3.3/180

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rahviveh

Re: 3.3/180

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Don't ED anywhere. I think you have a nonzero chance at H. Anecdotally 3.5 seems to be an important cutoff for some T14s when it comes to money. Still a lock to crack CCN IMO but perhaps not CLS.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Roger_Mogilny wrote:So.... I just used LSAC GPA Calculator to check my gpa against the one my school gave me an it turns out I have a 3.54.... I converted my schools gpa from a 12 point system to a 4.0 and figured that was correct.

Any news perspectives on a 3.5/180?

Don't ED, you have a great shot at any school that doesn't put a lot of value on GPA (schools that care about GPA: Berkeley, Penn, Duke, maybe Cornell). http://myLSN.info/cha9l4 Oops
Last edited by Yukos on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:18 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Don't ED anywhere. I think you have a nonzero chance at H. Anecdotally 3.5 seems to be an important cutoff for some T14s when it comes to money. Still a lock to crack CCN IMO but perhaps not CLS.

I dunno, with a 3.54 he's got a pretty good shot at Columbia: http://myLSN.info/tsryl6

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Yukos wrote:http://myLSN.info/cha9l4

He has a 3.54, not a 3.5. It actually makes a big difference because of the tiny sample size: http://myLSN.info/u687u8

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Definitely don't ED Columbia with that 3.54. You're a lock for it RD.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Sounds good, definitely wont be EDing then. Fingers crossed for Columbia class of 2019.

lutcf2021

Postby lutcf2021 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Journey to 180 story!!!!

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Ask your school if they have a retroactive withdrawal policy (do it now because these can be time-limited). If you can change those Fs to Ws, HYS becomes within reach.

If not, I have a 3.18/174 and I got into Northwestern (waiting to hear back from the other schools). I have 5 yr WE (also mostly political) and I know that makes a big difference for Northwestern but I think you have a good shot there.

I think you should write a short GPA addendum explaining what happened and highlighting how great you've done since then. And congrats on the 180!

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:Journey to 180 story!!!!

This. We should have blackmailed OP and said, "Until you tells us the secret on how you scored a 180 in a lot of detail, we will not give you advice on a school list." So OP, dispense some advice that is unheard of on TLS. I know you have a few gems to add to the info out there. Scoring a 180 requires a special kind of talent.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 am

I intend on writing a detailed article at some point but for now I'll give the basics.

The first thing I did was read the official LSAC handbook, just to get an introduction to the LSAT. Wasn't that beneficial, could have easily come on here and gotten all that information but it is a great way to be introduced to the test if one is completely new to the pre-law world.

Second thing I did was buy the Powerscore LG Bible and the Manhattan LG methods. I went through them cover to cover individually at first, and then I did a second run through of them by comparing and contrasting the different strategies they approached the questions with and created my own "bible". I literally merged the two books in a version that was customized for me. I also went through the Powerscore LG workbook which I thought was somewhat beneficial but not a must.

I basically did that on repeat for LR & RC, however I did not use the workbooks for them. So at the end of this I had three binders with customized methods from Manhattan & Powerscore for my needs.

After I had finished going through the bibles and the manhattan series, I went through the super prep, wasn't that significant to my prep but it did make me feel better about my skills for the test.

I also did Kaplan 180. This I do think was fairly significant. The questions and methods introduced in it are pretty hard. Its like math, for example if you got an A in Multivariable Calculus, and you go back and re-do Calculus I, you're gonna breeze through it with an A+.

PTs. Jesus Christ, PTs. I prepped for a total of 15 months, and for the last 3 months I did nothing but PTs. Something I noticed on this board is that people are really scared of running out of prep material but you really shouldn't be unless you have an eidetic memory. If you do have an eidetic memory, then you still dont have to worry cause you're gonna get a 180 anyways (see: Mike Ross). You're not going to remember the answers to a PT that you did 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that at least I didn't. It's okay to recycle PTs, the more familiar you get with them, the better. Again, its like math. Practice makes perfect. On test day I breezed through some questions because they were the same thing I had seen a dozen times just worded differently. I got my hands on every single PT there is and I did the 30 most recent ones at least two times each. I did the earlier ones as well, they're different, but its okay. Worth it. Seriously, PT PT PT PT PT PT PT.

I did other stuff too, its up to you to decide if its worth it for you. I did a lot of brain training, like Lumosity.com, I would recommend this for anyone, not just LSAT takers. You seriously start seeing differences in your every day thinking. I had always heard that people who read regularly they did well on the LSAT. I wasn't much of a frequent reader so I started this when I started my prep. The goal was to read the economist and magazines like that but it wasn't realistic. Quite frankly fiscal policy will put you to sleep faster than most sleeping pills. I re-read the Harry Potter series for example, read a few biographies, anything that interested me. Some will say that "Harry Potter isn't anywhere close to the reading passages you'll encounter on the LSAT", word, that's true, but at the end of the day it does put your mind into a reading mode. Again, most people on here will say thats a useless part of the prep, but I thought it was a good idea and it worked for me. Call it a trick of the mind, but it was a confidence booster at the very least.

Analyzing questions also helped a lot. I would write a paragraph on every question I got wrong and why I got it wrong.

I approached the LSAT the way a math student approaches anything. The LSAT is a high level of critical thinking, and math and physics are probably the highest levels of critical thinking in the world. As a math student, I think I did have a leg up on this, but it's definitely not what got me a 180. I was working and in school at the time I was studying for the LSAT, which is why I took 15 months for my prep.

If there's anything else I can answer please let me know :)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 am

I am jealous of that 180. Damn reading comp...

Anyway, I'm 3.56/179. Check out my lsn if you want to keep track. Super splitters like this are fairly rare. You'll get some YPs, some money, and you'll probably be waiting on H until the end of the cycle. Also, I'll say that Columbia was my target for a long time but when $$$ starts rolling in and the realization you'll be paying sticker In the most expensive city in the US... this isn't monopoly money.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am

NoodleyOne wrote:I am jealous of that 180. Damn reading comp...

Anyway, I'm 3.56/179. Check out my lsn if you want to keep track. Super splitters like this are fairly rare. You'll get some YPs, some money, and you'll probably be waiting on H until the end of the cycle. Also, I'll say that Columbia was my target for a long time but when $$$ starts rolling in and the realization you'll be paying sticker In the most expensive city in the US... this isn't monopoly money.

I go back to your LSN every time Im starting to get nervous about my upcoming cycle. Hoping to join you at Columbia!

I feel like I remember seeing on your profile that you were at columbia, just checked again and theres nothing there. You are though, right?

blink

Postby blink » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 am

Roger_Mogilny wrote:I intend on writing a detailed article at some point but for now I'll give the basics.

The first thing I did was read the official LSAC handbook, just to get an introduction to the LSAT. Wasn't that beneficial, could have easily come on here and gotten all that information but it is a great way to be introduced to the test if one is completely new to the pre-law world.

Second thing I did was buy the Powerscore LG Bible and the Manhattan LG methods. I went through them cover to cover individually at first, and then I did a second run through of them by comparing and contrasting the different strategies they approached the questions with and created my own "bible". I literally merged the two books in a version that was customized for me. I also went through the Powerscore LG workbook which I thought was somewhat beneficial but not a must.

I basically did that on repeat for LR & RC, however I did not use the workbooks for them. So at the end of this I had three binders with customized methods from Manhattan & Powerscore for my needs.

After I had finished going through the bibles and the manhattan series, I went through the super prep, wasn't that significant to my prep but it did make me feel better about my skills for the test.

I also did Kaplan 180. This I do think was fairly significant. The questions and methods introduced in it are pretty hard. Its like math, for example if you got an A in Multivariable Calculus, and you go back and re-do Calculus I, you're gonna breeze through it with an A+.

PTs. Jesus Christ, PTs. I prepped for a total of 15 months, and for the last 3 months I did nothing but PTs. Something I noticed on this board is that people are really scared of running out of prep material but you really shouldn't be unless you have an eidetic memory. If you do have an eidetic memory, then you still dont have to worry cause you're gonna get a 180 anyways (see: Mike Ross). You're not going to remember the answers to a PT that you did 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that at least I didn't. It's okay to recycle PTs, the more familiar you get with them, the better. Again, its like math. Practice makes perfect. On test day I breezed through some questions because they were the same thing I had seen a dozen times just worded differently. I got my hands on every single PT there is and I did the 30 most recent ones at least two times each. I did the earlier ones as well, they're different, but its okay. Worth it. Seriously, PT PT PT PT PT PT PT.

I did other stuff too, its up to you to decide if its worth it for you. I did a lot of brain training, like Lumosity.com, I would recommend this for anyone, not just LSAT takers. You seriously start seeing differences in your every day thinking. I had always heard that people who read regularly they did well on the LSAT. I wasn't much of a frequent reader so I started this when I started my prep. The goal was to read the economist and magazines like that but it wasn't realistic. Quite frankly fiscal policy will put you to sleep faster than most sleeping pills. I re-read the Harry Potter series for example, read a few biographies, anything that interested me. Some will say that "Harry Potter isn't anywhere close to the reading passages you'll encounter on the LSAT", word, that's true, but at the end of the day it does put your mind into a reading mode. Again, most people on here will say thats a useless part of the prep, but I thought it was a good idea and it worked for me. Call it a trick of the mind, but it was a confidence booster at the very least.

Analyzing questions also helped a lot. I would write a paragraph on every question I got wrong and why I got it wrong.

I approached the LSAT the way a math student approaches anything. The LSAT is a high level of critical thinking, and math and physics are probably the highest levels of critical thinking in the world. As a math student, I think I did have a leg up on this, but it's definitely not what got me a 180. I was working and in school at the time I was studying for the LSAT, which is why I took 15 months for my prep.

Thanks for this! I'm lookking forward to the article!

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Don't ED anywhere. I think you have a nonzero chance at H. Anecdotally 3.5 seems to be an important cutoff for some T14s when it comes to money. Still a lock to crack CCN IMO but perhaps not CLS.

I dunno, with a 3.54 he's got a pretty good shot at Columbia: http://myLSN.info/tsryl6

I agree, but not a lock like other posters have said.

He should also see some good money from NYU, so he should consider that instead.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am

Roger_Mogilny wrote:

I go back to your LSN every time Im starting to get nervous about my upcoming cycle. Hoping to join you at Columbia!

I feel like I remember seeing on your profile that you were at columbia, just checked again and theres nothing there. You are though, right?

You may have me confused with Tiago Splitter, who I think is a numbers twin. I'm 0L and haven't heard from Columbia yet.

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Roger_Mogilny wrote:

You may have me confused with Tiago Splitter, who I think is a numbers twin. I'm 0L and haven't heard from Columbia yet.

Ah yes, you're right. Best of luck!

lutcf2021

Postby lutcf2021 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 am

Roger_Mogilny wrote:I intend on writing a detailed article at some point but for now I'll give the basics.

Stellar stuff!
Where will you be posting the article???

Roger_Mogilny

Postby Roger_Mogilny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 am

I'll probably make a thread in the LSAT section of this forum.

Njdeh

Postby Njdeh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Any thoughts on what his chances at Berkley could be?
Last edited by Njdeh on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 pm

http://www.mylsn.info/

Almost nonexistent.

Return to “What are my chances?”