How much does residency matter for UVA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ncc5

New

How much does residency matter for UVA?

Post by ncc5 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm a 172/3.57 resident of Virginia and was wondering how much being a resident helps in getting into to UVA relative to applying ED? I ask because NYU is my top choice, but it seems like its a toss-up for getting in there. UVA is a toss-up with my numbers as well, but with ED my chances seem to go up much higher (according to LSN, LSP and the like), and UVA is a close second.

I know that 40% of the incoming class is instate students, which puts the acceptance rate at a pretty high number, but is it lower than the ED rate? My question is would I be stupid to ED knowing that I get at least a slight bump for being a VA resident, or does my residency not help nearly as much as an ED. Sorry in advance if no one has a way of answering this.

Dmini7

Silver

Re: How much does residency matter for UVA?

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Personally, I think you would be wise to ride the cycle out and try your best at NYU first. I think your a near lock at UVA due to your instate status, and you shouldn't ED out of fear of lack of scholarship offered by the school

edit: To elaborate. Last year there were only 678 virginia residents applying (of that ~140 were accepted), and you scored a 172, which puts you in the top 2k test takers. I highly doubt(although it isnt impossible, that 140 other in-state students have the same numbers. You are above there 75% on LSAT, and they love those kinds of splitters (and TBH a 3.57 isn't really a splitter). If NYU is your top choice and your worried there, wouldnt your ED be better used for that school?

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 am

It's too late to ED for NYU (I am applying this cycle), and was asking because I could always switch my UVA app to ED if I wanted to. Thanks a lot for the information, I guess I never really thought of the unlikelihood of many instate students having my numbers.

Percival Jenkins

New

Post by Percival Jenkins » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 am

ncc5 wrote:It's too late to ED for NYU (I am applying this cycle), and was asking because I could always switch my UVA app to ED if I wanted to. Thanks a lot for the information, I guess I never really thought of the unlikelihood of many instate students having my numbers.
http://myLSN.info/vaibce

Looks like you are actually good for NYU without an ED.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:14 am

Don't ED. You should get both RD.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Don't ED. You should get both RD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”