3.6/171

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Finanigans

3.6/171

Postby Finanigans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi all.

I've got a 3.6 undergrad and a 171 on the Dec. LSAT, with pretty solid softs (LOR from one of the top prosecuting attorneys in King County, accounting degree with internships at Fortune 500 companies).

How am I looking for t14 this late in the cycle? I possibly have an opportunity to pursue a Big 4 accounting job next year, would it be worth it to go there for a year or two then reapply, earlier in another cycle?

Thanks!

Nova

Re: 3.6/171

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 pm

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Finanigans wrote:Hi all.

I've got a 3.6 undergrad and a 171 on the Dec. LSAT, with pretty solid softs (LOR from one of the top prosecuting attorneys in King County, accounting degree with internships at Fortune 500 companies).

How am I looking for t14 this late in the cycle? I possibly have an opportunity to pursue a Big 4 accounting job next year, would it be worth it to go there for a year or two then reapply, earlier in another cycle?

Thanks!

To your second question: yes.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 pm

^+1. all the predictor data points toward waiting and applying early in the next cycle. berkeley gives out half their acceptances before January of the cycle, so yeah, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not waiting. and good work experience is never frowned upon. save some money and maybe even study some more for the LSAT and try to get a higher score, or take a couple community college classes in your free time to boost your LSDAS GPA. the sky's the limit if you wait.

when did you submit your apps for this cycle? Your post makes it sound like you already have, since you're talking about reapplying in a future cycle?

Finanigans

Postby Finanigans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:11 pm

fallingup wrote:^+1. all the predictor data points toward waiting and applying early in the next cycle. berkeley gives out half their acceptances before January of the cycle, so yeah, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not waiting. and good work experience is never frowned upon. save some money and maybe even study some more for the LSAT and try to get a higher score, or take a couple community college classes in your free time to boost your LSDAS GPA. the sky's the limit if you wait.

when did you submit your apps for this cycle? Your post makes it sound like you already have, since you're talking about reapplying in a future cycle?

I submitted most of them pretty much right when LSAT scores were released (Jan 2), haven't sent off UVA yet because I'm still thinking about giving their binding expedited decision option a go. What do you guys think about going that route?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I definitely wouldn't commit myself to UVA at sticker with those numbers.

By the way, to the extent adcomms care at all about LORs, they don't care about LORs from lawyers, judges, senators, etc. The title of the writer means nothing. They want to read specific and credible assessments from people who have evaluated your academic work.

Finanigans

Postby Finanigans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I definitely wouldn't commit myself to UVA at sticker with those numbers.

By the way, to the extent adcomms care at all about LORs, they don't care about LORs from lawyers, judges, senators, etc. The title of the writer means nothing. They want to read specific and credible assessments from people who have evaluated your academic work.

Do I have a shot at money from a similar caliber school then?

Also, the lawyer doing the LOR was a prof in two of my upper division business law classes, both of which i 4.0'd. I also TA'd for him last quarter, so we're quite close. Sorry for not really elaborating on that.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm

fallingup wrote:^+1. all the predictor data points toward waiting and applying early in the next cycle. berkeley gives out half their acceptances before January of the cycle, so yeah, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not waiting. and good work experience is never frowned upon. save some money and maybe even study some more for the LSAT and try to get a higher score, or take a couple community college classes in your free time to boost your LSDAS GPA. the sky's the limit if you wait.

FYI you cannot boost your GPA in this manner.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

my bad. sorry for spreading incorrect information.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm

fallingup wrote:my bad. sorry for spreading incorrect information.

How badly I wish you were right!

Finanigans

Postby Finanigans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

FYI you cannot boost your GPA in this manner.

That's what I thought. Anyway, if I shouldn't apply to Virginia ED, where else do you think I have a shot at money at?

Return to “What are my chances?”