Where should I apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rinkrat19

Re: Where should I apply?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 am

houseofny wrote:I am asking for suggestions on what schools I should apply to based on my grades.

I'm not asking to be bombarded with comments about how going to a lower-ranked school will prevent me from ever getting a job as an attorney. I appreciate the "warnings," but my current financial situation is allowing for me to study law, and that is what I plan on doing.

Do you think if I retake the LSAT in February, it will be too late to apply to law schools with that grade for Fall 2013 admission?

Our suggestion is that you apply to none.

Unless you literally only want a JD to hang on the wall and look pretty, and don't care about the cost that would result in crippling debt for most of us. In which case, go wherever you can get in.

The Feb LSAT is too late for most schools, especially decent schools.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:13 am

houseofny wrote:I am asking for suggestions on what schools I should apply to based on my grades.

I'm not asking to be bombarded with comments about how going to a lower-ranked school will prevent me from ever getting a job as an attorney. I appreciate the "warnings," but my current financial situation is allowing for me to study law, and that is what I plan on doing.

Do you think if I retake the LSAT in February, it will be too late to apply to law schools with that grade for Fall 2013 admission?

Most schools will hold their decision on your applications until that score is released, or if you tell them otherwise. So depending on the schools, it would not be too late

Apparently I am wrong .-. My bad
Last edited by Dmini7 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 am

Dammit OP. Here: http://myLSN.info/ehw15r

That's our normal data point. As you can see, it's not much help.

Apply to schools which would normally be your safety and take the full-ride with the biggest stipend. That's the best thing to do if you're hell-bent on going to law school.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Our suggestion is that you apply to none.

Unless you literally only want a JD to hang on the wall and look pretty, and don't care about the cost that would result in crippling debt for most of us. In which case, go wherever you can get in.

Traditionally February has been too late but with the decline in apps and schools cold calling applicants that may not be true anymore.

However, February may be too late to make a big improvement in your score - or it may not be, you need to start cramming now if you want to take it in 3 weeks

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:01 am

TripTrip wrote:

Dammit OP. Here: http://myLSN.info/ehw15r

That's our normal data point. As you can see, it's not much help.

Apply to schools which would normally be your safety and take the full-ride with the biggest stipend. That's the best thing to do if you're hell-bent on going to law school.

Alright. Syracuse.

And yes.

Best of luck in life.

Off topic to all the sane people in this thread: Who the hell got into Duke none URM with those numbers???

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Our suggestion is that you apply to none.

+1. Is this thread over yet?
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 am

The suggestion is no law school. Even if you can afford it, the ones you can get into now are a waste of money.

You must heed the warnings.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am

wert3813 wrote:Off topic to all the sane people in this thread: Who the hell got into Duke none URM with those numbers???

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/adgross

I don't think it's real considering the user listed Indiana-Indianapolis as preferred over Duke.

ETA: There's also an acceptance to Harvard in there from this user: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/timis85

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am

houseofny wrote:Didn't study for the LSAT...took it on a whim (and don't plan on retaking).

Thanks in advance (and please don't bash my grades)!

This HAS to be a flame. OP Comes to a forum where people spend countless hours, months (or years) preparing for what they believe is the hardest, most important exam of their lives, and she says something like this.

This website is called TOP law schools, not top 100 law schools.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am

lawschoolnumbers.com best of luck

Shanleigh17

Postby Shanleigh17 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Don't listen to the people who are bashing you. It doesn't mean that you are dumb or lesser than because you didn't have the time or money to spend on preparing for the LSAT. Your numbers aren't terrible, they're average, but I'm sure there are unique things about yourself that you can highlight to make you a better candidate. Maybe Michigan State? You should definitely not kill your dreams because a few people are putting you down. The rankings in the top 100 are not definitive markers of superior schools, but rather different data to help prospective students find the right fit. Some people need to get off their high horse, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Shanleigh17 wrote:Don't listen to the people who are bashing you. It doesn't mean that you are dumb or lesser than because you didn't have the time or money to spend on preparing for the LSAT. Your numbers aren't terrible, they're average, but I'm sure there are unique things about yourself that you can highlight to make you a better candidate. Maybe Michigan State? You should definitely not kill your dreams because a few people are putting you down. The rankings in the top 100 are not definitive markers of superior schools, but rather different data to help prospective students find the right fit. Some people need to get off their high horse, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Shanleigh17 wrote:Don't listen to the people who are bashing you. It doesn't mean that you are dumb or lesser than because you didn't have the time or money to spend on preparing for the LSAT. Your numbers aren't terrible, they're average, but I'm sure there are unique things about yourself that you can highlight to make you a better candidate. Maybe Michigan State? You should definitely not kill your dreams because a few people are putting you down. The rankings in the top 100 are not definitive markers of superior schools, but rather different data to help prospective students find the right fit. Some people need to get off their high horse, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Nah, not everyone is special. Just you.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm

While I'm disgusted that law schools are still able to essentially steal from people like you and the OP (and taxpayers), I do at least feel better when the people signing up for financial ruin and debt slavery are idiots who encountered all of the information necessary to make an intelligent decision (like yourselves) rather than idiots who didn't do adequate research.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Shanleigh17 wrote:Meaningless drivel with non sequiters peppered in.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Pretty sure Feb is too late for this cycle. Study for 3-7 months and take the LSAT later this year. Apply next cycle. Either that or don't go to LS. Taking the LSAT cold is not very smart. And it would be pretty idiotic of you if you didn't want to retake. Almost everyone on here is going to say retake or don't go.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Your 3.3 is low, but not crushing. A 153 on the other hand is pretty terrible, especially on TLS. The conventional wisdom on TLS is to retake, and thats for people who have like 165's, you need to, NEED to, retake. Even getting into the 160's boost your chance's at t50 schools, and for the schools youre in at now, you'd be able to get even larger scholly's. My advice, and pretty much everyone's, would be study your ass off for 6 months/1 year/2 years, however long it takes and get a 170+, that would get you into top 20's with a scholarship, and t-14 at sticker. If you dont retake, you'll be in a pretty bad law school, with some pretty big debt, and a very low chance at getting a good job to pay off the debt.
GL ! =]

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm

wert3813 wrote:

Nah, not everyone is special. Just you.

+1

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

sweet, another thread gets necroed because some assclown needs everybody to hear his worthless drivel

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Why do necros matter?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am

Ti Malice wrote:

While I'm disgusted that law schools are still able to essentially steal from people like you and the OP (and taxpayers), I do at least feel better when the people signing up for financial ruin and debt slavery are idiots who encountered all of the information necessary to make an intelligent decision (like yourselves) rather than idiots who didn't do adequate research.

Ditto. This is a good view on it.

akasabian

Postby akasabian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
houseofny wrote:Didn't study for the LSAT...took it on a whim (and don't plan on retaking).

153 LSAT & 3.3 UGPA.

Don't go to law school.

+1
Agree, not worth it unless you retake or have connections in the legal field where you will have a job after graduation.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm

you can do it OP. just be #1 in your class.

Return to “What are my chances?”