3.65/169 to t14 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: 3.65/169 to t14

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

You're a 20 year old k-jd who believes pushing through to law school is a good idea. You also believe that schools average. You have much to learn my friend, poke around this site for a while and you will learn a lot.

If I were you I would apply now, tell schools you are retaking in February, retake in February, and if you don't like your results then retake in June and possibly reapply. No downside in retaking.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Rlabo wrote:Trip trip, supposedly some schools average scores such as nyu. Ur also saying tht doing worse wont hurt my app so I have nothing's lose takin feb, but it's not only doing worse which could hurt but also compounded by the loss of time by taking feb and applying then. I also lose a few schools whose app deadlines are feb1. For these reasons along with the slim amount of time i would have to prepare for feb as I'm still taking a heavy course load at school and only have a few weeks, I can't see feb being a very viable option. If anything, I would take June but I really don't want to push off a year.
SCHOOLS (other than Yale) DON'T AVERAGE SCORES.

Ok let me get this straight. You don't want to retake because the school you can't get into with your current score might look down upon a higher score.

Nobody is talking about applying in February. When people say retake, they mean June.

I also knew a guy who knew this guy whose cousin also became President. You aren't going to transfer to Harvard.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Rlabo wrote:Tiago, I personally know someone who scored a 165 went to Fordham for a year and transferred to Harvard and now currently works in one of the top law firms in NYC, so yes I do think they will take transfers. I'm obviously not relying on tht as I do think I have a decent to old shot at cornell/duke and the others are gonna be hopefully on my app, it's a last option.
Of course they take transfers. But you need to be in the top 10% of your class to transfer from Fordham to Harvard, and someone in the top 10% at Fordham is likely to land a BigLaw job anyway. Problem is you can't count on landing in the top 10% of your class. If you go to Fordham and finish in the middle of the pack you have no chance of transferring and a very high chance of being screwed.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm

nebula666 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Trip trip, supposedly some schools average scores such as nyu. Ur also saying tht doing worse wont hurt my app so I have nothing's lose takin feb, but it's not only doing worse which could hurt but also compounded by the loss of time by taking feb and applying then. I also lose a few schools whose app deadlines are feb1. For these reasons along with the slim amount of time i would have to prepare for feb as I'm still taking a heavy course load at school and only have a few weeks, I can't see feb being a very viable option. If anything, I would take June but I really don't want to push off a year.

Ok let me get this straight. You don't want to retake because the school you can't get into with your current score might look down upon a higher score.

Nobody is talking about applying in February. When people say retake, they mean June.

I also knew a guy who knew this guy whose cousin also became President. You aren't going to transfer to Harvard.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:06 pm

nebula666 wrote:

I also knew a guy who knew this guy whose cousin also became President. You aren't going to transfer to Harvard.[/quote

From the horse's mouth: the Yale adcom said they see and "consider" all scores. No mention of averaging.

Absolutely no downside to retaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Obviously they wouldnt look down at higher score, they would look down at a lower score like a 163-65. With a 169 I don't plan to go to Fordham. I plan more on a Cornell/duke and I think that's realistic, no? A lot of ppl above have explicitly said "retake feb." I'm not saying I'm gettin into Harvard or transferring there either, I'm saying it's not impossible. Besides its not my cousins friends dogs aunt, twice removed. Its a guy I know very well, we just went to dinner the other night in fact.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Anecdotal evidence is not useful unless there's enough of it that we can determine patterns and specific trends based on an array of responses.

If only there were some website where hundreds of thousands of law school applicants submitted their LSAT and GPA and that data were aggregated to allow mathematical predictions of acceptance...

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

TripTrip wrote:Anecdotal evidence is not useful unless there's enough of it that we can determine patterns and specific trends based on an array of responses.

If only there were some website where hundreds of thousands of law school applicants submitted their LSAT and GPA and that data were aggregated to allow mathematical predictions of acceptance...

YES

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Rlabo wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Anecdotal evidence is not useful unless there's enough of it that we can determine patterns and specific trends based on an array of responses.

YES
Can't tell if serious. Just in case:

some website where hundreds of thousands of law school applicants submitted their LSAT and GPA and that data is aggregated to allow mathematical predictions of acceptance (LinkRemoved)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

If u were being sarcastic and referring to the numbers from this site, I would say as helpful as they are as a gauge, they do not offer enough data for a reliable sample size with only a handful of applicants taken account for. So yes I was being serious.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Rlabo wrote:If u were being sarcastic and referring to the numbers from this site, I would say as helpful as they are as a gauge, they do not offer enough data for a reliable sample size with only a handful of applicants taken account for. So yes I was being serious.
I don't think 200,000 quite counts as just a "handful." The site I linked in big letters covers 10-12% of all the applicants for each of the T14 schools. It is NOT a small sample size.

That, and the acceptance data correlates extremely well with the published data.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Cornell is TCR for you. Why exactly can you not push off a year?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm currently looking at the site with LSAT range of a 167-170 and no range on gpa just my 3.65. Under these conditions there about 20 +/- applicants for t14. Are my limits to concise?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Rlabo wrote:I'm currently looking at the site with LSAT range of a 167-170 and no range on gpa just my 3.65. Under these conditions there about 20 +/- applicants for t14. Are my limits to concise?
http://myLSN.info/k2tkd7

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Rlabo wrote:I'm currently looking at the site with LSAT range of a 167-170 and no range on gpa just my 3.65. Under these conditions there about 20 +/- applicants for t14. Are my limits to concise?
http://myLSN.info/qy4yst

Widen the gpa range, narrow the LSAT.

Don't see you getting into Duke when applying this late in the cycle.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm taking 20 credits this next and last semester with all my hardest classes; I wouldn't bet on my GPA increasing to a 3.7 which is why i left that number constant. This is what i was looking at * http://myLSN.info/cnemy8 *

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Cornell is TCR for you. Why exactly can you not push off a year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Rlabo wrote:I'm taking 20 credits this next and last semester with all my hardest classes; I wouldn't bet on my GPA increasing to a 3.7 which is why i left that number constant. This is what i was looking at * http://myLSN.info/cnemy8 *
I would get off TLS and start studying for FEB.

Realtalk.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Rlabo wrote:I'm taking 20 credits this next and last semester with all my hardest classes; I wouldn't bet on my GPA increasing to a 3.7 which is why i left that number constant. This is what i was looking at * http://myLSN.info/cnemy8 *
You're including 170 in your range. This is wrong. 170 is the median for a lot of schools.

170>>>>>>>>>169

You have a lot to learn, please read around this site and please be receptive.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I included a 170 as that was the next point up from my score and given that I've gotten numerous ppl advising me to retake, tht would be me going up.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Rlabo wrote:I included a 170 as that was the next point up from my score and given that I've gotten numerous ppl advising me to retake, tht would be me going up.
No no, the link you gave (http://mylsn.info/cnemy8) is not representative. The range is not supposed to be a change in scores... it's static. It only factors in everyone's highest LSAT, even though a lot of the people in the LSN data retook.

You're supposed to use a wide GPA range to get a bigger sample size. We widen GPA because LSAT medians are more important than GPA medians. Use something like +/- 0.15 of your GPA; usually that range is helpful.

At your LSAT score, leave it static at 169 and increase it point by point to see the difference. There is a huge jump in acceptances for each point from 169 to 173, which is why we so strongly recommend retaking. Outside of the 168-173 range, single point increases become much less significant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I think what it comes down to is whether or not I'm gonna put off law school for a year. I think a good idea was to apply for this cycle and if need be, retake either june or oct. Does that make sense?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Rlabo wrote:Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I think what it comes down to is whether or not I'm gonna put off law school for a year. I think a good idea was to apply for this cycle and if need be, retake either june or oct. Does that make sense?
Yes it does!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Rlabo wrote:Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I think what it comes down to is whether or not I'm gonna put off law school for a year. I think a good idea was to apply for this cycle and if need be, retake either june or oct. Does that make sense?
Assuming you can keep your costs down from now until June, retaking should be economically feasible. You'll also have the option to take the test a third time in October. You should start studying immediately.

2 more points will get you NYU with some $, plus a better chance at biglaw. From an economic standpoint, his is definitely better than paying slightly under sticker at Cornell now.

3-4 points will get you Columbia or NYU with significant $.

You can definitely increase your score by 2 points between now and June, especially because you will likely find a few small areas in which you struggle that you can focus on and correct. You've already shown that you can get 169; 172 is really not that far off.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Right now you could probably get into Cornell, Georgetown and MAYBE michigan (assuming you could come up with a half way decent PS, resume, and if you applied early). You'll get waitlisted from Duke. Out everywhere else

Retake.

Done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”