Is this a strong soft?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MASSattack1

Is this a strong soft?

Postby MASSattack1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm

So during my UG career (I'm a senior now) I was approved to take classes at my university's law school (both the UG and Law School are top 20). I took two upper level law school electives with 2L and 3Ls, getting A's in both. The same professor taught both of them, and in addition to being an adjunct professor, he is also a partner at one of the biggest firms in the world (2000+ attorneys in 50+ countries). I developed a pretty close relationship with him and he wrote one of my letters of recommendation...

How strong of a soft are both the A's in two classes at a top 20 law school and the letter of recommendation from a prestigious partner/professor? (VERY, VERY strong letter of rec).

Thanks in advance for the input!

stillwater

Re: Is this a strong soft?

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

these softs are just average.

the relationship may help you in the future! but it won't have much of an impact on law school admissions.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

stillwater wrote:these softs are just average.

the relationship may help you in the future! but it won't have much of an impact on law school admissions.

+1.

What are your numbers? Those will matter most, from the sounds of it your numbers probably speak for themselves and you don't really need the negligible boost.

MASSattack1

Postby MASSattack1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Dmini7 wrote:

+1.

What are your numbers? Those will matter most, from the sounds of it your numbers probably speak for themselves and you don't really need the negligible boost.

3.6/160...had been PTing in the upper 160s/low 170s but am an awful test taker... :cry:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 pm

MASSattack1 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

+1.

3.6/160...had been PTing in the upper 160s/low 170s but am an awful test taker... :cry:

Well that sucks for you bc law school is all about tests

Retake or don't go bro

That soft is mediocre at best

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 am

Well, the response from TLS will be retake. What schools are you interested in?

This is out of my own curiosity and maybe someone else could answer this, but if he spplied to his UG, would they see his track record in law courses as a big plus? Or is it still a negligible item?

MASSattack1

Postby MASSattack1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 am

Dmini7 wrote:Well, the response from TLS will be retake. What schools are you interested in?

This is out of my own curiosity and maybe someone else could answer this, but if he spplied to his UG, would they see his track record in law courses as a big plus? Or is it still a negligible item?

My UG, a few T-30's (BC, BU, USC [Yes TLS, I know I have a minimal shot at best], Loyola, Pepperdine, and a few safeties.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 am

You probably weren't included in the curve for those exams.

But you should absolutely retake the LSAT and aim much, much higher.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 am

cinephile wrote:You probably weren't included in the curve for those exams.

womp, womp.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 am

MASSattack1 wrote:So during my UG career (I'm a senior now) I was approved to take classes at my university's law school (both the UG and Law School are top 20). I took two upper level law school electives with 2L and 3Ls, getting A's in both. The same professor taught both of them, and in addition to being an adjunct professor, he is also a partner at one of the biggest firms in the world (2000+ attorneys in 50+ countries). I developed a pretty close relationship with him and he wrote one of my letters of recommendation...

How strong of a soft are both the A's in two classes at a top 20 law school and the letter of recommendation from a prestigious partner/professor? (VERY, VERY strong letter of rec).

Thanks in advance for the input!

Probably helps at your school, but that LSAT is holding you back. additional kicker: those classes won't count once you're accepted (though maybe not a bad idea if you want an easy A)

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am

I dunno guys. Seems like a pretty strong soft to me. He's already taken 2 law school exams and gotten As in both? A V100 (?) partner is telling the school "hey, this guy is employable... I'd hire him..."? I mean, softs in general aren't dealmakers or dealbreakers. But if you ask "is this a strong soft?" Sure. Somewhat strong.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 am

manofjustice wrote:I dunno guys. Seems like a pretty strong soft to me. He's already taken 2 law school exams and gotten As in both? A V100 (?) partner is telling the school "hey, this guy is employable... I'd hire him..."? I mean, softs in general aren't dealmakers or dealbreakers. But if you ask "is this a strong soft?" Sure. Somewhat strong.

Sure, it's a strong soft. That and a metrocard gets you a ride on the subway

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 am

manofjustice wrote:I dunno guys. Seems like a pretty strong soft to me. He's already taken 2 law school exams and gotten As in both? A V100 (?) partner is telling the school "hey, this guy is employable... I'd hire him..."? I mean, softs in general aren't dealmakers or dealbreakers. But if you ask "is this a strong soft?" Sure. Somewhat strong.

The only strong soft is being POTUS, and even that matters less than URM.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 am

TripTrip wrote:

The only strong soft is being POTUS, and even that matters less than URM.

Mostly credited.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 am

This is how I read that:
TripTrip wrote:The only strong soft is currently POTUS, and even that's because URM.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am

MASSattack1 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:Well, the response from TLS will be retake. What schools are you interested in?

My UG, a few T-30's (BC, BU, USC [Yes TLS, I know I have a minimal shot at best], Loyola, Pepperdine, and a few safeties.

I had to wait till I got off work to respond to this, but here is a graph of the last few cycles with your numbers.

http://myLSN.info/s2rkun

As you can see, it looks pretty bleak for BC, BU, USC. I find it interesting how its a near auto admit for ASU(that stuck out like a sore thumb to me). You are pretty much a lock at Loyola, and I would expect money, but it really depends on your own thought process to determine how much is enough to make it worth the employment prospect for yourself.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 am

dingbat wrote:This is how I read that:
TripTrip wrote:The only strong soft is currently POTUS, and even that's because URM.

Also valid. Though I think the big BO would have trouble with the C&F section.

"Have you ever attended law school?" "Yes. I'd like to go again."

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am

Dmini7 wrote:I find it interesting how its a near auto admit for ASU(that stuck out like a sore thumb to me)

ASU is T30 in name only and in reality is on par with UA

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 am

dingbat wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:I find it interesting how its a near auto admit for ASU(that stuck out like a sore thumb to me)

Yeah, I sort of figured it was one of those things where Arizona needed a school in the top 30 school or something since I have never heard anything about it, but thanks for the confirmation.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 am

Dmini7 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Yeah, I sort of figured it was one of those things where Arizona needed a school in the top 30 school or something since I have never heard anything about it, but thanks for the confirmation.

something something questionable reporting something something

westphillybandr

Postby westphillybandr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 am

I would say concentrate on retaking the LSAT. I'm a bad test taker too and it took a second crack at it to get the score that I wanted. I was much more comfortable the second time around and ended up with a score I was happy enough with. Good Luck!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 am

dingbat wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

something something questionable reporting something something

Dude employers are heading there in DROVES bro

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 am

fallingup wrote:
cinephile wrote:You probably weren't included in the curve for those exams.

womp, womp.

I meant that in a nice way. Like you shouldn't aim for T30 schools because I want to see you employed. So get a better LSAT score and go to a better school than the ones you currently are considering.

Return to “What are my chances?”