Pepperdine: what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
old joe clark

Pepperdine: what are my chances?

Postby old joe clark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey hope y'all all had a great New Years!

Ok, I have been accepted to some of my top schools which I'm very happy about. However, I'm curious if any of you know what kind of merit scholarship for Pepperdine I am looking at with a 163 LSAT and a 3.65 GPA? They are one of the last to respond and I am just wondering what I should be expecting?

Thanks in advance!

Ps-
Sorry for the typos, I'm on my phone.
Last edited by old joe clark on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nebula666

Re: Pepperdine: what are my chances?

Postby nebula666 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Probably around $50k but don't go to Pepperdine.

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Care to elaborate? Not saying it isn't good advice, just curious as to your reason for saying it?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm

old joe clark wrote:Care to elaborate? Not saying it isn't good advice, just curious as to your reason for saying it?

On TLS people do not agree that going to Pepperdine with less than a Full ride is worth it.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=pepperdine

those numbers are not worth the mountain of debt incurred (even with your scholarship its still around 200k if you take into account living expenses)

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 pm

I understand. I am in a position, however, that wherever I go I will be graduating 100% debt free. With my score and GPA where would you reccomend going? Thanks for your responses!

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 pm

old joe clark wrote:I understand. I am in a position, however, that wherever I go I will be graduating 100% debt free. With my score and GPA where would you reccomend going? Thanks for your responses!

I am assuming you don't have any URM stats? What other schols did you get into? Do you have a job already lined up along with being 100% debt free?

If you have a job, I would take whatever costs the least. Pepperdine is located in Malibu(a very very pretty area). I would discuss your other options you are looking into, and is there a stipulation on the scholarship? It sounds like you will be debt free regardless, but it would still be nice for whoever is footing the bill if you could get the stip removed or lowered if it is unfavorable. Lastly, you may be able to use Pepperdine's money as leverage from other schools you may find more favorable.

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I am not URM. I have a big alumni/donor talking to some people at U Texas and if I get in there I am going (in state and higher rank). If Pepperdine's scholarship isn't very competetive with everywhere else than I won't go. Right now I am using scholarships from my other schools to further increase or better my already existing scholarships, and plan on doing the same for Pepperdine. Like I said earlier, thankfully I am blessed to be able to go to law school with no loans. However, I don't want to give my parents a redicoulous bill if it isn't necessary. I have always wanted to end up on SoCal (I'm from Texas) but it would be hard to turn down UT.

FWIW I have been accepted to:

FSU
Baylor
Houston
ASU
UC Davis
UC Hastings
Minnesota
San Diego
Washington U
GWU
Wait listed at Fordham
And more...
Last edited by old joe clark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 pm

old joe clark wrote:I am not URM. I have a big alumni/donor talking to some people at U Texas and if I get in there I am going (in state and higher rank). If Pepperdine's scholarship isn't very competetive with everywhere else than I won't go. Right now I am using schorships from my other schools to further increase or better my already existing scholarships and plan on doing the same for Pepperdine. Like I said earlier, thankfully I am blessed to be able to go to law school with no loans. However, I don't want to give my parents a redicoulous bill if it isn't necessary. I have always wanted to end up on SoCal (I'm from Texas) but it would be hard to turn down UT.

FWIW I have been accepted to:
(List)

I will edit on this post with a futher analysis, but first I would like to mention: If you want to work in orange County, I would imagine UT would look very very good here (OC is like its own mini Texas in Socal). Any of those schools have scholarships with them? Or ones you would attend? San Diego's stats are nearly identical to Pepperdine, but you may be able to use the two to leverage money from eachother. Minnesota is a great school.... but it is in Minnesota. I hope someone more knowledgeable will post here to better direct you, but if money isn't an issue it really comes down to personal preference/best job prospects. For job prospects, you can generally look at the rankings or Law school reports.

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Thank you for your responses. I've gotten scholarships from most. Obviously, some are bigger than others. The only reason Pepperdine is more appealing to me than USD is because there are a lot of Pepperdine alumni in Texas. It would be a lot easier to come back to Texas from Peppedine than it would from USD. I think because Pepperdine is such a conservative school and a lot of it's alumni are from TX.

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 am

Any other responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 am

kappycaft1 wrote:I was, am, and will continue to be in a position where I have no financial support from parents or friends (for certain reasons), and have to work a shit-ton to take care of my own family, so taking time off in the evenings to study for the LSAT was a huge burden... I therefore didn't have it in me to retake after I got a disappointing 166. If you have someone (parents) who are willing to pay for you to go to law school, have them instead pay to support you while you do nothing but study for the LSAT; you will be able to repay them 20 fold with the money you save them from scholarships, and you will be able to go to a good school. If you have family who is willing to support you, I wouldn't go to law school until I had at least gotten a mid-170s score on the LSAT.

So much this. Why waste your parents' money when you don't have to? Reward them later on in life rather than possibly delaying/doing away with their retirement. It only helps yourself as well- it's your career.

old joe clark

Postby old joe clark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you for the responses. Still looking for more responses about what kind of scholarships to expect? Thanks.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 pm

old joe clark wrote:Thank you for the responses. Still looking for more responses about what kind of scholarships to expect? Thanks.

Still around $50k...nobody is going to tell you anything different.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Bro... if youre not going to retake, just stay in Texas and go to SHB. Job prospects are way better.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Your parents are rich and YOLO so go whereever you want. Seriously, that's awesome. I can't imagine a nicer place to go to school than Pepperdine. I bet you would really enjoy yourself there and you don't have to pay for it so just go there. If I had to choose between enjoyment and non-enjoyment I would choose enjoyment every time. Plus it is in LA and you want to end up there so that might be helpful.

If you want to go to a school with good employment prospects then you need to retake. But seriously I wouldn't worry about it because you have your parents to fall back on so might as well just go whereever you will enjoy the most.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:19 pm

old joe clark wrote:Thank you for the responses. Still looking for more responses about what kind of scholarships to expect? Thanks.

That's already been answered, there's not much more to say. Unless you're a URM or have some special circumstances we aren't aware of, LSN should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what kind of scholarship money you'll get.

That said, I agree with the others who've already said it: Pepperdine is a pretty terrible investment for your parents.

Return to “What are my chances?”