How will multiple LSAT scores impact my application to Duke? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Poo-T

Bronze

How will multiple LSAT scores impact my application to Duke?

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Duke FAQ - "In the case of multiple test scores, data show that the average score is generally the most useful in predicting law school performance; however, Duke may place greater weight on a high score if the applicant provides compelling information about why that score is a better indication of his or her potential. If you feel that one or more of your test scores does not accurately reflect your ability or potential, please use the Miscellaneous Addendum attachment to explain this disparity."

OCT LSAT 159
DEC LSAT 170

Should I write an addendum? Does this mean they're gonna look at me as a 165?

I'd greatly welcome any advice from people who have been in a similar position.

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: How will multiple LSAT scores impact my application to Duke?

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm

It won't affect you, but I would write an addendum anyways. Whats your GPA?

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:It won't affect you, but I would write an addendum anyways. Whats your GPA?
Cum. GPA is 3.7, Deg. GPA is 3.36

Part of my low score in OCT was in fact the result of anxiety. Would that be a legit reason?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Law schools only need to submit the higher score to USNews, so it's really the only score that matters in this situation. This being said, having multiple scores may be a slight hindrance compared to an applicant that just straight up got a 170.

In regards to writing an addendum, is there anything that changed between your 159 and 170? Did you have more time to study because of a shift in class or work schedule? Did you work on any test anxieties you had? If you have a reason, just explain it. They're not looking for a novel.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Poo-T wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:It won't affect you, but I would write an addendum anyways. Whats your GPA?

Part of my low score in OCT was in fact the result of anxiety. Would that be a legit reason?
no, and don't mention that. The only reason to write an addendum would be if there something that will help explain it and strengthen your application (like a major family trauma). The school is concerned with two things: 1. what are your reportable numbers (GPA + highest LSAT) 2. what indications are there that this person will do well in interviews and on paper post-JD, and thus help our employment #s.

with your numbers I think you're in to Duke either way with some $.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:
Poo-T wrote:

no, and don't mention that. The only reason to write an addendum would be if there something that will help explain it and strengthen your application (like a major family trauma).

with your numbers I think you're in to Duke either way with some $.
So you wouldn't recommend writing one, (given what I've told you of course)?

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:38 pm

I wouldn't bother writing an addendum if the low score was just caused by anxiety. I don't expect that the first score will affect you much anyway. I took the LSAT twice as well. I also applied to law school in two different cycles ( I decided not to attend in 2010 for personal reasons, and then reapplied last year). Both times, my acceptances were fairly close to what I expected based on my higher lsat score - not the average.

Good luck.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. However, the general vibe I'm getting is that I don't have much of a reason to write an addendum. But most people are saying that I shouldn't be too worried about it either. That sounds good to me.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm

One thing I did between test 1 and test 2 was read a bunch of books. Would that be a good reason to write an addendum? I attribute that for a large portion of my improvement, and so in that sense it reflects an honest improvement in my academic abilities. I just need a good way to write it.

Thoughts? I just feel silly not addressing my 159 and letting it hang in the breeze unacknowledged like that. Nah mean?
Last edited by Poo-T on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Poo-T wrote:One thing I did between test 1 and test 2 was read a bunch books. Would that be a good reason to write an addendum? I attribute that for a large portion of my improvement, and so in that sense it reflects an honest improvement in my academic abilities. I just need a good way to write it.

Thoughts? I just feel silly not addressing my 159 and letting hang in the breeze unacknowledged like that. Nah mean?
5 years ago the idea of going to Duke law seemed like an impossibility. I would never imagine being able to go there. But now, 5 years down the road, it's suddenly in reach. I can even smell it (seriously, it's like 6 miles from where I go to school). Why come so far to fail...

I'm cool with not getting in, but I want to give it all I've got before that happens.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Duke was the only school I sent an addendum this cycle because they explicitly asked for it. Like you my average score was somewhere around a 164. I explained some of the personal things going on in my life at the time that distracted from my studying and acknowledged that I took the test less prepared than I should have been which was a lapse in judgement. It was fine, they accepted me (PT applicant) in a few days.

I would try and write something because they ask for it but I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal either way.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Thank you Zuck and Sin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:44 pm

sinfiery wrote:Image

(for a good time, right click the image and view source.)

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm

I got a 160 & 169, the schools only care about the highest score. I already got 105k at UVA & in at NYU. If they averaged, I wouldn't have that

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:I got a 160 & 169, the schools only care about the highest score. I already got 105k at UVA & in at NYU. If they averaged, I wouldn't have that
did you write an addendum?

also go vikings

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm

I know people who had the same gap in their scores and got into Duke.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Poo-T wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:I got a 160 & 169, the schools only care about the highest score. I already got 105k at UVA & in at NYU. If they averaged, I wouldn't have that
did you write an addendum?

also go vikings
Nope no addendum

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”