172/4.0 - Apply next cycle or even apply altogether?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
woffordterrier

172/4.0 - Apply next cycle or even apply altogether?

Postby woffordterrier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Stats/Facts:
4.0 in Economics from a small, relatively unknown liberal arts college
172 LSAT (first attempt)
2 years work experience as an analyst at boutique consulting firm
MBA from INSEAD (well-ranked one year international program)
Halfway through my second year as an associate at the same consulting firm
Neither parent finished high school, so I can also check off the first generation college graduate box
Zero debt from undergrad (full-ride) and grad (firm paid for MBA)

I took the LSAT in June, but I've yet to apply. I'm afraid that's a HUGE sign that I'm not really that interested in the law. I had always imagined myself as an attorney growing up, but I got a consulting offer senior year, took it, and didn't really look back.

However, I'm not happy in consulting and can't see myself doing this for another year, let alone the rest of my career. The pay is about $80k with a ~$30k bonus, not including my per diem. This isn't terrible, but it's much lower than the industry standard. The hours aren't bad; it's the travel that sucks. I fly out on Sunday night and get back on Thursday night. Sometimes I'm placed on projects in fun cities, like Chicago or Philly; other times I get stuck in places like Oklahoma for six months at a time. I've also had a lot of trouble maintaining relationships and friendships with this schedule.

As for law school, I don't want to limit job opportunities, and I want a world-class education and résumé booster. This sounds prestige whorish, I know. But I turned down top undergrads because of costs and top MBA programs because I didn't want to forgo income for two whole years, and I regret both decisions now. In short, I'm really only interested the T6 schools and would do anything for Yale. Cost isn't a factor now, because I have enough saved up to cover COL and I figure I've used up all my luck getting two degrees for free.

With all that considered, should I suck it up and apply now, wait until next year, or just not apply altogether?

bdubs

Re: 172/4.0 - Apply next cycle or even apply altogether?

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I would only take HYS or CC with substantial scholarship money if I were you. The timing is going to hurt you some because of rolling admissions but it won't be interpreted as showing you're not interested.

If you really want Yale or Stanford you're going to need to put some effort into your application. Particularly in getting letters of recommendation that showcase your academic abilities. Stanford in particular likes tailored letters of recommendation that are specific to the school. You stand a decent chance at both if you have a good application package.

Also, not that it matters a ton but how did you do at INSEAD? It might affect decisions at places like Y & S.
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

You will likely get into Harvard and below. Coinflip at Stanford for Accept / Reject + Waitlist. Not great chances at Yale.

You should only retake if you really want Yale or Stanford, otherwise you have Harvard and significant $$$ at CCN and below.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

woffordterrier

Postby woffordterrier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm

bdubs wrote:Also, not that it matters a ton but how did you do at INSEAD? It might affect decisions at places like Y & S.

Top 10%, with grading based on the z-curve. The core classes at INSEAD are known for being tough, but the electives, which comprise the majority of the curriculum, are insanely easy.

kappycaft1 wrote:You might want to read this about biglaw before you decide that becoming a lawyer will help you have relationships or spend time with friends. Although the travel might not be as much, the schedule can be quite cumbersome.

I'd like to say that I've gotten over my money-grubbing desires after seeing what partners in consulting will do to make the big bucks.

After doing some research, I'm very intrigued by clerking and academia. I could even see myself at a small practice, as long as the lifestyle is decent and I could focus on a niche I find appealing. I'd like to work 60 hours a week at the very most. So, I'm not that interested in biglaw, but that could change.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm

woffordterrier wrote:I'd like to say that I've gotten over my money-grubbing desires after seeing what partners in consulting will do to make the big bucks.

After doing some research, I'm very intrigued by clerking and academia. I could even see myself at a small practice, as long as the lifestyle is decent and I could focus on a niche I find appealing. I'd like to work 60 hours a week at the very most. So, I'm not that interested in biglaw, but that could change.

You should only go if you get in to Yale or Stanford then.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

In at everything below H.
85%+ chance at H
Tossup at S.

Likely out at Y.

Improve your LSAT to 173+ and you're a tossup at Y and a lock at H if you weren't already.

If you want prestige, you will probably get it. You will probably also pay sticker for school since you make a more than a reasonable income.

If you want to go down this route: I'd apply this year, if you aren't happy with the results, apply again next year -- possibly with a retake in between.

Apply soon if you do apply this year though. As soon as possible.

If you're undecided, apply now and make decisions once the decisions come in.

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

You are making 110K with a Wofford degree? First off, well done. Second, what consulting firm are you at? 110K is pretty solid and law may not be in your best interests. Your post sounds like something written from a person who does not need to be practicing biglaw.

woffordterrier

Postby woffordterrier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 pm

SEngland wrote:You are making 110K with a Wofford degree? First off, well done. Second, what consulting firm are you at? 110K is pretty solid and law may not be in your best interests. Your post sounds like something written from a person who does not need to be practicing biglaw.

Well, 110k five years out. There are a decent number of kids at Wofford who land IB analyst gigs and legit corporate rotational programs each year for a small school, but you'd be surprised at how many kids I know who went to USC and landed killer IB/trading spots in Charlotte.

My consulting firm is small, located in the South, and recruits heavily at UNC/UGA/USC.
Last edited by woffordterrier on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

woffordterrier wrote:
SEngland wrote:You are making 110K with a Wofford degree? First off, well done. Second, what consulting firm are you at? 110K is pretty solid and law may not be in your best interests. Your post sounds like something written from a person who does not need to be practicing biglaw.

Well, 110k five years out. There are a decent number of kids at Wofford who land IB analyst gigs and legit corporate rotational programs each year for small school, but you'd be surprised at how many kids I know who went to USC and landed killer IB/trading spots in Charlotte.

My consulting firm is small, located in the South, and recruits heavily at UNC/UGA/USC.

That's pretty sick as I would not think of USC (South Carolina and not SoCal) would get hooked up like that. Either way, if you are not sure about LS then I would hold off.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 pm

If you're not happy and you want to apply, then apply ASAP. If you get into Yale, Stanford, or Harvard, then go to law school.

You stand a great chance at getting into H, S, and/or Y.

Return to “What are my chances?”