180 or retake

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
blugirl400
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:40 pm

180 or retake

Postby blugirl400 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 am

That seems to be the sentiment I'm getting from this board.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:51 am

problem?

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15019
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: 180 or retake

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 am

blugirl400 wrote:That seems to be the sentiment I'm getting from this board.


Good. The sentiment I'm getting from your post is straw man bs.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 am

OP has a 158. I figured it was someone with a 170+ complaining about the retake shtick.

You got a long way to go, kid.

uvabro
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby uvabro » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

InGoodFaith wrote:OP has a 158. I figured it was someone with a 170+ complaining about the retake shtick.

You got a long way to go, kid.

If only the top 40% of the LSAT will go to law school and only about 25% of grads will get hired as lawyers it would be dumb to expect to be a lawyer if you can't do better than 75% of that 40%. If you think you can but just don't have the work ethic to stomach another test try stomaching a semester of law school. You're probably more likely to do shity and not get a job than someone who tries really hard to get a 170 but can't as law school is less about intelligence and more about tenacity.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 am

blugirl400 wrote:That seems to be the sentiment I'm getting from this board.

depends on your goals and your actual score. Want to study at U South Dakota and want to work in that state? No need to retake a 155. Want biglaw? don't accept anything under 170.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 am

No

JWalker
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby JWalker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 am

Retake until you get a 180, then ED UVA.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 am

The reason the statistics are that way in the fist place is because many of those people don't retake / study properly. If you aren't taking off one full year to study full time and then taking the LSAT in June and October, you aren't maximizing your full potential. The LSAT is learn-able. Your raw score and any score before at least 10-15 PT's should not matter.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 am

nebula666 wrote:If you aren't taking off one full year to study full time ... you aren't maximizing your full potential.

Bullshit. You do not need to take a year off just to study for the LSAT. You do need to put in enough time and actually study for the LSAT. How much is enough time is open to debate, but the undergrad course load is low enough that you can easily do so. It's also possible to work full time and put enough study time in. Also, a year is more than necessary, but for most people, anything less than 3 months is too little.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby Elston Gunn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am

OP, you're not as far off as you think. If you have retakes left, and you have scored below a 173/174, you probably should retake even if you have no chance of getting those scores. Another test doesn't hurt you, and a few points (which you can get randomly) is a huge huge deal for scholarships.

Read this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &sk=t&sd=a
Last edited by Elston Gunn on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby boblawlob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Everyone has a different situation. But this board is trying to set you up for success. I applaud TLS for that.

But don't think that just because you have a 170 that that means your work is done. It's only getting started.

In short: TLS says don't go to TTT.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby nebula666 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 pm

dingbat wrote:
nebula666 wrote:If you aren't taking off one full year to study full time ... you aren't maximizing your full potential.

Bullshit. You do not need to take a year off just to study for the LSAT. You do need to put in enough time and actually study for the LSAT. How much is enough time is open to debate, but the undergrad course load is low enough that you can easily do so. It's also possible to work full time and put enough study time in. Also, a year is more than necessary, but for most people, anything less than 3 months is too little.


I agree but if you start to study and don't hit near your target score in the first few months, you should keep going until you improve. Some people start to get 170's after a few tests and for others it takes a long time.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby isuperserial » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:33 pm

A bit hyperbolic, but I see what you mean. The thing is, if you want to get a 160 and be happy with that, that's fantastic. Good for you, take yourself out to dinner, and enjoy your life. But if you ask for someone's honest opinion, don't be upset when they tell you how they really feel about your situation.

I haven't taken my LSAT yet. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to get, but I'm studying now for the June test and I'm taking a class with Testmasters. However, even I know that if you want to maximize your future, you need the highest score possible.

Saying you should study and retake for a better score is like saying you should study hard in undergrad so you can get a better GPA if you want to go to law school. It's not rude, it's common sense. It's also probably what you need to hear so you don't end up playing Russian Roulette with your future. Hard truths are difficult to hear, but not nearly painful as a mountain of debt and no career to show for it.

I'm no expert, but it's my opinion that you should shoot for a 170 or higher. If you achieve that and have a matching GPA, you're in fantastic shape.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

I guess I need to retake.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I guess I need to retake.

Dust off all the prep materials Noodley! I'll do the same. Though I'm a paltry 173 (helped in part by your retakers study guide Noodley), I was absolutely going to retake with a 170 or anything below. I was probably going to retake with a 171-172. 173 was the pure coin-toss number, and of course I get it.

There are folks that need to retake with a 173-174 if their aspirations are high enough and there are folks who could perhaps live a long, content life with a 14x.

Nebula, though I realize everyone's test-taking abilities vary, I put in a solid 7-8 weeks at 25 hours per week and moved myself 13 points from my first cold 160 PT. People have to make sure they're not screwing around with it, and 90 days can move most people to outstanding numbers (as compared to their off-the-street score). I found those 25 hours while working about 55-60 hours a week and coming home with a wife and child. Every evening after I put my son down (wife works nights) until 11pm was LSAT time, as well as 12-15 hours between Sat and Sun.

Folks need to be honest with themselves and avoid what I used to call the sorority gal workout when I was an undergrad (walking on the treadmill at 2mph for an hour talking to the person next to you reading a magazine) and ask why you're not at a perfect fitness level after 2-3 months. Bust your ass in a focused way and watch it happen!

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15019
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: 180 or retake

Postby suralin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

craigsan18 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I guess I need to retake.

Dust off all the prep materials Noodley! I'll do the same. Though I'm a paltry 173 (helped in part by your retakers study guide Noodley), I was absolutely going to retake with a 170 or anything below. I was probably going to retake with a 171-172. 173 was the pure coin-toss number, and of course I get it.

There are folks that need to retake with a 173-174 if their aspirations are high enough and there are folks who could perhaps live a long, content life with a 14x.

Nebula, though I realize everyone's test-taking abilities vary, I put in a solid 7-8 weeks at 25 hours per week and moved myself 13 points from my first cold 160 PT. People have to make sure they're not screwing around with it, and 90 days can move most people to outstanding numbers (as compared to their off-the-street score). I found those 25 hours while working about 55-60 hours a week and coming home with a wife and child. Every evening after I put my son down (wife works nights) until 11pm was LSAT time, as well as 12-15 hours between Sat and Sun.

Folks need to be honest with themselves and avoid what I used to call the sorority gal workout when I was an undergrad (walking on the treadmill at 2mph for an hour talking to the person next to you reading a magazine) and ask why you're not at a perfect fitness level after 2-3 months. Bust your ass in a focused way and watch it happen!


+1 for sorority gal workout reference

User avatar
epiphinous7
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby epiphinous7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Nah really its 170+ or retake...

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm

epiphinous7 wrote:Nah really its 170+ or retake...

unless shooting for YHCN, or you want a significant scholly at the T14

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

dingbat wrote:
epiphinous7 wrote:Nah really its 170+ or retake...

unless shooting for YHCN, or you want a significant scholly at the T14


Or you're in the LSAT FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE just to get into a strong regional school, thanks to a shitty 20-year old uGPA.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 am

Naw retake 180 also; three 180s are obvs more impressive than one.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am

Crowing wrote:Naw retake 180 also; three 180s are obvs more impressive than one.

The world according to Dave Hall

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am

dingbat wrote:
Crowing wrote:Naw retake 180 also; three 180s are obvs more impressive than one.

The world according to Dave Hall


"It’s such a vibrant online community that one could devote an entire second site to meta-coverage of TLS."

LOL

klipsch3212
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby klipsch3212 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm

lol. When I had a 158 everyone told me to retake and aim for a 170

on the retake I got a 169.. they told me to retake and aim for a 175

In june if I get a 173, I bet i'll be laughed off the board :(

When will this end?!!! :P

I do understand the rationale behind it, but it would be nice if forum members first posted the answer to the question:

aka "I think you should attend UCLA over USC"

And THEN say "but if I were you i'd retake and aim for stanford"

Just my 2 cents :)

User avatar
Ave
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Re: 180 or retake

Postby Ave » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

klipsch3212 wrote:lol. When I had a 158 everyone told me to retake and aim for a 170

on the retake I got a 169.. they told me to retake and aim for a 175

In june if I get a 173, I bet i'll be laughed off the board :(

When will this end?!!! :P

I do understand the rationale behind it, but it would be nice if forum members first posted the answer to the question:

aka "I think you should attend UCLA over USC"

And THEN say "but if I were you i'd retake and aim for stanford"

Just my 2 cents :)

retake




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest