Fee waivers from schools above your stats?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MASSattack1

Fee waivers from schools above your stats?

Postby MASSattack1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm

So I have received a few fee waivers from schools that are healthily above my GPA/LSAT stats...

Does anyone know what that's all about? I do go to very prestigious private university, but does that matter enough to make schools 4-5 points above my LSAT score and .3-.4 above my GPA offer an application waiver? I could see if it were a point or two, but the gaps are at least 4 points to the 25th percentile.

Are they just trying to boost their rejects for acceptance rates, or do they actually want me?

Any input appreciated! I feel encouraged but I don't want a false hope. Thanks!

Dmini7

Re: Fee waivers from schools above your stats?

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

More than likely its for yield protection... Meaning they just want you to apply to reject you and keep their acceptance rate low(it is a factor in the UsNWR rankings). With that said, if one is your dream school it doesn't hurt trying, especially if you are a URM

MASSattack1

Postby MASSattack1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Dmini7 wrote:More than likely its for yield protection... Meaning they just want you to apply to reject you and keep their acceptance rate low(it is a factor in the UsNWR rankings). With that said, if one is your dream school it doesn't hurt trying, especially if you are a URM

Caucasian male...WOMP

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 am

MASSattack1 wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:More than likely its for yield protection... Meaning they just want you to apply to reject you and keep their acceptance rate low(it is a factor in the UsNWR rankings). With that said, if one is your dream school it doesn't hurt trying, especially if you are a URM

Caucasian male...WOMP

If you've got $21 to spare, it won't hurt. (You won't have to wonder "what if" either.) Dmini's right though. Acceptance rate is 2.5% of the USNWR calculation.

Return to “What are my chances?”