3.41/160 reaching and reaching hard Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DoYouEvenLift?

New

3.41/160 reaching and reaching hard

Post by DoYouEvenLift? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 am

I would like to know what you all think about U of Colorado- Boulder and UC Davis for me from the following info:

Ok, so my stats are 160/3.41

My GPA got torpedoed by some college credits I got from my military language training back in 2003. I got a 2.5 out of that

I had a 3.97 from community college that I attended after leaving the military

I transferred after CC and then had a 3.56 GPA from UC Berkeley.

Will the fact that the crappy grades were from 2003 make a difference?

Will military service(enlisted military intelligence)make a difference?

Your thoughts on the subject are appreciated!!! :D

Mick Haller

Silver

Re: 3.41/160 reaching and reaching hard

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 am

unless these schools are way more desperate now than in years past, I think you are out at both.

you shouldnt be considering these two schools at sticker anyway. you must retake or choose another career.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:--ImageRemoved--

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Nova wrote:
that poster is hilarious

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Your military service a great soft, but you really don't have the numbers to make your service a real factor. What are your alternatives to law school and, of course, are you willing to retake the LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

h_jane_w wrote:
Nova wrote:
that poster is hilarious
I wish there were more "Retake" posters out there. You can never have too many.

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 pm

For fun:

DoYouEvenLift?

New

Post by DoYouEvenLift? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Your military service a great soft, but you really don't have the numbers to make your service a real factor. What are your alternatives to law school and, of course, are you willing to retake the LSAT?
Lets see… alternatives to law school.

1. Find a nice cardboard box to live in
2. denounce all material wealth, take a vow of silence and become a monk
3. sell crack

also, its a little late to retake, and I don't think I'd get much higher if i did. my practice tests were 149-158.

why does everyone act like if you cant get a t-14 you shouldn't bother going to law school. not everyone wants to be Harvey Specter.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

DoYouEvenLift? wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Your military service a great soft, but you really don't have the numbers to make your service a real factor. What are your alternatives to law school and, of course, are you willing to retake the LSAT?
Lets see… alternatives to law school.

3. sell crack

also, its a little late to retake, and I don't think I'd get much higher if i did. my practice tests were 149-158.

why does everyone act like if you cant get a t-14 you shouldn't bother going to law school. not everyone wants to be Harvey Specter.
I take your point, but what are you going to do if you don't place in the top 10%, miss the BigLaw boat and have all that debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

I just graduated unemployed from UC Hastings, a peer school of UC Davis. While we tend to have an unemployment rate of roughly 10% higher than Davis, I can assure you things at Davis are far from rosy. OCI firms aren't hiring anyone outside of top 10% at Hastings, I assume it is roughly the same at Davis.

The rest are left to fight for scraps. There isn't much there. I finished top 15%, but grades don't matter much after OCI. It's all about the connections you can make and the work experience you acquire while in law school. California employers are fairly insular in terms of not wanting to hire outsiders.

I figure out of Davis or CU you're talking about a 5-10% chance of a highly desirable outcome, a 30-35% chance of a desirable outcome, and a 60%+ chance of a highly undesirable outcome. Not a good gamble of 200k+

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Mick Haller wrote:I just graduated unemployed from UC Hastings, a peer school of UC Davis. While we tend to have an unemployment rate of roughly 10% higher than Davis, I can assure you things at Davis are far from rosy. OCI firms aren't hiring anyone outside of top 10% at Hastings, I assume it is roughly the same at Davis.

The rest are left to fight for scraps. There isn't much there. I finished top 15%, but grades don't matter much after OCI. It's all about the connections you can make and the work experience you acquire while in law school. California employers are fairly insular in terms of not wanting to hire outsiders.

I figure out of Davis or CU you're talking about a 5-10% chance of a highly desirable outcome, a 30-35% chance of a desirable outcome, and a 60%+ chance of a highly undesirable outcome. Not a good gamble of 200k+
+1

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 pm

DoYouEvenLift? wrote:Lets see… alternatives to law school.

3. sell crack
1. Is likely if you graduate from the law schools you're considering with the debt you'll have.
2. Also known as chapter 11, which you'll want to file one year after graduation.
3. Actually a plausible method of funding law school. Plus you wouldn't be claiming your income on taxes and would thus still qualify for need-based aid. Hmmmm....

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

http://myLSN.info/ojaj1z

Your chances do not look good, but it could still be worth a shot. I assume you are not a URM since you didn't mention it, but just incase... are you a URM?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoYouEvenLift?

New

Post by DoYouEvenLift? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 am

Dmini7 wrote:http://myLSN.info/ojaj1z

Your chances do not look good, but it could still be worth a shot. I assume you are not a URM since you didn't mention it, but just incase... are you a URM?
Not URM… just poor and white.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:38 am

Your numbers fall within U of Colorado Boulder's 25th to 75th percentile marks, so I'd say there's a chance there. This isn't much to go off of, but: http://colorado.lawschoolnumbers.com/st ... Cycle=1213

UC Davis is going to be tough, though.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am

Because of your numbers, right now you are, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, disqualified to attend law school.

The great news for you is that you can become qualified by retaking the LSAT, which is the qualification test for law school. With your GPA you need to score probably around a 168+ to be qualified.

The bad news is that your gpa has almost certainly disqualified you from ever attending a school in California that is worth it. If you ultimately want to end up in CA you will need to attend a t14 (I recommend Northwestern for you) but you need to hit 170+. Or you need to pick another region of the country to work and then attend a law school there. If you let us know which regions you are thinking of we can recommend some schools. You might want to move there first to establish some ties while you work on LSAT prep.

Good luck!

DoYouEvenLift?

New

Post by DoYouEvenLift? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:Because of your numbers, right now you are, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, disqualified to attend law school.

The great news for you is that you can become qualified by retaking the LSAT, which is the qualification test for law school. With your GPA you need to score probably around a 168+ to be qualified.
Like I said before, why does everyone think that you cant be a lawyer unless you're in the t-14?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:54 pm

DoYouEvenLift? wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Because of your numbers, right now you are, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, disqualified to attend law school.

Like I said before, why does everyone think that you cant be a lawyer unless you're in the t-14?
I said for you, specifically, you have to go to a t14 if you want to be a lawyer in CA. Schools in CA that will accept that GPA just aren't worth the risk (unless you can maybe sneak into UCLA or USC with a very high score).

If you want to be a lawyer outside of CA there are most likely schools outside of the t14 we can recommend. Name a region.

DoYouEvenLift?

New

Post by DoYouEvenLift? » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

BigZuck wrote: If you want to be a lawyer outside of CA there are most likely schools outside of the t14 we can recommend. Name a region.
I have lived in California all my life and can truly say I've grown to hate it. I've got the numbers for U of Denver. Hoping they'll throw me some money. Otherwise my cardboard box idea might be coming true

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm

DoYouEvenLift? wrote:
BigZuck wrote: If you want to be a lawyer outside of CA there are most likely schools outside of the t14 we can recommend. Name a region.
I have lived in California all my life and can truly say I've grown to hate it. I've got the numbers for U of Denver. Hoping they'll throw me some money. Otherwise my cardboard box idea might be coming true
University of Denver would just put off cardboard box living for three years. But after that...

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

What is so special about Colorado anyway? Denver legal market is tough to crack. Might as well move to Montana or Idaho. Scenery is the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Mick Haller wrote:What is so special about Colorado anyway? Denver legal market is tough to crack. Might as well move to Montana or Idaho. Scenery is the same.
OP clearly wants to smoke pot recreationally

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:54 pm

OP, retake to get money at regionals

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am

DoYouEvenLift? wrote:Like I said before, why does everyone think that you cant be a lawyer unless you're in the t-14?
That's not what it's about, dude. You are considering gambling a quarter million dollars you don't have on a 30% chance of becoming a lawyer that makes ~$50,000 a year.

Do you really think that us telling you that such an OBVIOUSLY BAD DECISION is an OBVIOUSLY BAD DECISION is part of some elitist conspiracy? That's fucking stupid.

If you actually want to be a lawyer, then put in the work and
Nova wrote:retake to get money at regionals.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:32 pm

North wrote:
DoYouEvenLift? wrote:Like I said before, why does everyone think that you cant be a lawyer unless you're in the t-14?
That's not what it's about, dude. You are considering gambling a quarter million dollars you don't have on a 30% chance of becoming a lawyer that makes ~$50,000 a year.

Do you really think that us telling you that such an OBVIOUSLY BAD DECISION is an OBVIOUSLY BAD DECISION is part of some elitist conspiracy? That's fucking stupid.

If you actually want to be a lawyer, then put in the work and
Nova wrote:retake to get money at regionals.
+1. It's not worth the risk, OP. Retake. You'd surprised at how much of a difference 4 or 5 points higher on your LSAT can make on what sort of options you have for school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”