CUNY LAW chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rcp221

CUNY LAW chances

Postby rcp221 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 pm

3.02 and 152

I know it's a slim chance but do you think that they will take into consideration my work experience with people with disabilities?

I am not a URm

TripTrip

Re: CUNY LAW chances

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 pm

rcp221 wrote:3.02 and 152

I know it's a slim chance but do you think that they will take into consideration my work experience with people with disabilities?

I am not a URm

Irrelevant. Even if you get accepted, don't go. CUNY isn't worth sticker.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 am

TripTrip wrote:

I am not a URm

It's 12k a year tuition for in-state residents which isn't terribly bad.

You won't get rich with a degree from CUNY Law, but they've created a small niche in the PI law market.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 am

LawyerBrah wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I am not a URm

You won't get rich a job with a degree from CUNY Law, but they've created a small niche in the PI law market.

Fixed

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:36 am

rad lulz wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I am not a URm

You won't get rich a job with a degree from CUNY Law, but they've created a small niche in the PI law market.

Fixed

Rad Lulz, you, my good sir, are awesome.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:00 am

Don't spent > $100k to have a 1/3 chance of finding a job that pays $50k.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 am

LawyerBrah wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I am not a URm

You won't get rich with a degree from CUNY Law, but they've created a small niche in the PI law market.

Even if it was free, it still wouldn't be worth it from a CoL standpoint.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 am

I'm all for low cost legal education. But CUNY doesn't even set you in line for a low-paying ADA gig after LS. Work on the LSAT, get into the mid-160's and apply elsewhere.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am

I'm not sure where the other posters are getting their information, but people do get jobs out of Cuny.

OP- I think that if you have an interest in PI law, Cuny is a good choice for you. The tuition is extremely cheap, so a low paying job would not be a problem.

They have slightly higher admission standards than your stats, but give it a try. Try to emphasize your softs in your personal statement.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:I'm not sure where the other posters are getting their information, but people do get jobs out of Cuny.

OP- I think that if you have an interest in PI law, Cuny is a good choice for you. The tuition is extremely cheap, so a low paying job would not be a problem.

They have slightly higher admission standards than your stats, but give it a try. Try to emphasize your softs in your personal statement.

CUNY Adcom or administration?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 am

TripTrip wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I am not a URm

Its in bumfuck nowhere. Its cheap to live out there.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:I'm not sure where the other posters are getting their information, but people do get jobs out of Cuny.

lol

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cuny-queens

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Irrelevant. Even if you get accepted, don't go. CUNY isn't worth sticker.

Its in bumfuck nowhere. Its cheap to live out there.

:lol:

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

If you could live for free with family and keep expenses down, I don't think it would be too bad.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:

lol

You look at your stats, but I know real life people that have jobs out of Cuny. No, they're not top paying jobs, but you really don't need a top paying job with such low tuition. Their tuition is much lower than what I paid for my MBA degree and I didn't come out of school with my MBA degree making 6 figures. I guess I was a fool to pay for that as well. GOH.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

No, I don't work for Cuny... I just know that everyone will not be getting an education at the T14 schools and that is perfectly fine. If one does their research on a lower ranked school, and make an informed decision, they should get a return on their investment. I'm so tired of everyone on this site bashing any school that is below T-14.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

lol

You look at your stats, but I know real life people that have jobs out of Cuny. No, they're not top paying jobs, but you really don't need a top paying job with such low tuition. Their tuition is much lower than what I paid for my MBA degree and I didn't come out of school with my MBA degree making 6 figures. I guess I was a fool to pay for that as well. GOH.

Your anecdote really refuted these statistics. Good job.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

No, I don't work for Cuny... I just know that everyone will not be getting an education at the T14 schools and that is perfectly fine. If one does their research on a lower ranked school, and make an informed decision, they should get a return on their investment. I'm so tired of everyone on this site bashing any school that is below T-14.

No one in this thread said not to go to any school other than a T14. You made that up. Nice straw man.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

No one in this thread said not to go to any school other than a T14. You made that up. Nice straw man.

Firstly, I'm not a man.. I'm a woman.. Hence the name Sweet LADY... My comment stated that I'm tired of the people on this Site saying Top school or dont go. I never mentioned this thread. Furthermore, the answers given in this thread go in line with the consensus of this entire site and that is that if you can't get into one of the top schools, don't bother going.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Firstly, I'm not a man.. I'm a woman.. Hence the name Sweet LADY... My comment stated that I'm tired of the people on this Site saying Top school or dont go. I never mentioned this thread. Furthermore, the answers given in this thread go in line with the consensus of this entire site and that is that if you can't get into one of the top schools, don't bother going.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:48 pm

Everyone's advice to only go to a top school makes sense considering this is top-law-schools.com

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:No one in this thread said not to go to any school other than a T14. You made that up. Nice straw man.

LOL. Nice straw, man?

But seriously...there were more people unemployed and seeking work nine months after graduation from the CUNY class of 2011 than there were people working full time in PI gigs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:No, I don't work for Cuny... I just know that everyone will not be getting an education at the T14 schools and that is perfectly fine. If one does their research on a lower ranked school, and make an informed decision, they should get a return on their investment. I'm so tired of everyone on this site bashing any school that is below T-14.

Was your mom drinking when she was pregnant with you?

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:09 pm

I think CUNY is a better choice than Hofstra, Pace, St. John's, Rutgers, etc.

12k a year tuition for a degree with little job prospect is better than 50k a year tuition for a degree with little job prospect.

Return to “What are my chances?”