Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noob4lyfe
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am

Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey Tls'ers.

I know what your thinking. I've effectively messed up EVERYTHING. And i have. I take full responsibility for both of those 2 numbers shown above. Feeling terrible isn't close to what is going through my mind at the moment. Disgusted with the results, yet I'm crazy enough to still pursue Law solely because it's becoming my passion as i learn more about the profession.

Undergrad:
Accounting Major w/2.37
i've managed to get consistent A's in pre-req & conseq courses which i enjoyed taking.

Softs: Major School contributions. Fundraising $1200 for UNICEF.
Mentoring Club for 2 yrs w/Certificate.
Additional Fundraising for another student group for $4100

LSAT:
December 2012: 143
You guy's are going to cry, but I actually worked at achieving this mark from a 135- cold diag. My study method was to re-take PT's from 1-50, which i did. And I improved +8 marks over a 2.5 month period. I looked at my errors tried correcting them. All self study.

I am committed to community involvement outside of school as well (if that helps)

Additional Soft's: Involved with Political Organization for which I've fund-raised $29,542 for the Flood in 2010 - Received an Award of Recognition (while in school)
Also working with them, Raised an additional +$140,000 for a Cancer Hospital & Research.
Internship with a Crown Corp of the Government (Summer position)

My personal statement consists of the steps I took to getting involved with the community to fund raise towards the causes mentioned above.

I have a few questions:

1. Where do i stand?
2. Will schools such as Baylor or SUNY Buffalo look at my extra circulars and take me in for this year?
3. A dream school would be Boston U. What would it take me to get there and Am i under selling my self IF I retake LSAT (what score should do i aim for)
5. I am willing to take a prep course. Looking at TM's and PS for now. Any thoughts?
6. What do you guys recommend is the game plan from hereon in?

I am pretty much a wreak and need a brand new game plan.

Appreciate your feedback. Good and Bad. I definitely need the 'slap in the face' type comments so those are appreciated too. Don't hold back because i'm already killing myself for doing soo poorly.

Thanks for reading, if you've read this far.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

noob4lyfe wrote:Hey Tls'ers.

I know what your thinking. I've effectively messed up EVERYTHING. And i have. I take full responsibility for both of those 2 numbers shown above. Feeling terrible isn't close to what is going through my mind at the moment. Disgusted with the results, yet I'm crazy enough to still pursue Law solely because it's becoming my passion as i learn more about the profession.

Undergrad:
Accounting Major w/2.37
i've managed to get consistent A's in pre-req & conseq courses which i enjoyed taking.

Softs: Major School contributions. Fundraising $1200 for UNICEF.
Mentoring Club for 2 yrs w/Certificate.
Additional Fundraising for another student group for $4100

LSAT:
December 2012: 143
You guy's are going to cry, but I actually worked at achieving this mark from a 135- cold diag. My study method was to re-take PT's from 1-50, which i did. And I improved +8 marks over a 2.5 month period. I looked at my errors tried correcting them. All self study.

I am committed to community involvement outside of school as well (if that helps)

Additional Soft's: Involved with Political Organization for which I've fund-raised $29,542 for the Flood in 2010 - Received an Award of Recognition (while in school)
Also working with them, Raised an additional +$140,000 for a Cancer Hospital & Research.
Internship with a Crown Corp of the Government (Summer position)

My personal statement consists of the steps I took to getting involved with the community to fund raise towards the causes mentioned above.

I have a few questions:

1. Where do i stand?
2. Will schools such as Baylor or SUNY Buffalo look at my extra circulars and take me in for this year?
3. A dream school would be Boston U. What would it take me to get there and Am i under selling my self IF I retake LSAT (what score should do i aim for)
5. I am willing to take a prep course. Looking at TM's and PS for now. Any thoughts?
6. What do you guys recommend is the game plan from hereon in?

I am pretty much a wreak and need a brand new game plan.

Appreciate your feedback. Good and Bad. I definitely need the 'slap in the face' comments so those are appreciated too. Don't hold back because i'm already killing myself for doing soo poorly.

Thanks for reading, if you've read this far.


If serious:

(1) Retake
(2) No
(3) Retake and 160
(4) Nonexistent
(5) If you like a smaller class size, Powerscore is a solid program.
(6) Hire a tutor.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Schools don't care about extracurriculars. Retake. Or dont go. Its that simple. Given the very low GPA, you will need a very high LSAt for a decent school choice.

noob4lyfe
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby noob4lyfe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
noob4lyfe wrote:Hey Tls'ers.

I know what your thinking. I've effectively messed up EVERYTHING. And i have. I take full responsibility for both of those 2 numbers shown above. Feeling terrible isn't close to what is going through my mind at the moment. Disgusted with the results, yet I'm crazy enough to still pursue Law solely because it's becoming my passion as i learn more about the profession.

Undergrad:
Accounting Major w/2.37
i've managed to get consistent A's in pre-req & conseq courses which i enjoyed taking.

Softs: Major School contributions. Fundraising $1200 for UNICEF.
Mentoring Club for 2 yrs w/Certificate.
Additional Fundraising for another student group for $4100

LSAT:
December 2012: 143
You guy's are going to cry, but I actually worked at achieving this mark from a 135- cold diag. My study method was to re-take PT's from 1-50, which i did. And I improved +8 marks over a 2.5 month period. I looked at my errors tried correcting them. All self study.

I am committed to community involvement outside of school as well (if that helps)

Additional Soft's: Involved with Political Organization for which I've fund-raised $29,542 for the Flood in 2010 - Received an Award of Recognition (while in school)
Also working with them, Raised an additional +$140,000 for a Cancer Hospital & Research.
Internship with a Crown Corp of the Government (Summer position)

My personal statement consists of the steps I took to getting involved with the community to fund raise towards the causes mentioned above.

I have a few questions:

1. Where do i stand?
2. Will schools such as Baylor or SUNY Buffalo look at my extra circulars and take me in for this year?
3. A dream school would be Boston U. What would it take me to get there and Am i under selling my self IF I retake LSAT (what score should do i aim for)
5. I am willing to take a prep course. Looking at TM's and PS for now. Any thoughts?
6. What do you guys recommend is the game plan from hereon in?

I am pretty much a wreak and need a brand new game plan.

Appreciate your feedback. Good and Bad. I definitely need the 'slap in the face' comments so those are appreciated too. Don't hold back because i'm already killing myself for doing soo poorly.

Thanks for reading, if you've read this far.


If serious:

(1) Retake
(2) No
(3) Retake and 160
(4) Nonexistent
(5) If you like a smaller class size, Powerscore is a solid program.
(6) Hire a tutor.


Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple questions

1. If retake, you recommend +160? If so, is that achievable within the June test.
I looked into prep courses and they start 2 months prior to the test. I wanted to be PT'ing at +160 with comfort before couple months till the exam. So i know it would be safe for me to test at that level. Is the prep course just a shot in the dark, if It's done teaching me couple weeks till the exam starts?

6. I'm a tutor myself for Undergrad courses (a very good one at that; Content I could include in the Personal statement), which clearly doesn't translate into learning Lsat material. I bought the PS Bible, how do you recommend i read it. From start-finish or specific sections?

Also, Is there any harm in applying this cycle? My thoughts, Apply.. get rejected.. so what. <- is there a downside to this approach?
One i can think of, is them reading the same Personal Statement twice.
Last edited by noob4lyfe on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

You should aim for a 180. But really, you'll need 170+ (maybe 175+) with your GPA to have a shot at a decent school. I don't know what the numbers are for Northwestern, but I know they do take some low GPAs combined with high LSATs, so check out Law School Numbers for specifics. Just think of Elle Woods: she worked her way up from a 135 to a 175 in a few months with a little help from her sorority sisters. If she can do it, you can do it (however, note that Elle also had a 4.0).

Of course, for a school like Northwestern, you should also get some work experience. This is REALLY IMPORTANT no matter where you go. You may or may not improve dramatically on the LSAT so it's important to have a backup plan. Do you like accounting? You said you loved the pre-reqs and courses in your major. Maybe you should be an account for a few years and see what it's like. Do not close your mind to other professions just because you're thinking about law school. Moreover, please recognize that going to law school may not help you become a lawyer, about half of all law students never get real legal jobs and even those who do often get terrible jobs.

You should absolutely aim higher than Boston University. I go there and I can tell you that many people graduate without real, full-time jobs. Just look at Law School Transparency. BU's employment score is 50.9%. Why spend good money for a school with such poor placement? The only way it's worth going to is if you're getting a full ride. Even then, it's iffy. Maybe if you have a full-ride and a burning passion for the city of Boston and already own a home in Boston (with an underwater mortgage) and your spouse has a lucrative job in Boston (that he or she couldn't find elsewhere). Otherwise, no.

Also, softs generally don't mean much. Particularly when they're just college extra-curriculars. Many of your classmates will have come from TFA, Peace Corps, consulting firms, etc. A lot of students have more significant softs, and even those don't do much for them in terms of getting in to a reach school.

You should absolutely take a prep course. I did and it really helped me. I'm not a self-disciplined person and I needed the structure of a class to make me study. Maybe this structure will help you as well.

Also, consider other careers.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm

^ OP will need a lot higher than 160 to be accepted by BU

That GPA is ridiculously low and the LSAT is disappointing; any reputable school will throw your application in the trash without even looking beyond those two numbers.
You can, and should, retake the LSAT. There is no way you can get into a semi-decent law school without at least 160, but will probably need significantly higher. (Buffalo might take you as a splitter if you can get 160; I won't trash the school, though others probably will)

The best bet would be to get a few years of work experience, to distance yourself from your GPA. Despite what most people on the board say, work experience does count for something. If you can get the rest of your application (LOR, work experience, LSAT, personal statement) to absolutely shine, you'll improve the chance of a school looking past your GPA.

As it stands, you now have two big strikes against you: an LSAT below the 25% of even the worst TTTs (if you don't know what that is, just ask), and a GPA below the 25% of the worst TTTs.

No one is getting in with two big strikes (except maybe a diploma mill, but you don't want to attend one of those). By retaking, you can get one of those strikes removed. The other you can't do anything about. But if everything else is stellar and you put some distance (i.e. time) between you and your GPA, you might get accepted to a reasonable school at some point in the future

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Have you considered ED UVa? I'm trying to get us to push out of the tie at 7, and you'd help our selectivity rating.

MOD EDIT: This user has been banned. You can stop reporting this post now. Thanks.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry bud. Any school that will take you is not worth going to.

If you go to law school at sticker, which you would, you will be crippled by the debt for a very long time since you won't get a job.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm

noob4lyfe wrote:I'm a tutor myself for Undergrad courses

how does someone with a 2.37 GPA become a tutor? Who on earth would want to get tutored by someone with such a low GPA?

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 pm

In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:42 pm

uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.


A social work program won't accept someone with a sub 3.0 GPA either.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

U need a 180 for bu even then prob not. You won't get a 180 with a 137 diag. It's not feasible. The amount of work needed would be 2x a social work degree just to get waitlisted at BU.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm

cinephile wrote:
uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.


A social work program won't accept someone with a sub 3.0 GPA either.

OP is as far from a 3.0 as i was from a 4.0 and my gpa was said to be too low for lol school.

I also never studied. Ever. I did nothing and got that gpa. I had a high diag and then decided to stop being a loser. OP seems to have really tried. He can maybe acquire other skills. He seems nice but I'd eat him for breakfast, shit him out then reeat him, and I'm not even a gunner. He'd get destroyed.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:47 pm

What is a typical LSAT point increase doing self-study with a low diagnostic? Or taking a program? Or other methods? Is there evidence of this?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

uvabro wrote:
cinephile wrote:
uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.


A social work program won't accept someone with a sub 3.0 GPA either.

OP is as far from a 3.0 as i was from a 4.0 and my gpa was said to be too low for lol school.


Yeah, but for law school you can make up for it with a decent LSAT. I've looked into social work programs as well and more than half of them don't require the GRE. So, while I suppose you can make up for it in other ways, they'd probably accpt someone with a low GPA and a BSW/psych degree and social work internships/experience.

Honestly, I don't think this person should invest in more school, at least not yet. If he or she has the necessary courses to sit for a CPA exam, why not do that and work as an accountant? Even if not, work for a few years doing ANYTHING before heading back to school.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

cinephile wrote:
uvabro wrote:
cinephile wrote:
uvabro wrote:In all seriousness even with a 170 you are in bad shape with the gpa. It's too low. You should pursue an MSW or another field where you can hit your goal to help the community. Law won't give you an opportunity unless your parents are filthy rich. A 135 to 170 is impossible. You'd need to meet with a tutor daily for a year and totally change how you think. It is a 20k investment.


A social work program won't accept someone with a sub 3.0 GPA either.

OP is as far from a 3.0 as i was from a 4.0 and my gpa was said to be too low for lol school.


Yeah, but for law school you can make up for it with a decent LSAT. I've looked into social work programs as well and more than half of them don't require the GRE. So, while I suppose you can make up for it in other ways, they'd probably accpt someone with a low GPA and a BSW/psych degree and social work internships/experience.

Honestly, I don't think this person should invest in more school, at least not yet. If he or she has the necessary courses to sit for a CPA exam, why not do that and work as an accountant? Even if not, work for a few years doing ANYTHING before heading back to school.


That's what I pm'ed. Retaking courses at his UG, going for a masters with a solid job, etc..

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:What is a typical LSAT point increase doing self-study with a low diagnostic? Or taking a program? Or other methods? Is there evidence of this?

I tutored the lsat and averaged around 10 pts for meeting 2x a week over 4 plus months, and this was enough to develop a reputation as a good tutor. I once had someone improve 25 points. 35-40 points, I never even heard of that.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Honestly, I think you could probably get a 140 just by going C, C, C, C, C, right down the line

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm

uvabro wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:What is a typical LSAT point increase doing self-study with a low diagnostic? Or taking a program? Or other methods? Is there evidence of this?

I tutored the lsat and averaged around 10 pts for meeting 2x a week over 4 plus months, and this was enough to develop a reputation as a good tutor. I once had someone improve 25 points. 35-40 points, I never even heard of that.


Yeah, I just wonder if OP did the tutor route, plus a masters if that would be sufficient enough for a reconsider in about two years. I think that law schools want older candidates. Too many newbies enter law school with idealism.

I chose a very, very wrong school and I have to rearrange my whole life because of this (I should be ok because I have a solid resume) but I know many other students who are not in the same boat. I sincerely feel bad for them. I went against TLS logic, even when I was aware of TLS logic, and I know that there are many folks who are not aware about this site or others that talk about law school prospects.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm

dingbat wrote:Honestly, I think you could probably get a 140 just by going C, C, C, C, C, right down the line


If you're just going to troll topics instead of legitimately discuss them, then mods seriously need to consider banning you.

Your statement above has been said numerous times. It really needs to be stopped when there is a serious poster. Did you not learn anything from the other thread you bungled up? Seriously.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I feel bad for people who are hurt by drunk driver's or raped or discriminated against for a disability. I don't feel bad for over confident spoiled shitboomer's kids who refuse to work hard, get a 140 and then expect to compete against me for jerbs. I drink their milkshake. I trust my friends all feel the same, and they are all much better ppl than i.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:Honestly, I think you could probably get a 140 just by going C, C, C, C, C, right down the line


If you're just going to troll topics instead of legitimately discuss them, then mods seriously need to consider banning you.

Your statement above has been said numerous times. It really needs to be stopped when there is a serious poster. Did you not learn anything from the other thread you bungled up? Seriously.

I am serious. going C straight down the line means getting about a 5th correct, let's say 17-23. Depending on the curve, this means about a 135-144 LSAT
I also don't troll the on-topics.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 pm

uvabro wrote:I feel bad for people who are hurt by drunk driver's or raped or discriminated against for a disability. I don't feel bad for over confident spoiled shitboomer's kids who refuse to work hard, get a 140 and then expect to compete against me for jerbs. I drink their milkshake. I trust my friends all feel the same, and they are all much better ppl than i.


I get your point, however, I've always personally been a horrible test-taker but have been awesome at getting jobs. I know my resume was why law schools took a look at me, because it clearly was not my LSAT. I have never performed well on ANY standardized test. Period. I've taken them all. I've bombed them all.

That doesn't mean that I think I'm god's gift to the legal profession. However, if there is a trend that for whatever reason (since I don't know what that reason is) that I perform bad on ALL tests, I don't want that test to be the reason that I'm not considered, even if I get why a school wouldn't consider me due to my score. If that makes sense.

I would probably steal your jerb. :D

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Cinephile: elle woods - really? It isnt a documentary. Let's stop being inspirational and be rule. OP law school sucks. The people are cool but i worked my ass off to go to a top ten and wake up every night 3 or 4 times having nightmares about unemployment. I prob have a better than even chance of a 160k job at this pt. you have under a 1 percent chance. If i was in a law school a 143 on any practice test would ever get me into, id undoubtedly be a coke addict. Law school is not right for you. It is as bad as crack. This is my last serious statement to u. I will only troll from hereon forward.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Shoot me now! 2.37/143 l Long read

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't understand why on almost every thread I have produced you guys immediately and loudly proclaimed I was a troll. But with this guy, you aren't doing the same. With his numbers, OP should be smart enough to know that trying to attend law school is a bad idea. My threads posed and discussed questions that a lot of people care about in selecting a school.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests