2.95 in hard major, 161, 164.. where can i go?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wert3813

Re: 2.95 in hard major, 161, 164.. where can i go?

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 am

izha wrote:There are plenty of people here with 3.8-4.0 GPA in your "hard" major. If you are as bright as you say you are, than you just a troll as one should be really stupid to brag about your LSAT scores, GPA, and "being a high school football ref".

i cant argue that, but the people with the high engineering GPAs certainly dont go to law school, and from what i hear i have quite a head start for patent law.. and idk if its true or not, but my guidance counselor says some schools do in fact take into account that engineering is much harder (and some schools actually prefer them).. i feel in the longterm, id like being in law much better than not. but i can make good money right out of school, so im at a very large crossroads, so im just trying to get opinions from people without them acting like pompous assholes

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Some of your softs are interesting, but unfortunately without a higher lsat score schools worth going to aren't gonna care about them

very nice, finally some constructive non-douchebag-y criticism.. i understand that the top schools wouldnt look twice at me, but if the lower ones do and they see my softs or whatever, might i get money? idk how it works with law schools, but dare i ask do i have a full ride anywhere? and assuming i do go to a very weak school, im sure it would be much easier to finish at the top of the class compared to like a harvard? would this be better off than waiting and trying to get into a much higher school with a year of employment ad a higher lsat?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 am

Im pretty sure you are a very dedicated troll. In case you arent,

Reasons why posters are being harsh:
1. Bragging about your SAT score. No one cares.
2. Saying you could do better if you tried. You sound like a douche
3. Talking shit about liberal arts majors. Many of us are liberal arts majors
twostep08 wrote: i dont study for this for the same reason i wouldnt study my 5th grade multiplication tables if i had to aswer 100 questions in a minute- i know all the answers already, its just gonna come down to whether or not i can go through them quick enough (which will vary from day to day)

Most people could do way better on the LSAT if it wasnt timed. The timing is one of the biggest factors why people find it difficult.

Still, anyone who diags at a 160+ is capable of finishing the test comfortably with practice. You would be an idiot to go to law school without maxing out your LSAT potential.

wert3813 wrote:
hohenheim wrote:flame for sure

The only way I know for sure in his second post he stated his undergrad advisor's advice and it was spot on.

:lol: :lol:

twostep08

Postby twostep08 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 am

Nova wrote:Im pretty sure you are a very dedicated troll. In case you arent,

lol i am not a "troll". i am also not a big internet guy, so im not even confident i know what that means
1. did that so you guys dont think that im claiming i can do better with no basis
2. it is true. i slacked big time cuz I can get straight Bs with literally 0 effort, but id practically have to kill myself to get As.. and with my major, im fairly confident ill be able to find a job right of college (to be fair, on my resume, i only list my major GPA- truthfully at 3.3)
3. i dont mean to talk shit, but denying the difference in difficulty is foolish. there are certainly people that can make something of themselves in liberal arts- and i can tell with next to no background if youre gameplan has been getting into a top law school all along, then liberal arts are 100% the way to go.. otherwise, alot of people get F'ed taking liberal arts- ive seen it happen to too many of my friends

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 am

twostep08 wrote:OP here... you guys are all very harsh and snobbish lol. and i just checked my detailed lsat answer analysis or whatever.. literally on each section i was perfect or 1 wrong for the first 75% of each, and then ended like 2 for 5 on each section (and went almost 0-for on the last logic game).. are the harder questions in each section traditionally the last ones, or are they randomly scattered in? cuz honestly i kept losing focus and i was rereading the early questions like 3 times each; if the later ones are in fact the harder ones, i would feel much better.. otherwise if my short attention span is the only thing holding me back (possibly inflicted on myself with my 2 hours of sleep), then really what more can i study? i understand every type of question and i can handle them all, its just im very easily distracted.. like after each question id check the time and calculate if i was going at a reasonable pace (which obviously kills like 2 valuable minutes on each section).. so to put it simply, i dont study for this for the same reason i wouldnt study my 5th grade multiplication tables if i had to aswer 100 questions in a minute- i know all the answers already, its just gonna come down to whether or not i can go through them quick enough (which will vary from day to day)

hopefully that clears up that im not a complete idiot.. would it be advisable to try to go to like a state school and pay 20K, reach and go to a better school and pay 30-40K, or go to a bottom of the barrel and hope for a scholarship (and how realistic is a scholarship for me?)

to recap my stats:
-2.95 GPA (3.25ish in my major), its just brought down by the orgo's and anatomy's and multivariable caluluses - basically the weedout classes of each respective department (unfortunately, i have to take literally all of them)
-major in biomedical engineering, concentration in biomaterials, minor in materials science
-161 and 164 LSAT score
-i worked as an innercity high school math tutor my freshman year (it turned out that i worked for a convicted felon, and i singlehandedly put a stop to him scamming kids and families- this was like my first major exposure to the legal sytem; i feel i could write a bangin essay about that)
-i currently am a certified high school football ref (not sure if this is big or not or i could incorporate it into my essay, but i know alot of professional refs are also lawyers and theres obv a conenction with rules of a sport to the legal system)
-i am a department supervisor for my on-campus job
-i did cutting-edge research with fuel cells my sophomore year (it wasnt anything amazing, but i could make it sound very good)
-my senior project deals with lengthening the lifespan of human skin working at a local hospital (and is potentially going to yield a patentable design, along with a published scientific journal article)
- no summer internship because i changed majors 3 times, so i was left playing catchup over the summer (im graduating with over 160 credits); also this forced me to take some semesters of 20 credits..

- my recs are from the my boss who ive worked for for 3 years, and the engineering dean (who ive taken a class with and serves as my advisor).. theyre confidential, but im assuming they will be at least "good" with the potential to be amazing

with all that considered, i certainly dont look like as terrible of an applicant as you guys are making me out to be? anything youre seeing in there thats worthy of an addendum?

The fact that you have too short of an attention span for a 4 hour test is perhaps more troubling in regard to your possibility of future law school success than anything else you've written.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 am

twostep08 wrote:
izha wrote:There are plenty of people here with 3.8-4.0 GPA in your "hard" major. If you are as bright as you say you are, than you just a troll as one should be really stupid to brag about your LSAT scores, GPA, and "being a high school football ref".

i cant argue that, but the people with the high engineering GPAs certainly dont go to law school, and from what i hear i have quite a head start for patent law.. and idk if its true or not, but my guidance counselor says some schools do in fact take into account that engineering is much harder (and some schools actually prefer them).. i feel in the longterm, id like being in law much better than not. but i can make good money right out of school, so im at a very large crossroads, so im just trying to get opinions from people without them acting like pompous assholes

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Some of your softs are interesting, but unfortunately without a higher lsat score schools worth going to aren't gonna care about them

very nice, finally some constructive non-douchebag-y criticism.. i understand that the top schools wouldnt look twice at me, but if the lower ones do and they see my softs or whatever, might i get money? idk how it works with law schools, but dare i ask do i have a full ride anywhere? and assuming i do go to a very weak school, im sure it would be much easier to finish at the top of the class compared to like a harvard? would this be better off than waiting and trying to get into a much higher school with a year of employment ad a higher lsat?

You won't get much money at anywhere except shit schools unless you hit the 170s. Generally people with your GPA are better off killing the LSAT and going to the highest ranked school possible - assuming you understand the ramifications of paying sticker or near sticker and you're willing to pay the price.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 am

twostep08 wrote:lol i am not a "troll". i am also not a big internet guy, so im not even confident i know what that means
1. did that so you guys dont think that im claiming i can do better with no basis
2. it is true. i slacked big time cuz I can get straight Bs with literally 0 effort, but id practically have to kill myself to get As.. and with my major, im fairly confident ill be able to find a job right of college (to be fair, on my resume, i only list my major GPA- truthfully at 3.3)
3. i dont mean to talk shit, but denying the difference in difficulty is foolish. there are certainly people that can make something of themselves in liberal arts- and i can tell with next to no background if youre gameplan has been getting into a top law school all along, then liberal arts are 100% the way to go.. otherwise, alot of people get F'ed taking liberal arts- ive seen it happen to too many of my friends

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response

2. Im talking about the LSAT.
3. Your gpa is below every first tier's 25th percentile. Debating the merits of majors is irrelevant. No one cares your major was difficult. You are a burden to GPA medians everywhere. You need to overcome that with a strong LSAT. Your LSAT is currently strong for schools ranked about 30 and below.

You should retake in June.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 am

Nova wrote:
twostep08 wrote:lol i am not a "troll". i am also not a big internet guy, so im not even confident i know what that means

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response

2. Im talking about the LSAT.
3. Your gpa is below every first tier's 25th percentile. Debating the merits of majors is irrelevant. It no one cares your major was difficult. You are a burden to GPA medians everywhere. You need to overcome that with a strong LSAT. Your LSAT is currently strong for schools ranked about 30 and below.

You should retake in June.

He couldn't be bothered to study for the LSAT, he shouldn't go to law school since he would likely finish bottom 3rd with no better job prospects than now but a ton more debt. If a person can't be bothered to spend a few hours a week for a month or two studying for a test he isn't going to put in the time it takes to get good results in law school or make review/journals. He should get an engineering job.

izha

Postby izha » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 am

twostep08 wrote:
Nova wrote:Im pretty sure you are a very dedicated troll. In case you arent,

lol i am not a "troll". i am also not a big internet guy, so im not even confident i know what that means

All your softs are shit of course, but I believe you still have a great chance. Just put something really impressive in PS. Let's say "My cock is 10" long", then all that nonsense about being a really bright kid, and at the end of PS just emphasize important stuff "My cock is 10" long, while placid".

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 am

wert3813 wrote:
hohenheim wrote:flame for sure

The only way I know for sure in his second post he stated his undergrad advisor's advice and it was spot on.

Great catch. :lol:

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Must... refrain... from making fun of OP.............................. but so hard to do...........

I haven't decided yet whether this is the most dedicated flame or the most stubborn OP of all time.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 am

izha wrote:
twostep08 wrote:im beginning to be a little discouraged on even going to law school with what i hear about the postgrad employment .. anyways, the GPA is low because i'm a biomedical engineering major (with a minor in materials science & engineering)- i could get a 4.0 in political science with my eyes closed, so i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and still beat my first score and got a 164 on 2 hours of sleep, go figure.

anyways, i was thinking of just applying to UCONN, my state school which i figured will be the best value. but like i said, ive heard unless you go to a top school, employment is very difficult. also, i would kind of like to test the job market in my BME field as well (and ive heard i cant work at all while in law school?)

ive worked all throughout my undergrad.. i havent had any amazing internships, but ive done some lab research, in addition to being a high school football ref, and a supervisor in my on-campus job.. also how much do schools take into account that i took the lsat's twice? i thought i was teetering on whether or not id get into uconn before, but now i feel pretty safe with my new lsat scores. also, any other ideas where i should throw my hat into? lastly, i havent applied yet- i do have my letters of rec tho- how much does when i apply impact my chances

There are plenty of people here with 3.8-4.0 GPA in your "hard" major. If you are as bright as you say you are, than you just a troll as one should be really stupid to brag about your LSAT scores, GPA, and "being a high school football ref".

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 am

TripTrip wrote:
twostep08 wrote:i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and got a 164.

Don't go to law school.

This.

P.S. No one cares about your SAT scores.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am

PickMe! wrote:
This.

Lies. It's always nice to know that a near perfect SAT score correlates to a 164 on the LSAT.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

PickMe! wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
twostep08 wrote:i hope schools take into account the differences in majors. on the lsat's i didn't study at all the first time (last year, when i wasnt sure about law school) apart from taking a proctored practice test a few weeks prior. i got a 161, so decided to take it again and really try for a better score. the second time i met this girl a little before the test, so i literally didnt study at all and got a 164.

Don't go to law school.

This.

+1. Also, at least in my experience, a near perfect SAT is much easier to achieve than a near perfect LSAT, and neither really correlates to doing well in law school. Also, capitalization is cool.

boblawblog

Postby boblawblog » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

have you considered applying to Rutgers?

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:30 pm

twostep08 wrote:i copied this from below as it probably makes more sense up here- heres my stats
-2.95 GPA (3.25ish in my major), its just brought down by the orgo's and anatomy's and multivariable caluluses - basically the weedout classes of each respective department (unfortunately, i have to take literally all of them)
-major in biomedical engineering, concentration in biomaterials, minor in materials science
-161 and 164 LSAT score
-i worked as an innercity high school math tutor my freshman year (it turned out that i worked for a convicted felon, and i singlehandedly put a stop to him scamming kids and families- this was like my first major exposure to the legal sytem; i feel i could write a bangin essay about that)
-i currently am a certified high school football ref (not sure if this is big or not or i could incorporate it into my essay, but i know alot of professional refs are also lawyers and theres obv a conenction with rules of a sport to the legal system)
-i am a department supervisor for my on-campus job
-i did cutting-edge research with fuel cells my sophomore year (it wasnt anything amazing, but i could make it sound very good)
-my senior project deals with lengthening the lifespan of human skin working at a local hospital (and is potentially going to yield a patentable design, along with a published scientific journal article)
- no summer internship because i changed majors 3 times, so i was left playing catchup over the summer (im graduating with over 160 credits); also this forced me to take some semesters of 20 credits..

Bro don't listen to these haters. You have great extracurrics and softs. If you can make that fuel cell research look extra amazing and really emphasize your high school ref certification, it will more than make up that for GPA. Just write an LSAT addendum indicating that you didn't study as much as other test takers who scored similarly. Schools will definitely understand competing priorities. Good Luck!

linquest

Postby linquest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 pm

wert3813 wrote:get a heavily stipulated scholarship at Northeastern

Minor point. Northeastern probably has the least scholarship stipulations of any law school considering no rank/GPA

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 am

mr.hands wrote:No one is impressed by what you think you're capable of. "Could've gotten a 4.0 if I did PS" and "170+ if I did any studying" doesn't mean anything. Your numbers are terrible

Don't go to any law school with those numbers.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 am

PickMe! wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Don't go to law school.

This.

Berkeley says they will check out your SAT scores under some specific circumstance, FWIW

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 am

bbsg wrote:
PickMe! wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Don't go to law school.

This.

Berkeley says they will check out your SAT scores under some specific circumstance, FWIW

Yes... to verify you have a history of problematic standardized tests. If your SAT is high and your LSAT low, you're out of luck.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am

OP, I am not trying to be rude or a jerk when I say this so please don't take it as an insult, but you need to grow up before trying for law school. The fact that you aren't willing to study for the LSAT strikes me as a sign of immaturity. That isn't an insult, but you need to take law school seriously and the LSAT is part of that. If you try to go before you are ready you could end up really regretting it one day.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 am

twostep08 wrote:i had this meeting with my advisor a few weeks before the exam. and she told me that it may be a big waste to waste my degree and go to a mediocre law school. she said that my best bet was to wait a year and see if law school was in fact what i wanted, and that if i could get a 161 ice cold that i should go all out for 170+ to get into a top school.
Sounds like an exceptional advisor
twostep08 wrote:otherwise, if i cant get a job out of like a uconn law school, then i may not look good to engineering places if im years out of my degree
makes sense
twostep08 wrote:i figured i understood everything on the LSAT, staying focused for 4 hours would be my only downfall.
If staying focused for 4 hours is a problem, don't go into law
twostep08 wrote: also, i had alot of other stuff going on, and like i said i met this awesome girl who i was really trying to make things work with weeks before the exam
bullcrap excuse
twostep08 wrote:idk, anything in there that might be good to put in as an addendum? lol clearly schools dont like slackers, but you gotta admit a 164 with 0 studying is pretty impressive
I got significantly higher on my first practice test with no studying whatsoever. It's not impressive. Also, the school doesn't know if you put in 0 hours or 100 hours, they only know (and care) about what you got
twostep08 wrote: anyways, the GPA is low because i'm a biomedical engineering major (with a minor in materials science & engineering)
twostep08 wrote:i changed majors 3 times
Somehow, I don't buy your excuse
twostep08 wrote:i could get a 4.0 in political science with my eyes closed
but you didn't. Whether you could or couldn't is irrelevant. I could have invented facebook, but I didn't.

Your GPA is pathetic and your LSAT score is nothing to brag about. You don't seem like you are willing (and possibly capable) of doing the work and you are a whiny little bitch. Unless you have a very compelling reason for wanting to be a lawyer, don't do it.

Return to “What are my chances?”