CUNY LAW chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rcp221

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby rcp221 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

Wow this has gotten of topic.......anyway

I'm not going to sit out a year and retake wherever I get in will be fine. CUNY has what i want and 5 more Qs right on the LSAt would have put me at their median but it is what it is . My numbers are good enough to get money off lower tier schools and maybe slip in a higher tier school. New England Law gave me 20k and i like their public interest program
so like anything else it is what you make of it.... Remember there is a person behind the numbers!

:-)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Yes there are people behind the numbers. People behind the huge numbers of unemployed grads every year from places like CUNY.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

rcp221 wrote:Wow this has gotten of topic.......anyway

I'm not going to sit out a year and retake wherever I get in will be fine. CUNY has what i want and 5 more Qs right on the LSAt would have put me at their median but it is what it is . My numbers are good enough to get money off lower tier schools and maybe slip in a higher tier school. New England Law gave me 20k and i like their public interest program
so like anything else it is what you make of it.... Remember there is a person behind the numbers!

:-)

Well, you can't say you weren't warned. It would serve you well to investigate a little further the risk you seem so casually prepared to take.

For the class of 2011, just 29.5% were reported to hold full-time, long-term, JD-required positions (non-solo). Since the response rate to the survey was a mere 23.4%, rest assured that the actual number is much worse. Debt-financed cost of attendance for the class of 2016 is $234K. Your $20K scholarship is a drop in the bucket and probably comes with terrible stips anyway. Does that really seem to you like a reasonable amount of non-dischargeable debt to take on for far worse than a coin flip's chance of getting an actual legal job?

rcp221

Postby rcp221 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:20 pm

What's the point of worrying about things out of my control. I have confidence I will get a job after I graduate.... That's all I need.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Nothing is out of your control. No one is forcing you to make this horrible decision.

Anyway, good luck with that. Far better that you're going than someone who never even encountered any of the information necessary to make an intelligent decision.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

rcp221 wrote:What's the point of worrying about things out of my control. I have confidence I will get a job after I graduate.... That's all I need.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:25 pm

rcp221 wrote:What's the point of worrying about things out of my control. I have confidence I will get a job after I graduate.... That's all I need.

lolwut

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Troll?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Do you think a single person entered CUNY School of Law expecting not to get a job? Yet only 1/3 of them did. It is the same as when people say 'I'm confident I'll be above median in law school and then I'll get a job' - stop and think about it for a second: how many people enter law school expecting to be in the bottom half of the class? Probably just about no one. Yet 50% of them end up in the bottom half. This is exactly the same. Do you think any of your future CUNY Law classmates are entering with the expectation that they won't get a job? No, of course not. But 2/3 of them (or so) won't.

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:32 am

So sad that people just repeat what they heard without backing it up.

First, check out nalp.org to get more accurate information on the NYC legal market. (You will see that even with 13 schools, the overall NYC job market is steady.)

Second, statistics posted on lstscorereports.COM are slightly misleading. Assuming the stats are true, they post CUNY's employment score (in their opinion) at 36% with a salary response score of 28% on the "key stats" page. Click over to the "salaries" tab and you get to the "real" numbers:
[*]74.7% employed (28.8% salary reported +45.9% salary not reported)
[*]25.2% unemployed (including people who didn't respond)

compare to ...
Columbia : 94% employed; cost= $288K
NYU : 95.7% employed; cost= $280K
St John's : 84.8% employed; cost= $261K
Rutgers (Newark) : 60.1% employed; cost= $229K
other schools mysteriously did not provide number sufficient to generate reports

cost for Cuny based on LSTscorereports.com = $137K.

So...my advice is (1) do a lil research don't believe the hype, not even this post.
(2) don't go to any law school unless its your life-long dream and you figured out a way to keep expenses way low and job prospects high...(start networking now, like right now... seriously go now).

thand42292

Postby thand42292 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 am

wontpanic wrote:Second, statistics posted on lstscorereports.COM are slightly misleading. Assuming the stats are true, they post CUNY's employment score (in their opinion) at 36% with a salary response score of 28% on the "key stats" page. Click over to the "salaries" tab and you get to the "real" numbers:

compare to ...
other schools mysteriously did not provide number sufficient to generate reports

So...my advice is (1) do a lil research don't believe the hype, not even this post.
(2) don't go to any law school unless its your life-long dream and you figured out a way to keep expenses way low and job prospects high...(start networking now, like right now... seriously go now).

Bollocks! Many of those jobs are not legal jobs that is the purpose of going to law school in the first place. Read the reasoning behind their statistics and you'll see why they paint them that way. A 25% unemployment rate is a Great Depression level rate. Don't whitewash it the numbers aren't good. If someone really wants to risk it they're better off taking that bet than other area schools at sticker. But if you can only get into those schools at sticker, you should retake.

1/4 of people at Cornell don't get full time legal jobs. Only around 55% get jobs that can pay back sticker, reasonably. That's a risk, albeit a controlled risk.
CUNY has a much higher risk of unemployment but a built in (relatively) low debt option that could save you. Either way don't replace analyzed broken down stats with the shit stats in school advertising put out. It's useless. Check yourself.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm

wontpanic wrote:So sad that people just repeat what they heard without backing it up.

First, check out nalp.org to get more accurate information on the NYC legal market. (You will see that even with 13 schools, the overall NYC job market is steady.)

Second, statistics posted on lstscorereports.COM are slightly misleading. Assuming the stats are true, they post CUNY's employment score (in their opinion) at 36% with a salary response score of 28% on the "key stats" page. Click over to the "salaries" tab and you get to the "real" numbers:

compare to ...

You must not understand what LST is doing. The "Employment Score" is full-time, permanent, non-school funded, JD-required jobs, i.e. real lawyer jobs. Only 36% of CUNY grads fall into that category. Other stats on LST, such as salary data, include other forms of employment.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Wontpanic was on here for an entire application cycle and still chose to attend CUNY. He/she said in one post -- made more than seven months after joining -- that because CUNY doesn't rank, "there isn't that pressure to be at the top." I mean...wow. Some people just want to be fooled.

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I have no idea what you are talking about but good for you for having the time to re-quote me on some year-old posts...
It no secret that people who go to CUNY are about going into public interest and doing something greater than a desk jobs. So, yes there are those that will work for NGO's or seek public interest fellowships and grants to support their endeavors after LS.
Personally, I'd prefer to be a traditional lawyer. That said, I have a paying internship lined up and I know what I have to do during LS to get a permanent, full time job.
My COL is low so I chose to go with a low debt, high risk option. I don't think I would've gone to LS if not for CUNY.
Please don't misinterpret my message to say that CUNY is a good option for anyone... its a reasonable option for a very small amount of people who know what they want, have connections/experience to get it, and need a cheap law degree.
OP can take that for what it is.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:43 pm

wontpanic wrote:Please don't misinterpret my message to say that CUNY is a good option for anyone... its a reasonable option for a very small amount of people who know what they want, have connections/experience to get it, and need a cheap law degree.

I think we're in agreement then. I just wanted to clarify your post about the job data for OP's sake.

rcp221

Postby rcp221 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

Well I decided to go to Quinnipiac instead, got good money off and am from CT.

romo, pirate and stillwater....first of all the 3 of you can go fuck yourself. The fact that you guys have thousands of posts show that you just post in forums all day. Try going outside and breathing some fresh air. A bunch of bitter fools who have bottled up frustration..

Now that this process is over I wont be on these forums again. Everyone else good luck....Have confidence in yourself and don't believe all the bullshit on the internet because most of it is untrue.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am

rcp221 wrote:Well I decided to go to Quinnipiac instead, got good money off and am from CT.

romo, pirate and stillwater....first of all the 3 of you can go fuck yourself. The fact that you guys have thousands of posts show that you just post in forums all day. Try going outside and breathing some fresh air. A bunch of bitter fools who have bottled up frustration..

Now that this process is over I wont be on these forums again. Everyone else good luck....Have confidence in yourself and don't believe all the bullshit on the internet because most of it is untrue.

Please come back and tell us how your job search is going after OCI.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am

rcp221 wrote:Well I decided to go to Quinnipiac instead, got good money off and am from CT.

Lol go look at the employment stats

Quinnipiac = crap

rcp221

Postby rcp221 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm guaranteed to take over a practice of a family friend who is in his 60's. So mark me down as having a job after graduation.

Quinnipiac is crap? Another moron with 10,000 posts. Hey I just read Tupac is alive

rcp221

Postby rcp221 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Quinnipiac = crap

Bro you average 20 posts a day. How about getting some
Pussy for a change. I don't need to look at employment stats, I already work
In the office I'm going to run in 3 years. Solid practice that has ran over 30 years. Large cliental base. Get in the real world and stop basing your life on stats your inbred

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm

rcp221 wrote:Bro you average 20 posts a day. How about getting some
In the office I'm going to run in 3 years. Solid practice that has ran over 30 years. Large cliental base. Get in the real world and stop basing your life on stats your inbred

so much for quitting TLS

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

rcp221 wrote:Bro you average 20 posts a day. How about getting some

Predicting some solid development in legal writing.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

You're an idiot. No one you're responding to is "bitter." All of the people you're addressing are either attending or have graduated from T14s or strong regional schools with large scholarships. All are looking at good outcomes.

Q-pac with minimal debt is fine for someone who has a guaranteed job lined up (which does not describe the vast majority of law students). It's a festering shithole otherwise, and the ABA-compiled stats don't lie.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck

I take issue with your analysis, Woman.

You put down using objective data that indicates that only about 1 in 4 CUNY Law grads have a reported salary, and only half of these 1 in 4 got a job paying 50k or more. When you factor in taxes, assuming that with COL, one owes 95k in loans and they're only coming home with 35k after taxes (and these are the lucky ones), how are they living a good life? Okay, money isn't everything but we're talking 1 in 8 graduates making 650 a week minus about 250 a week in loan repayment - that's $400 a week. That means the lucky ones are sharing an apartment in NYC and making as much as a cashier at Trader Joe's while working more hours.

The top of the class is making as much as a cashier at Trader Joe's, but likely works longer hours for this quality of life and cashiers at TJ's in NYC would actually likely come across better career opportunities in conversations with the customers.

Your anecdotal stories of people you know having jobs - have you deciphered if they're top of the class?

It's not elitist. It's that if you want to be a lawyer, how can you in good faith suggest rather than retaking the LSAT and having a chance at a good quality of life, somebody go for a 1:8 chance of living like a cashier, and a 7/8 chance of having a much worse quality of life?

Or are you just biased and trying to justify your weak decision to not retake?

It's not elitist. It's called not being an idiot. There are good jobs to be had, why would you punt on them?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 pm

rcp221 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Quinnipiac = crap

Bro you average 20 posts a day. How about getting some

Yo what's your victory lap about? You made a dumb decision. LOL at inbreds basing decision off stats. It's much smarter to base it off of having a job at some mom and pop crappy as small firm that is paying you 10/hour to do bitch work - that's the sophisticated analysis. Congrats! You are going to be 200k in debt with no job prospects. You can do better on the LSAT, and live a good life.

When you're in the hole and blaming the economy for all your worries, and the "elitism" of it all, I want you to remember that you were informed and should only blame yourself.

You are in the 3rd best law school in a tiny ass state. What %age of your class will be paying off their debt? 5?

Return to “What are my chances?”