What are my odds?? Redux: (176, 3.36) [LSDAS Reality Check]

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StillIll

What are my odds?? Redux: (176, 3.36) [LSDAS Reality Check]

Postby StillIll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Friends,

I have since learned that my LSDAS GPA will not only include my Transfer GPA, but also grades I recieved in classes I have since retaken and improved. I had about 3 rags-to-riches Cs to As in my transcript, so I did a calculation and with all things considered my GPA is (likely) at a lowly 3.36. LSAT still 176.

What are my (revised) chances? Where should I apply? What should I expect? I am taking 16 credits this last semester and straight As will bring my GPA to a 3.4(something). Is it worth it to wait a whole cycle? As mentioned before, I have a signifcant upward trend in my grades. I think at this point an addendum would be a good idea.

Thanks for all the help and time spent on little ol me.
Last edited by StillIll on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Re: Killer LSAT, Middling GPA // Where to apply? (176, 3.625)

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Lol your GPA isn't that bad dude. You're competitive for ccn on down at the minimum. Youll snag several of those with money. Perhaps a shot at H. Don't write an addendum

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm

H would be something of a prayer, CCN would be in that target/slight reach zone, and on down you're probably pretty good.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm

I just came in to affirm that your LSAT is indeed killer, brah.

http://myLSN.info/gjrbfb

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Wow thanks a lot for the tips guys, I'm glad that my prospects for at least a t-10 seem so good.

There is something I completely spaced on, and I'm wondering how it will affect my prospects.

My 3.625 GPA is just my GPA for the last four years at my current school. However, before these last 4 years I took a year off, which was preceded by a year at a different university. My freshman year at a certain "party school" resulted in a 3.1 gpa which included one D (an online class I blew off). For GPA calculation on the websites like above do I need to work in that year as well? If I calculated correctly that would bring my GPA down to a 3.48. How do schools look at GPA when they make their choices?

Edit: I also have 3 Ws ><. As mentioned before, I was a late bloomer.
Last edited by StillIll on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 pm

StillIll wrote:Wow thanks a lot for the tips guys, I'm glad that my prospects for at least a t-10 seem so good.

There is something I completely spaced on, and I'm wondering how it will affect my prospects.

My 3.625 GPA is just my GPA for the last four years at my current school. However, before these last 4 years I took a year off, which was preceded by a year at a different university. My freshman year at a certain "party school" resulted in a 3.1 gpa which included one D (an online class I blew off). For GPA calculation on the websites like above do I need to work in that year as well? If I calculated correctly that would bring my GPA down to a 3.48. How do schools look at GPA when they make their choices?

OK so you DONT actually have a 3.6? That makes a big difference. Get your LSDAS GPA and come back. With a 3.48 you are still solid for CCN on down but will probably hit some wait lists and won't get as much money.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
StillIll wrote:Wow thanks a lot for the tips guys, I'm glad that my prospects for at least a t-10 seem so good.

OK so you DONT actually have a 3.6? That makes a big difference. Get your LSDAS GPA and come back. With a 3.48 you are still solid for CCN on down but will probably hit some wait lists and won't get as much money.

Fair enough. I honestly had completely forgotten about the transfer year when I wrote the first message. Its too bad. Curse my lack of foresight

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Even with a 176/3.48, you still have a great chance at Columbia and NYU. Your chance of acceptance is over 70% for Columbia and 95% for NYU. You won't get any money from Columbia, but NYU will probably throw at least $40-50k your way. Enjoy.

StillIll

Re: What are my odds?? Redux: (176, 3.36) [LSDAS Reality Check]

Postby StillIll » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Updated info in the OP friends. Didn't do my due dilligence with respect to LSDAS GPA before making this thread. So i'm sorry for that, and any additional (and now accurate) help would be very much appreciated.

Ti Malice

Re: What are my odds?? Redux: (176, 3.36) [LSDAS Reality Check]

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:27 pm

You will still get T14 acceptances. Your 176 is an especially hot commodity this cycle, with apps down so much and high-scorers overrepresented in that decline. You might even get a T6 acceptance (NYU, and maybe even Columbia). I hesitate to say how much applying this late would reduce your chances, because this is not a normal cycle. It might hurt your chances a little, but I think not nearly as much as it would have two or three years ago. The sparse data does suggest, however, that crossing the 3.4 threshold has made a significant difference in past cycles. How much that applies to the current cycle is anyone's guess.

I would say you have a ~65% chance at NYU and probably a ~45% chance at Columbia (+/- 10% in both cases, as there just isn't much data to go on). You should be in at M, V, and probably P with ED apps, and maybe in without, provided that you write convincing "Why X?" essays. Definitely in at GULC, and likely in at Cornell (with extra essay).

Return to “What are my chances?”