Pakistani Student

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
adeel

Pakistani Student

Postby adeel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I am a student from Pakistan and I have graduated from a local university (LUMS) with a Ugpa of 3.38 in 2012. I sat for my LSAT in December 2012 and scored a 163. What I want to know is that which law schools can I apply to at this time of the year and still be ensured an admission.

The most important thing for me right now is that which law schools in the top 40 offer scholarships to international students. I can not afford a JD unless more than 50% of my education is financed. Plus where can I find information regarding which law schools are the best for international applicants.

I would really appreciate if you can provide me the names so that I can begin searching on them and start applying as soon as possible.

Doorkeeper

Re: Pakistani Student

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm

You're an international student, so your GPA will not be given to law schools. LSAC will review your GPA and give you a grading "superior", "above average", etc. Law schools then shift their focus to your LSAT score. Basically you only have a chance of acceptance at schools that your LSAT score (164) is above the median score for the school. Unfortunately, the schools whose medias are below 164 are not particularly good law schools and are not worth the large expense it costs to attend.

You should retake the LSAT and aim for around a 170.

adeel

Postby adeel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 am

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, my degree is from an institution in Pakistan. According to LSAC my gpa remains 3.38. I am not really sure whether it will be completely disregarded, if it is, I think that might help my case. What do you think?

I am thinking of sitting again for the exam, but I want to take a shot with this score as well. In fact I want to avoid the arduous work and pressure associated with LSAT. Plus a year will be saved, but I am open to options.

I have already applied to Washington and Lee, Emory, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Georgia and I am thinking between Boston College and University.

are these not universities worth attending? Plus I want to know whether I have a chance of getting in with a scholarship. Thank you

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:07 am

adeel wrote:Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, my degree is from an institution in Pakistan. According to LSAC my gpa remains 3.38. I am not really sure whether it will be completely disregarded, if it is, I think that might help my case. What do you think?

I am thinking of sitting again for the exam, but I want to take a shot with this score as well. In fact I want to avoid the arduous work and pressure associated with LSAT. Plus a year will be saved, but I am open to options.

I have already applied to Washington and Lee, Emory, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Georgia and I am thinking between Boston College and University.

are these not universities worth attending? Plus I want to know whether I have a chance of getting in with a scholarship. Thank you

Yeah, defintiely reatake in Feb/June. There are benifits to both. Feb would be better for this cycle. June could still get you off waitlists this cycle though, and would give you more time to max out your potential. You are right that a 3.4 hurts your apps to T30s (because it is below the median) and that not having it count towards rankings is an advantage for you.

T30s like you mentioned are pretty good schools for applicants from those regions and who are comfortable practicing in those regions long term. American law schools are very regional, so at the T30 level you should expect to practice in the markets the school feeds into. T30s are not worth sticker price, (would probably cost 200k+), but at the schools you are at or above the LSAT median you have a pretty good chance at money if admitted.

Basically, you have good chances at the schools with medians of 163 or below and not so good chances at schools with medians of 164+.With your current numbers, you may want to consider SMU and UH. They are both ranked a little lower, but they greatly outperform many T1s becasue they are the best school in their major market (Houston/Dallas)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 am

adeel wrote: which law schools in the top 40 offer scholarships to international students. I can not afford a JD unless more than 50% of my education is financed.

It is highly unlikely that you'll get a significant scholarship from any top 40 law school with an LSAT score of 163 - you'll be lucky to get any kind of merit aid with that score.
adeel wrote: In fact I want to avoid the arduous work and pressure associated with LSAT.

This is a much bigger problem. If you think that the LSAT involves arduous work and pressure, you won't manage law school. At my top 30 school, there were students regularly putting in 12 hour days back in September. The legal industry is a rigorous field, lawyers here often put in 80 hours of work in a week, and rarely less than 50 hours. Law school is tough, and if you don't put in full days every day, you will not manage.
adeel wrote:I have already applied to Washington and Lee, Emory, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Georgia and I am thinking between Boston College and University.

Your chance of getting into some of these schools, such as Boston University, is low, but you have a better chance at others. I don't see you getting a scholarship at any of them. There are all fine schools and worth attending, but not necessarily at full price (I'll let someone else make that argument). However, you have to realize these are all regional schools, and you will find it difficult to get a job anywhere other than those schools' local target market (e.g. if you go to Wisconsin, it will be difficult to find a job anywhere other than in Wisconsin)

adeel

Postby adeel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 am

thank you very much for such a detailed answer. Yes, I guess I am looking at a retake then, but in October so that I have ample time to improve myself. You have covered a lot many aspects I didn't know about. Thank you.

Return to “What are my chances?”