2.8 / 171

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
scottybear

2.8 / 171

Postby scottybear » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

hi everyone! looking for some 'chances' feedback and maybe some advice...

I got a 171 lsat, but my gpa is around 2.8. most of that is from my time in community college, i got something more like a 3.0 once i transferred to a UC and now i'm in grad school at a state school and getting something more like a 3.5. definitely an upward trend.

so, here's the question: i'd really like to to to ucla. thoughts? I'm not an URM. have some normal/decent softs (almost done with an MA, lots of diverse work experience, etc).

lawschoolpredictor is listing ucla as a reach school for me. I guess I'm out of the t-14, or are there some really, really, really splitter-friendly schools out there where I may have a better chance? I read the guide for splitters, ucla doesn't seem to be a splitter friendly school unfortunately.
any advice on where to go from here? will retaking make that big of a difference if it's in feb? should i just wait until next cycle?

thanks everyone for input.

Re: 2.8 / 171

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 pm

If you wanna stay in California you are probably pretty fucked.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

scottybear wrote:so, here's the question: i'd really like to to to ucla. thoughts? I'm not an URM. have some normal/decent softs (almost done with an MA, lots of diverse work experience, etc).

lawschoolpredictor is listing ucla as a reach school for me.

First, don't use LSP. It's pretty useless, especially for splitters.

Second, UCLA is out with that GPA. Since you have work experience, you have a shot at Northwestern, though your chances would be a lot better with a 174+.

scottybear

Postby scottybear » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

first, thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing that you're implicitly suggesting that the rest of the t-14 is also out simply because of my low gpa, or is a combination of the numbers? for example, would someone with a 178 or something and a 2.8 have a chance, or are we assuming that there's that unofficial and not talked about GPA floor?

but thanks for the replies. I'm not asking these questions (above and below) because I'm questioning anyone's opinion, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible

but now I'm confused about how exactly to interpret the idea of being f*cked if I want to stay in california?

For example, I know I could get into golden gate or santa clara or something. I even feel like I have a shot at pepperdine or loyola. I guess ucla is out with that gpa, and so I guess usc is out. So there are ways to stay in california.

The question, then, becomes how far down the list you are wishing your statement to extend. I'm not f*cked if I want to stay in california, I'm f*cked if I want to stay in california AND attend a school of a particular quality. But I don't know what this is. Is UC davis out? what about Irvine?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

wert3813 wrote:
scottybear wrote:first, thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing that you're implicitly suggesting that the rest of the t-14 is also out simply because of my low gpa, or is a combination of the numbers? for example, would someone with a 178 or something and a 2.8 have a chance, or are we assuming that there's that unofficial and not talked about GPA floor?

but thanks for the replies. I'm not asking these questions (above and below) because I'm questioning anyone's opinion, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible

but now I'm confused about how exactly to interpret the idea of being f*cked if I want to stay in california?

For example, I know I could get into golden gate or santa clara or something. I even feel like I have a shot at pepperdine or loyola. I guess ucla is out with that gpa, and so I guess usc is out. So there are ways to stay in california.

The question, then, becomes how far down the list you are wishing your statement to extend. I'm not f*cked if I want to stay in california, I'm f*cked if I want to stay in california AND attend a school of a particular quality. But I don't know what this is. Is UC davis out? what about Irvine?

I believe his point was that you are fucked in terms of attending a law school worth attending (in the state of California). You could probably get into Hastings I think.

I'm not the best at this game but I think at this point if you want a JOB in California your best option is to ED UVA. To be clear I'm not suggesting this a good option.

I also read his point as saying that there are only a few schools worth attending in California--because of just how many top schools there are and the relatively small legal market--and all those schools are GPA whores.

How badly do you want to go to school in California? Barring any extremely strong reasons, you should look into applying elsewhere. What are other geographic regions you'd be amenable to working in?

scottybear

Postby scottybear » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm

yeah, that's what I figured. I was just wondering where the line of "school worth going to" was drawn... I know this is TOP law schools, and places like davis and irvine might not be TOP schools, but are they considered "worth going to"?

I hope so... yikes.

But, yes, I would like to go to school in california and definitely work here. Family reasons, my kids are here, etc etc. I wouldn't want to WORK somewhere else but it might be worth it to leave for three years if I got into a great school that would give me a chance at a job (not necessarily biglaw) here when I got back.

so this basically means the t-14, which I'm not counting on at all. just idly hoping that someone will say "hey! turns out that there's a little known fact that X school in the t-14 loves splitters and you have a great shot there!"...

maybe i'll look into UVA. I haven't done a ton of research on the t14 assuming they're all out of my range... but it looks like a few of them care LESS than ucla about grades.

thanks again for the replies everyone

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Northwestern?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 pm

scottybear wrote:yeah, that's what I figured. I was just wondering where the line of "school worth going to" was drawn... I know this is TOP law schools, and places like davis and irvine might not be TOP schools, but are they considered "worth going to"?

I hope so... yikes.

They're not worth going to without a full-tuition scholarship with no GPA stipulations, which you would not receive. Barely more than half of UCD graduates are getting JD-required jobs. UCI is new and unaccredited, and it hasn't reported any official employment data so far. It has no alumni network whatsoever. It's a huge risk. Furthermore, these schools cost just as much as any T14, and the UC law schools keep jacking up tuition every year.

so this basically means the t-14, which I'm not counting on at all. just idly hoping that someone will say "hey! turns out that there's a little known fact that X school in the t-14 loves splitters and you have a great shot there!"...

That school is Northwestern. Since you have plenty of work experience, you do have a good shot there. Your shot would be better with a 174+, but I think it's still more likely than not that you would be accepted (at sticker, of course). However, it might be getting late in the cycle for extreme splitters.

You could apply this cycle and see what happens. Start preparing for a June retake with enough time to add at least three points to your score, even if you haven't yet heard back from Northwestern. You might ride the WL into summer. You could try to get off the WL with your higher LSAT, or you could just apply at the very beginning of the next cycle.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
scottybear wrote:yeah, that's what I figured. I was just wondering where the line of "school worth going to" was drawn... I know this is TOP law schools, and places like davis and irvine might not be TOP schools, but are they considered "worth going to"?

I hope so... yikes.

They're not worth going to without a full-tuition scholarship with no GPA stipulations, which you would not receive. Barely more than half of UCD graduates are getting JD-required jobs. UCI is new and unaccredited, and it hasn't reported any official employment data so far. It has no alumni network whatsoever. It's a huge risk. Furthermore, these schools cost just as much as any T14, and the UC law schools keep jacking up tuition every year.

That school is Northwestern. Since you have plenty of work experience, you do have a good shot there. Your shot would be better with a 174+, but I think it's still more likely than not that you would be accepted (at sticker, of course). However, it might be getting late in the cycle for extreme splitters.

You could apply this cycle and see what happens. Start preparing for a June retake with enough time to add at least three points to your score, even if you haven't yet heard back from Northwestern. You might ride the WL into summer. You could try to get off the WL with your higher LSAT, or you could just apply at the very beginning of the next cycle.

Can he still ED to Northwestern? If so that is def. the choice. If not does ED to UVA provide better odds than RD to NW? I think it might but again others know this stuff far more than me.

The average student at UC Davis has 237,000 dollars in debt. 45% do not have a fulltime JD legal job 9 months after graduation. To me (and most hopefully) that's not "worth going to".

He can't really ED to Northwestern at any time, because ED there is now more competitive than RD, since all ED applicants get a $150K scholarship. I'm not an expert on UVA ED by any means, but I gather that they're not so friendly to sub-3.0 GPAs. Could be wrong about that, though.

scottybear

Postby scottybear » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 pm

hm.
The only thing about northwestern that scares me... is the work experience. I have no idea why I think this, but I have the idea of northwestern as wanting like finance, suit-and-tie kind of work experience.

When I mentioned that I have lots of diverse work experience, I was trying to express that I have been involved in many fields. The idea being that I was a diverse applicant, not necessarily that my work experience was great as work experience. i.e. the good thing about my work experience is in the diversity, not how it looks on my resume.

For example, I did construction for a number of years, and then worked at a museum, and then worked with disabled children, and then worked in a recording studio, bike shop, etc, etc.

Again, no idea why i feel like when they want 'work experience' they want more "career-oriented" work experience. Or are they just looking for work experience in general?

I realize this is showing a lack of knowledge about northwestern, but I'd never really considered it as a viable option... figured it was waaay out of my league. has anyone had any experience or thoughts on what they're looking for?

thanks!

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 pm

scottybear wrote:hm.
The only thing about northwestern that scares me... is the work experience. I have no idea why I think this, but I have the idea of northwestern as wanting like finance, suit-and-tie kind of work experience.

When I mentioned that I have lots of diverse work experience, I was trying to express that I have been involved in many fields. The idea being that I was a diverse applicant, not necessarily that my work experience was great as work experience. i.e. the good thing about my work experience is in the diversity, not how it looks on my resume.

For example, I did construction for a number of years, and then worked at a museum, and then worked with disabled children, and then worked in a recording studio, bike shop, etc, etc.

Again, no idea why i feel like when they want 'work experience' they want more "career-oriented" work experience. Or are they just looking for work experience in general?

I realize this is showing a lack of knowledge about northwestern, but I'd never really considered it as a viable option... figured it was waaay out of my league. has anyone had any experience or thoughts on what they're looking for?

thanks!

Type of work experience doesn't really matter

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 pm

scottybear wrote:hm.

thanks!

What I've read indicates that they're just looking for work experience in general. I know a couple of people who got into Northwestern after working in coffee shops and record stores.

Hopefully some of our Northwestern posters can provide a little more insight on this.

scottybear

Postby scottybear » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

there's some good information and insight here. thanks to all who have responded.

I am definitely looking into northwestern without getting my hopes up, of course. I do have one more question, which may be a little off-topic but hopefully not so much as to annoy people.

Like I said, I got a 171. I've been very strongly considering just taking jan. and studying my a*s off for a retake in feb. I realize there's a chance my score might drop, but for the time being, let's assume that a)the schools i'm interested in all take one's highest score, and b) i might raise my score a few points.

Will raising my score, say, 2-3 points make a huge difference? or are we talking things pretty much being the same due to my low GPA unless I can pull a 180 or something?

thanks!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

wert3813 wrote:
scottybear wrote:there's some good information and insight here. thanks to all who have responded.

I am definitely looking into northwestern without getting my hopes up, of course. I do have one more question, which may be a little off-topic but hopefully not so much as to annoy people.

Like I said, I got a 171. I've been very strongly considering just taking jan. and studying my a*s off for a retake in feb. I realize there's a chance my score might drop, but for the time being, let's assume that a)the schools i'm interested in all take one's highest score, and b) i might raise my score a few points.

Will raising my score, say, 2-3 points make a huge difference? or are we talking things pretty much being the same due to my low GPA unless I can pull a 180 or something?

thanks!

This I can answer. Every point in the 170s matters when you have low GPA.

Yep. It is absolutely worth studying like mad over the next month. If February doesn't go as planned, they'll just look at your 171.

bowser

Postby bowser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

If you have anything like a reasonable chance of scoring higher, a retake is worth it. As an extreme splitter, you are probably well-advised to max out your retakes for the highest score possible.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 pm

bowser wrote:If you have anything like a reasonable chance of scoring higher, a retake is worth it. As an extreme splitter, you are probably well-advised to max out your retakes for the highest score possible.

+1

Return to “What are my chances?”