CUNY LAW chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:27 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:I think CUNY is a better choice than Hofstra, Pace, St. John's, Rutgers, etc.

12k a year tuition for a degree with little job prospect is better than 50k a year tuition for a degree with little job prospect.

Even if what you said were true (which can be contested especially wrt Rutgers in state), you're basically saying that shooting yourself in the scrotum is a better choice than shooting yourself in the face.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
CUNY Adcom or administration?


No, I don't work for Cuny... I just know that everyone will not be getting an education at the T14 schools and that is perfectly fine. If one does their research on a lower ranked school, and make an informed decision, they should get a return on their investment. I'm so tired of everyone on this site bashing any school that is below T-14.

No one in this thread said not to go to any school other than a T14. You made that up. Nice straw man.



Firstly, I'm not a man.. I'm a woman.. Hence the name Sweet LADY... My comment stated that I'm tired of the people on this Site saying Top school or dont go. I never mentioned this thread. Furthermore, the answers given in this thread go in line with the consensus of this entire site and that is that if you can't get into one of the top schools, don't bother going.

Oh god OP... http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

The consensus isn't necessarily that you HAVE to go to a top school, but if you're not going T14 the strategy changes. Namely, you need to be regional and get a significant scholarship. Outside the T14, you should NOT have reach schools, because you're fishing for scholarships. Look at the schools you would normally consider safeties and apply there to reduce your risk (debt) by getting a full ride.

CUNY is terrible because it doesn't do anything for you regionally. The NY market is oversaturated with excelled degrees, which has already been stated.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Sweetlady75 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 pm

LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck



Might I ask where your information cones from? Are you an attorney? Do you know anything about the job market for attorneys in NYC?

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck


Nobody on TLS is going to advise someone to attend a TTT/TTTT

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 am

nebula666 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck


Nobody on TLS is going to advise someone to attend a TTT/TTTT


There's some good ones. Widener (DE) with a full-ride is probably a good choice.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:LOL @ the elitist attitudes.. I'm done with this thread.

To the OP---- Consider Cuny. It's a viable option. Good luck



Might I ask where your information cones from? Are you an attorney? Do you know anything about the job market for attorneys in NYC?


No, she's an utterly uninformed applicant who doesn't like reading things that might force her to question the wisdom of her own (awful) decisions: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202082.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:I'm not sure where the other posters are getting their information, but people do get jobs out of Cuny.

OP- I think that if you have an interest in PI law, Cuny is a good choice for you. The tuition is extremely cheap, so a low paying job would not be a problem.

They have slightly higher admission standards than your stats, but give it a try. Try to emphasize your softs in your personal statement.


CUNY Adcom or administration?


No, I don't work for Cuny... I just know that everyone will not be getting an education at the T14 schools and that is perfectly fine. If one does their research on a lower ranked school, and make an informed decision, they should get a return on their investment. I'm so tired of everyone on this site bashing any school that is below T-14.

I'm curious where you got your MBA, and what you concentrated in.

User avatar
Kurohoshi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Kurohoshi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Its in bumfuck nowhere. Its cheap to live out there.


What? Do yo know anything about NYC? It is in Queens but it is only a few stops/minutes away from Manhattan on any of the nearby subway lines. Cost of living is way less than it would be in the heart of the city but it still isn't cheap compared to where most people are coming from. Maybe you live in Midtown or something but for the average joe, it's not cheap.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Kurohoshi wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Its in bumfuck nowhere. Its cheap to live out there.


What? Do yo know anything about NYC? It is in Queens but it is only a few stops/minutes away from Manhattan on any of the nearby subway lines. Cost of living is way less than it would be in the heart of the city but it still isn't cheap compared to where most people are coming from. Maybe you live in Midtown or something but for the average joe, it's not cheap.

Oh my bad, I thought it was way farther out in Queens.

You could live somewhere out in Queens and probably get a pretty good deal though.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Nice straw man.



Firstly, I'm not a man.. I'm a woman.. Hence the name Sweet LADY...


+

Sweetlady75 wrote:



You look at your stats, but I know real life people that have jobs out of Cuny.


Two of the finest exchanges I've ever seen on this here forum. Laughed heartily. Seriously Sweet, good stuff. Bang up work you're doing.

OP, avoid this school, unless you're one of those people like Sweet who doesn't believe in statistics.

User avatar
FrankWhite
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby FrankWhite » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 pm

IDK how many people on this site are delusional, that is the statistic I want.


I got a couple people in my family who practice law, one judge, two lawyers. If you know anyone who can hook you up with a job, or help you network (for me my fams) go to cuny.

They all told me, and i'm paraphrasing, "over 100gs in debt ... fuck that ... go to cuny, it is dumb cheap, they all teach you basically the same bullshit, and its not like your trying to do some corporate knob jobbing"

so yea if you have a couple connections, and PI is your thing, you would have to go out of your way to be miserable for the rest of your life after graduation

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:38 pm

FrankWhite wrote:IDK how many people on this site are delusional, that is the statistic I want.


I got a couple people in my family who practice law, one judge, two lawyers. If you know anyone who can hook you up with a job, or help you network (for me my fams) go to cuny.

They all told me, and i'm paraphrasing, "over 100gs in debt ... fuck that ... go to cuny, it is dumb cheap, they all teach you basically the same bullshit, and its not like your trying to do some corporate knob jobbing"

so yea if you have a couple connections, and PI is your thing, you would have to go out of your way to be miserable for the rest of your life after graduation


Maybe the tuition's not much, but this person may still need to borrow for room and board, books, transit, health insurance -- in short, living expenses. If you don't have a family willing to put you up, then it could be over 100k of debt because of living expenses + tuition.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby hephaestus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 am

I don't know about CUNY chances.
However, retake chances are high. Don't be delusional.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

FrankWhite wrote:IDK how many people on this site are delusional, that is the statistic I want.


I got a couple people in my family who practice law, one judge, two lawyers. If you know anyone who can hook you up with a job, or help you network (for me my fams) go to cuny.

They all told me, and i'm paraphrasing, "over 100gs in debt ... fuck that ... go to cuny, it is dumb cheap, they all teach you basically the same bullshit, and its not like your trying to do some corporate knob jobbing"

so yea if you have a couple connections, and PI is your thing, you would have to go out of your way to be miserable for the rest of your life after graduation

Uh yeah... obviously if you have connections who are willing to go to bat for you, that changes the equation a bit. Not sure who you're calling delusional here?

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
FrankWhite wrote:IDK how many people on this site are delusional, that is the statistic I want.


I got a couple people in my family who practice law, one judge, two lawyers. If you know anyone who can hook you up with a job, or help you network (for me my fams) go to cuny.

They all told me, and i'm paraphrasing, "over 100gs in debt ... fuck that ... go to cuny, it is dumb cheap, they all teach you basically the same bullshit, and its not like your trying to do some corporate knob jobbing"

so yea if you have a couple connections, and PI is your thing, you would have to go out of your way to be miserable for the rest of your life after graduation

Uh yeah... obviously if you have connections who are willing to go to bat for you, that changes the equation a bit. Not sure who you're calling delusional here?


Well shit obviously we've been doing this wrong. Instead of gunning for top schools we should've been helping our parents cop their own shingles so we could go to TTTTs and still have jobs lined up after graduation.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby uvabro » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:04 pm

OP go to CUNY. Just be #1 in your class, and transfer to a T-14. It is much easier to just study harder and be #1 against all your lazy classmates than it is to retake the LSAT. The LSAT is a 3 hour test. You can be #1 in like 5-10 minutes. Just believe in yourself, and you'll do it. You didn't get here because you were a regular kid. You are special so just go and be #1 - someone will be #1, therefore it will be you.

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby lutcf2021 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Two things.
1st. DUMB Question.

But what do the following mean?
HTH.(short for something?)
and
PI Law

Also,


uvabro wrote:OP go to CUNY. Just be #1 in your class, and transfer to a T-14. It is much easier to just study harder and be #1 against all your lazy classmates than it is to retake the LSAT. The LSAT is a 3 hour test. You can be #1 in like 5-10 minutes. Just believe in yourself, and you'll do it. You didn't get here because you were a regular kid. You are special so just go and be #1 - someone will be #1, therefore it will be you.


LOLed so hard.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby Crowing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:55 pm

HTH = hope this helps. frequently (but not always) used sarcastically
PI = public interest

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 pm

PI around here means public interest, but I'd be careful about using it IRL because most people mean personal injury.

User avatar
FrankWhite
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby FrankWhite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 pm

All I'm saying is from the input I have received from people who have gone through these rigors through different decades, they urge to cut out your debt as much as possible, and going to CUNY and not being from NY is a gamble in itself, what does this state have 13 law schools.

Most people here are gunna tell you to retake, sit out a year, go to a better school .. which isn't bad advice

But if you wanna practice law, and have faith in your abilities, go sit in on a couple hearings, hang around a courthouse for the day. The ADA's in Nassau County and Queens are not making me think I will not be able to secure a law job in any fashion.

If you wanna practice law, do yo bro, 90% of the people here are gunna say your grades are shit and you should give up. I find law and litigation interesting as hell bro, If you have the drive and ability people will see it. And the damn LSAT does not prove ability to handle the court room, you could end up somewhere and literally G the hell out of all these kids in moot court and mock trials.

I don't how many people here actually know the law, all I see is references to job statistics and LSAT scores, which is great. But a portion of these kids who tell you to retake are gunna end up like Darius Miles (NBA reference), all the numbers going into the league, only to flame out.

Summation:

OP if your from the burroughs, and have a place to live, you can get out with under 60k in debt, which is flawless for a law degree. If you know any lawyers, take a week off work and ask em if you can tag along, see everything in motion .. and don't be in it for the money, most of these people commenting have no concept of the client, or law in general

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 pm

ya!!!!! its not about employment, its about practicing law.

User avatar
FrankWhite
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:28 am

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby FrankWhite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

(sigh)

obviously its about employment, but CUNY places people in jobs, you make it like if you go to cuny you will be rummaging through dumpsters or playing russian roulette a la deer hunter just to make a mortgage payment

The people not employed out of cuny end up being the lower tier student that couldn't hack it, but were given an opportunity to attend law school and play the game, nothing wrong with short selling

yes its a calculated risk, but this isn't a futile proposition

Kathleen Rice, she went to Touro, this women rules Nassau County with an iron fist

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:17 am

FrankWhite wrote:All I'm saying is from the input I have received from people who have gone through these rigors through different decades, they urge to cut out your debt as much as possible, and going to CUNY and not being from NY is a gamble in itself, what does this state have 13 law schools.

Most people here are gunna tell you to retake, sit out a year, go to a better school .. which isn't bad advice

But if you wanna practice law, and have faith in your abilities, go sit in on a couple hearings, hang around a courthouse for the day. The ADA's in Nassau County and Queens are not making me think I will not be able to secure a law job in any fashion.

If you wanna practice law, do yo bro, 90% of the people here are gunna say your grades are shit and you should give up. I find law and litigation interesting as hell bro, If you have the drive and ability people will see it. And the damn LSAT does not prove ability to handle the court room, you could end up somewhere and literally G the hell out of all these kids in moot court and mock trials.

I don't how many people here actually know the law, all I see is references to job statistics and LSAT scores, which is great. But a portion of these kids who tell you to retake are gunna end up like Darius Miles (NBA reference), all the numbers going into the league, only to flame out.

Summation:

OP if your from the burroughs, and have a place to live, you can get out with under 60k in debt, which is flawless for a law degree. If you know any lawyers, take a week off work and ask em if you can tag along, see everything in motion .. and don't be in it for the money, most of these people commenting have no concept of the client, or law in general


Are you brain damaged? I'm serious though; are you?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 am

He may not be, but I think I am after reading through that drivel.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests