Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Icculus

Silver

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Post by Icculus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:29 pm

OP - BU will not accept you, period, that GPA is way too low. I had a 2.79 and 30 points higher on the LSAT and was a straight up rejection. NU woud be an option if you could get at least a 170, though more likely a 172+.

Really, your best bet is to get out of school, get a job, get some real world experience, and go from there. I think you need to not jump into any graduate program and rather really figure yourself out and what you want to do. Honestly though, with that GPA unless you can get a 170+ law school is not a good idea for you, no school you get into would set you up to achieve what you want to achieve. Even with a 170+ you should really consider all you options.

Off topic: uvabro, you are fast becoming my least favorite poster on these boards. I don't know if it's because your humor falls short 99% of the time when you attempt it, or if it's because you come off as an early 20s roided up or coked up frat bro, but you seem insufferable, and I think if you took a different approach to disopensing advice you could actually be pretty helpful, but your tendency to go immediately into full on asshole condensension makes it difficult to take anything you say seriously. I really hope you're not like this IRL since I think it may hurt your chances when you interview, and would generally make people want to smack you. /rant.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Dude, be a fundraiser (funds raiser?). You have experience, it's evidently a source of pride, and you can make money doing that. Make it your mission to wrest as much as possible from the televangelists and divert it toward more worthy causes, which is about any cause you can think of.

And just read the relevant law for yourself, so you can be a better or more crafty funds raiser. I can't think of a more practical calling, the hell would you want a law degree?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Dude, be a fundraiser (funds raiser?). You have experience, it's evidently a source of pride, and you can make money doing that.
This is actually not a bad idea.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

ICUMULUS: i limit it on the threads, and try to tone it down. i'm much worse in real life. much bigger and meaner. i am also against all performance enhancing drugs. my trolling is completely clean. i don't wish to have my record tarnished by any such allegations. i give solid advice and don't mean to be an asshole. i try to be a better person each day, but it hasn't taken yet.

your points about the topic are correct though, but a little too helpful for my taste.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Icculus wrote:OP - BU will not accept you, period, that GPA is way too low. I had a 2.79 and 30 points higher on the LSAT and was a straight up rejection. NU woud be an option if you could get at least a 170, though more likely a 172+.

Really, your best bet is to get out of school, get a job, get some real world experience, and go from there. I think you need to not jump into any graduate program and rather really figure yourself out and what you want to do. Honestly though, with that GPA unless you can get a 170+ law school is not a good idea for you, no school you get into would set you up to achieve what you want to achieve. Even with a 170+ you should really consider all you options.

Off topic: uvabro, you are fast becoming my least favorite poster on these boards. I don't know if it's because your humor falls short 99% of the time when you attempt it, or if it's because you come off as an early 20s roided up or coked up frat bro, but you seem insufferable, and I think if you took a different approach to disopensing advice you could actually be pretty helpful, but your tendency to go immediately into full on asshole condensension makes it difficult to take anything you say seriously. I really hope you're not like this IRL since I think it may hurt your chances when you interview, and would generally make people want to smack you. /rant.
Never take me seriously. I have never been serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm

dingbat wrote:^ OP will need a lot higher than 160 to be accepted by BU

That GPA is ridiculously low and the LSAT is disappointing; any reputable school will throw your application in the trash without even looking beyond those two numbers.
You can, and should, retake the LSAT. There is no way you can get into a semi-decent law school without at least 160, but will probably need significantly higher. (Buffalo might take you as a splitter if you can get 160; I won't trash the school, though others probably will)

The best bet would be to get a few years of work experience, to distance yourself from your GPA. Despite what most people on the board say, work experience does count for something. If you can get the rest of your application (LOR, work experience, LSAT, personal statement) to absolutely shine, you'll improve the chance of a school looking past your GPA.

As it stands, you now have two big strikes against you: an LSAT below the 25% of even the worst TTTs (if you don't know what that is, just ask), and a GPA below the 25% of the worst TTTs.

No one is getting in with two big strikes (except maybe a diploma mill, but you don't want to attend one of those). By retaking, you can get one of those strikes removed. The other you can't do anything about. But if everything else is stellar and you put some distance (i.e. time) between you and your GPA, you might get accepted to a reasonable school at some point in the future

Thats solid advice. 2 strikes on my application. And i can defiantly rule one of them out (LSAT). I am not considering TTT schools because it would be not make sense to shoot anything below SUNY. I have a chance as you said and the LSAT is my focal point.

Do you think repeating 2-3 courses to show grade improvements (A's in all) will brush up the lacking gpa? How will that be reflected. Worth the time/effort spent?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm not really sure you can get into any law school with those numbers.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm

noob4lyfe wrote:
dingbat wrote:^ OP will need a lot higher than 160 to be accepted by BU

That GPA is ridiculously low and the LSAT is disappointing; any reputable school will throw your application in the trash without even looking beyond those two numbers.
You can, and should, retake the LSAT. There is no way you can get into a semi-decent law school without at least 160, but will probably need significantly higher. (Buffalo might take you as a splitter if you can get 160; I won't trash the school, though others probably will)

The best bet would be to get a few years of work experience, to distance yourself from your GPA. Despite what most people on the board say, work experience does count for something. If you can get the rest of your application (LOR, work experience, LSAT, personal statement) to absolutely shine, you'll improve the chance of a school looking past your GPA.

As it stands, you now have two big strikes against you: an LSAT below the 25% of even the worst TTTs (if you don't know what that is, just ask), and a GPA below the 25% of the worst TTTs.

No one is getting in with two big strikes (except maybe a diploma mill, but you don't want to attend one of those). By retaking, you can get one of those strikes removed. The other you can't do anything about. But if everything else is stellar and you put some distance (i.e. time) between you and your GPA, you might get accepted to a reasonable school at some point in the future

Thats solid advice. 2 strikes on my application. And i can defiantly rule one of them out (LSAT). I am not considering TTT schools because it would be not make sense to shoot anything below SUNY. I have a chance as you said and the LSAT is my focal point.

Do you think repeating 2-3 courses to show grade improvements (A's in all) will brush up the lacking gpa? How will that be reflected. Worth the time/effort spent?
remembering bambi.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm

noob4lyfe wrote: Do you think repeating 2-3 courses to show grade improvements (A's in all) will brush up the lacking gpa? How will that be reflected. Worth the time/effort spent?
No. This won't change your GPA, focus on your LSAT, get some work experience, consider other options, revisit the idea of law school a few years after graduation and you've been working.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 pm

manofjustice wrote:I'm not really sure you can get into any law school with those numbers.
He's well above median at Pontifical Catholic University. OP, how do you feel about doing some fundraising in Puerto Rico? Tuition is only 15K per year without a scholarship. If they want to bump their LSAT median, they might toss something at you.

Three years in the Caribbean? Shut the goddamned front door.

You could set up a fundraiser while you're down there. Have locals manage when you leave. You've got six months to broaden your network in the states first. You can come back in 2017 with a tan, a worthless degree, and a decided respect for hurricanes.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm

uvabro wrote:Have you considered ED UVa? I'm trying to get us to push out of the tie at 7, and you'd help our selectivity rating.

Meepo

New

Post by Meepo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm

have you considered applying to a lower tier school then transfer? detroit-mercy, samford, whittier, cooley, new england (close to BU) may take u and if u do well enough, u can still get into BU later

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Meepo wrote:have you considered applying to a lower tier school then transfer? detroit-mercy, samford, whittier, cooley, new england (close to BU) may take u and if u do well enough, u can still get into BU later
Don't be cute Meepo, this man's after serious options. Are you proficient in the Spanish language, OP? Interamerican University in San Juan might be an option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:08 pm

To get into halfway decent school you are going to need years of WE to separate yourself from that GPA, and a 160+ on the LSAT. I am going to be honest your only chance at probably a T1 or high T2, with that GPA would be Northwestern, (maybe there are other super friendly splitter schools, but I didn't research the T1 that well when I was applying) however, I imagine it would take a 173+ to have a shot, that would require an unprecedented amount of work to achieve such a score. I mean you could possibly get in with a lower score but you would have to do something ridiculous as well like win some kind of global humanitarian award. So I believe your approach will have to be something a lot more reasonable.

If you are really hell bent about your interest in the law, and your content with living anywhere then your first plan of action save as much as possible over those 2 years and work to get that LSAT up. After you break the 160 mark then you should do some research and look into low T2/TTT state funded schools that have decent job prospects, pick 1 and move to that state and establish residency before you apply so you don't go into as much debt. There will be a contigent of T14 fanboys on this board that will laugh at this notion, but there are a few out there like Texas Tech which won't get you big law, but you can make a decent life for yourself being a lawyer. Also a plus for some of these schools is the extremely low cost of living. If the economy keeps going south and test takers keep dwindling who knows maybe a low/mid 160's can snag you a few grand in scholarships.

Personally as mentioned above I think you should consider a career in fundraising you seem to have success in that field already.

Also something worth mentioning that hasn't really been discussed is how are you going to do things different in law school that you haven't already done in your academic career. I don't mean this to offend you or anything, but just from the outside looking in it appears that thus far your academic career suggests you won't be very successful in law school.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I don't understand why on almost every thread I have produced you guys immediately and loudly proclaimed I was a troll. But with this guy, you aren't doing the same. With his numbers, OP should be smart enough to know that trying to attend law school is a bad idea. My threads posed and discussed questions that a lot of people care about in selecting a school.
troll.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Meepo wrote:have you considered applying to a lower tier school then transfer? detroit-mercy, samford, whittier, cooley, new england (close to BU) may take u and if u do well enough, u can still get into BU later
Do not do this. Some of those schools are not worry attending even if they paid you.
Do not attend a school you wouldn't want to graduate from. Transferring up is not easily done and might not be possible

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm

That seems like a big risk. I mean sure he might be able to transfer, but wouldn't he have to be in the top 10%? The odds aren't in his favor, especially considering his very low undergrad GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm

eric922 wrote:
That seems like a big risk. I mean sure he might be able to transfer, but wouldn't he have to be in the top 10%? The odds aren't in his favor, especially considering his very low undergrad GPA.
From a school that low-ranking, he'd have to do a lot better than top 10%, most likely.

If he needs top 1%, then his odds of failure are about 99%. So he definitely shouldn't do it.

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm

cinephile wrote:You should aim for a 180. But really, you'll need 170+ (maybe 175+) with your GPA to have a shot at a decent school. I don't know what the numbers are for Northwestern, but I know they do take some low GPAs combined with high LSATs, so check out Law School Numbers for specifics. Just think of Elle Woods: she worked her way up from a 135 to a 175 in a few months with a little help from her sorority sisters. If she can do it, you can do it (however, note that Elle also had a 4.0).

Of course, for a school like Northwestern, you should also get some work experience. This is REALLY IMPORTANT no matter where you go. You may or may not improve dramatically on the LSAT so it's important to have a backup plan. Do you like accounting? You said you loved the pre-reqs and courses in your major. Maybe you should be an account for a few years and see what it's like. Do not close your mind to other professions just because you're thinking about law school. Moreover, please recognize that going to law school may not help you become a lawyer, about half of all law students never get real legal jobs and even those who do often get terrible jobs.

You should absolutely aim higher than Boston University. I go there and I can tell you that many people graduate without real, full-time jobs. Just look at Law School Transparency. BU's employment score is 50.9%. Why spend good money for a school with such poor placement? The only way it's worth going to is if you're getting a full ride. Even then, it's iffy. Maybe if you have a full-ride and a burning passion for the city of Boston and already own a home in Boston (with an underwater mortgage) and your spouse has a lucrative job in Boston (that he or she couldn't find elsewhere). Otherwise, no.

Also, softs generally don't mean much. Particularly when they're just college extra-curriculars. Many of your classmates will have come from TFA, Peace Corps, consulting firms, etc. A lot of students have more significant softs, and even those don't do much for them in terms of getting in to a reach school.

You should absolutely take a prep course. I did and it really helped me. I'm not a self-disciplined person and I needed the structure of a class to make me study. Maybe this structure will help you as well.

Also, consider other careers.
Elle Woods. Hm first time hearing of that story. Do you have a link? Have you heard of Mark Lanier. He a tort's lawyer from Texas Tech giving his speech at Harvard. I do believe things work in mysterious ways. Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhoRlBTvMI

135->170 in a few months. Thing is, I have 'a few months' until the June exam. And have the time to put into PT'ing for it. Northwestern would be heaven. And if you think a 173 will get me there. I defiantly am going to get my goal for that score. Thanks A BUNCH!

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

noob4lyfe wrote:
cinephile wrote:You should aim for a 180. But really, you'll need 170+ (maybe 175+) with your GPA to have a shot at a decent school. I don't know what the numbers are for Northwestern, but I know they do take some low GPAs combined with high LSATs, so check out Law School Numbers for specifics. Just think of Elle Woods: she worked her way up from a 135 to a 175 in a few months with a little help from her sorority sisters. If she can do it, you can do it (however, note that Elle also had a 4.0).

Of course, for a school like Northwestern, you should also get some work experience. This is REALLY IMPORTANT no matter where you go. You may or may not improve dramatically on the LSAT so it's important to have a backup plan. Do you like accounting? You said you loved the pre-reqs and courses in your major. Maybe you should be an account for a few years and see what it's like. Do not close your mind to other professions just because you're thinking about law school. Moreover, please recognize that going to law school may not help you become a lawyer, about half of all law students never get real legal jobs and even those who do often get terrible jobs.

You should absolutely aim higher than Boston University. I go there and I can tell you that many people graduate without real, full-time jobs. Just look at Law School Transparency. BU's employment score is 50.9%. Why spend good money for a school with such poor placement? The only way it's worth going to is if you're getting a full ride. Even then, it's iffy. Maybe if you have a full-ride and a burning passion for the city of Boston and already own a home in Boston (with an underwater mortgage) and your spouse has a lucrative job in Boston (that he or she couldn't find elsewhere). Otherwise, no.

Also, softs generally don't mean much. Particularly when they're just college extra-curriculars. Many of your classmates will have come from TFA, Peace Corps, consulting firms, etc. A lot of students have more significant softs, and even those don't do much for them in terms of getting in to a reach school.

You should absolutely take a prep course. I did and it really helped me. I'm not a self-disciplined person and I needed the structure of a class to make me study. Maybe this structure will help you as well.

Also, consider other careers.
Elle Woods. Hm first time hearing of that story. Do you have a link? Have you heard of Mark Lanier. He a tort's lawyer from Texas Tech giving his speech at Harvard. I do believe things work in mysterious ways. Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhoRlBTvMI

135->170 in a few months. Thing is, I have 'a few months' until the June exam. And have the time to put into PT'ing for it. Northwestern would be heaven. And if you think a 173 will get me there. I defiantly am going to get my goal for that score. Thanks A BUNCH!
I wish you the best of luck, but please keep in mind it will be very difficult for you to improve your score by 30 points, not impossible, but very difficult. Either way, good luck to you.

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:06 pm

dingbat wrote:
noob4lyfe wrote:I'm a tutor myself for Undergrad courses
how does someone with a 2.37 GPA become a tutor? Who on earth would want to get tutored by someone with such a low GPA?
I only teach courses which I have a a great understanding of + I can explain numbers very well. My students receive an 80% avg in those respective courses(not boosting). I'm quite a patient tutor and understand people's errors, root cause analysis and such. Success stories of 36% averages to 84% for a couple students <- is that Personal statement material ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 pm

noob4lyfe wrote:
dingbat wrote:
noob4lyfe wrote:I'm a tutor myself for Undergrad courses
how does someone with a 2.37 GPA become a tutor? Who on earth would want to get tutored by someone with such a low GPA?
I only teach courses which I have a a great understanding of + I can explain numbers very well. My students receive an 80% avg in those respective courses(not boosting). I'm quite a patient tutor and understand people's errors, root cause analysis and such. Success stories of 36% averages to 84% for a couple students <- is that Personal statement material ?
I'm just wondering how you can tutor people into getting 80% averages, but still only manage a 2.37 GPA.
(well, I'm not. I used to tutor kids a year ahead of me when I was in high school despite nearly flunking out, but you get my point)

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.
Thanks for the input. No sarcasm intended.

My Law school mentality is= Do whatever it takes. Even if it means to prove naysayers wrong.

Your comments are actually helping, motivation wise :]

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

uvabro wrote:
cinephile wrote:
uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.
A social work program won't accept someone with a sub 3.0 GPA either.
OP is as far from a 3.0 as i was from a 4.0 and my gpa was said to be too low for lol school.

I also never studied. Ever. I did nothing and got that gpa. I had a high diag and then decided to stop being a loser. OP seems to have really tried. He can maybe acquire other skills. He seems nice but I'd eat him for breakfast, shit him out then reeat him, and I'm not even a gunner. He'd get destroyed.

Whats OP?

Also, doing nothing in Accounting is like jumping into a shark tank. No one survives.

Do Law schools take into account for the difficulty of undergrad you studied in. Engineering vs Music (not to discredit Music). Is it weighted the same?

noob4lyfe

New

Post by noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm

dingbat wrote:Honestly, I think you could probably get a 140 just by going C, C, C, C, C, right down the line
+1

Got a good laugh out of that one!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”