3.65/169 to t14 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
totoro

Bronze

Re: 3.65/169 to t14

Post by totoro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Trip Trip: The website you refer to has data from 200,000 applications, not people. While it can be helpful as a gauge, it's not always helpful as a mass of accurate/aggregate data that can reliably show you how your numbers will do. When each person applies to 10 schools, that's significantly less people. Also, after you filter out the URM's, ED's, and all the early apps before January, there's significantly less data. Plus since school medians have dropped, data from more than a few years ago becomes a bit useless.

But yes, OP, you're still very young, if you think you can do better than a 169 with more studying, you should definitely try for next cycle.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 pm

totoro wrote:Trip Trip: The website you refer to has data from 200,000 applications, not people. While it can be helpful as a gauge, it's not always helpful as a mass of accurate/aggregate data that can reliably show you how your numbers will do. When each person applies to 10 schools, that's significantly less people. Also, after you filter out the URM's, ED's, and all the early apps before January, there's significantly less data. Plus since school medians have dropped, data from more than a few years ago becomes a bit useless.

But yes, OP, you're still very young, if you think you can do better than a 169 with more studying, you should definitely try for next cycle.
Yes, but LSN applicants still account for 10%+ of the applications for each of the T14. As for medians, yes they dropped slightly, but they spiked a few years ago. If you want to compensate, look at ~2007 acceptance rates.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:05 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Cornell is TCR for you. Why exactly can you not push off a year?

missed this one. Cannot is a strong word, but the main reason is just in the value of time. If I push off a year thts a year wasted, especially if i dont end up with a better score in a better school.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:41 pm

ive been using this as a gauge http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ny#admissions wonder what you guys think about these numbers

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

Rlabo wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Cornell is TCR for you. Why exactly can you not push off a year?

missed this one. Cannot is a strong word, but the main reason is just in the value of time. If I push off a year thts a year wasted, especially if i dont end up with a better score in a better school.
One more year is worth the rest of your life? Go travel or do something you won't be able to do for the first twenty years after you graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Rlabo wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:

I understand. On the other hand, a couple more points on the LSAT could drastically increase your chances of opening up better schools, more money, and a better future. Probably worth a year just for the chance to do that. Even if you didn't increase your score you could travel or work for a year and save up some money.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:37 pm

I can see how that makes sense. What makes sense to me is to apply now, but keep studying for June. If i get in to a t14 school with some money I probably wont take June but if i don't it'll be my backup plan. I really do feel that Cornell is a very underrated school at #14 on us news. The fact that Yale is #1 and not Harvard is also beyond me. If i could get into Upenn with my scores though, as i feel i have a better shot their then NYU, that would be awesome.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

0% chance at Penn. Gotta retake and hit 170+ if you want Penn.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Rlabo wrote: I really do feel that Cornell is a very underrated school at #14 on us news. The fact that Yale is #1 and not Harvard is also beyond me.
The first is true; Cornell beats out Georgetown. If you get a scholarship, it's comparable to Columbia and NYU. If you want to work in NY, it is a better choice than Berkeley at the same COA.

The second part is just because the "H-bomb" factor though. Yale is better than Harvard according to basically everyone who knows anything about law school, except maybe Jessica Sobahn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm

This may sound naive, but for me the difference between Harvard and Yale is the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Once your at that level your pretty well off at either choice. Harvard is also perceived at a higher level outside the law school sphere just by the power of the "h-bomb" as you put it.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Rlabo wrote:This may sound naive, but for me the difference between Harvard and Yale is the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Once your at that level your pretty well off at either choice. Harvard is also perceived at a higher level outside the law school sphere just by the power of the "h-bomb" as you put it.
By lay people, yes. By people in the legal profession, not really.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm

It also really depends what your looking for. I'm looking to work in new york so for me Columbia is possibly a better choice than Harvard or Yale given its 99% job placement (which is hard # to use as given what may possibly be included to get that #,) and being in the same city. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ny#basic These scores reflect what I'm talking about and though it says Virginia is #1 for employment score, they only have 12.5% of applicants working in NY verses the 60% that Columbia has. Also Columbia has the highest percentage of graduates working at big law firms (100+ attorneys.) If i got into both (which I know I'm not, speaking purely hypothetical,) it wouldn't be an easy decision to say Harvard over Columbia. There are many factors to consider.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Rlabo wrote:It also really depends what your looking for. I'm looking to work in new york so for me Columbia is possibly a better choice than Harvard or Yale given its 99% job placement (which is hard # to use as given what may possibly be included to get that #,) and being in the same city. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ny#basic These scores reflect what I'm talking about and though it says Virginia is #1 for employment score, they only have 12.5% of applicants working in NY verses the 60% that Columbia has. Also Columbia has the highest percentage of graduates working at big law firms (100+ attorneys.) If i got into both (which I know I'm not, speaking purely hypothetical,) it wouldn't be an easy decision to say Harvard over Columbia. There are many factors to consider.
Rlabo wrote:It also really depends what your looking for. I'm looking to work in new york so for me Columbia is possibly a better choice than Harvard or Yale given its 99% job placement (which is hard # to use as given what may possibly be included to get that #,) and being in the same city. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=ny#basic These scores reflect what I'm talking about and though it says Virginia is #1 for employment score, they only have 12.5% of applicants working in NY verses the 60% that Columbia has. Also Columbia has the highest percentage of graduates working at big law firms (100+ attorneys.) If i got into both (which I know I'm not, speaking purely hypothetical,) it wouldn't be an easy decision to say Harvard over Columbia. There are many factors to consider.
I don't think you're fully using that correctly. La Verne is there for California, Duke is not. If you wanted CA would you choose La Verne over Duke?

Actual placement does not always equal placement power.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Well I think you have to use it consciously. As Columbia is a t14 school and one of the top schools in the country period, the numbers make more sense in context. The site also takes into account, or at least attempts to, all of the flaws that us news rankings has when applied to reality.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Also La verne is there as being a school in CA and therefore a school that some1 looking to work/live in CA would be interested in. The score it receives is not a strong one either. It is probably the equivalent of going to St. Johns for NY prospective student. The lack of data on Duke doesn't necessarily mean that La Verne is a better school.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Like said above, placement is not the same as placement power. A lot of students at Yale and Harvard self-select out of working NY biglaw, even though they could (because they want to do PI/clerkship/whatevs).

If you want to work in NY and you get a Hamilton at Columbia versus just an acceptance at Harvard, then Columbia makes sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”