162 / 3.99 (LSDAS GPA): UT Austin. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
heyman86us

New

162 / 3.99 (LSDAS GPA): UT Austin.

Post by heyman86us » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi,

LSAT: 155 (Oct 2012) / 162 (Dec 2012)
LSDAS GPA: 3.99
Non-URM
Texas resident

Today, I received my Dec 2012 LSAT score.

I applied for Early Decision admission to the University of Texas School of Law. And, I am held for the regular decision after the initial review with my Oct 2012 LSAT score.

I want to know what are my chances of getting admitted now since I got a higher score from Dec 2012 LSAT.

Thank you,

Nova

Platinum

Re: 162 / 3.99 (LSDAS GPA): UT Austin.

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Congrats on the improvment.

The numbers on LSN dont look good. But the ED plus residency should help, of course. I would guess you have about a 20% shot http://myLSN.info/bnqsih

Youre likely looking at scholarships from S/H/B, though.

Consider retaking again in Feb/June. A June retake got another texas resident off the waitlist late last year. If you score median (167), they will roll out the red carpet for you and give you a scholarship.

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Nova wrote:Congrats on the improvment.

The numbers on LSN dont look good. But the ED plus residency should help, of course. I would guess you have about a 20% shot http://myLSN.info/bnqsih

Youre likely looking at scholarships from S/H/B, though.

Consider retaking again in Feb/June. A June retake got another texas resident off the waitlist late last year. If you score median (167), they will roll out the red carpet for you and give you a scholarship.

Thanks, Nova.

But the fact that the admissions committee decided to hold my application file even though my Oct 2012 LSAT (155) was much below than their range tells that they like something in my application file? Don't you think so?

In fact, I was surprised after being held at the University of Texas School of Law because I thought they would deny me right away.

Thank you,

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:05 pm

heyman86us wrote:But the fact that the admissions committee decided to hold my application file even though my Oct 2012 LSAT (155) was much below than their range tells that they like something in my application file? Don't you think so?
To say the least, residency + that amazing GPA make you a valuable candidate.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 pm

No. It's standard procedure to hold an application until the new LSAT score arrives. You will, at best, get a WL.

I would consider re-taking. If you can bump your score up even 3-4 more points you become competitive at most T14 schools from Chicago on down, and you will have a 70-80% chance at Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 am

Doorkeeper wrote:No. It's standard procedure to hold an application until the new LSAT score arrives. You will, at best, get a WL.

I would consider re-taking. If you can bump your score up even 3-4 more points you become competitive at most T14 schools from Chicago on down, and you will have a 70-80% chance at Texas.
Thanks Nova & Doorkeeper,

I am not an URM as I stated earlier. But, I think I am a non-traditional applicant; not because of my age.

I submitted my ED application without stating that I would be taking Dec 2012 LSAT since I was not planning to take it at that time.

In fact, I contacted the admissions committee after receiving my Oct 2012 LSAT score to change my Early Decision application to RD application since I am planning to retake. But, they told me that they could not change my application to RD at that time. I understood them and moved on since I knew that they were in the middle of reviewing applications.
Thus, I strongly believe that the admissions committee of the UT Law reviewed my application file and made a decision, which is "hold" for the reconsideration with the regular decision.

The other reason that I asked whether you guys think that the admissions committee might liked something from my application file so they decided to "hold" my file despite of my Oct 2012 LSAT is that I got admitted to SMU in December.
I read one TLSer stated that SMU is a LSAT school. Also, the fact that I got into SMU relatively early with my Oct 2012 LSAT score, which is below than their 25th percentile makes me to think that they liked something that I believe is "not traditional" from my file.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 am

heyman86us wrote:I submitted my ED application without stating that I would be taking Dec 2012 LSAT since I was not planning to take it at that time.

In fact, I contacted the admissions committee after receiving my Oct 2012 LSAT score to change my Early Decision application to RD application since I am planning to retake. But, they told me that they could not change my application to RD at that time. I understood them and moved on since I knew that they were in the middle of reviewing applications.
Thus, I strongly believe that the admissions committee of the UT Law reviewed my application file and made a decision, which is "hold" for the reconsideration with the regular decision.
I wouldn't read too far into this until you get a notification of what Texas wants to do with your application. Law schools do not want to release any decisions (or indicate any decisions) until their specific time of choosing. Just because they didn't switch you from ED to RD does not indicate that you have been held.
heyman86us wrote:The other reason that I asked whether you guys think that the admissions committee might liked something from my application file so they decided to "hold" my file despite of my Oct 2012 LSAT is that I got admitted to SMU in December.
I read one TLSer stated that SMU is a LSAT school. Also, the fact that I got into SMU relatively early with my Oct 2012 LSAT score, which is below than their 25th percentile makes me to think that they liked something that I believe is "not traditional" from my file.
Every law school is different in how they go about judging applicants. Your score even before the October 2012 was enough to get you into SMU due to your high GPA, so it doesn't mean that SMU read anything special into your application that Texas might also read into your application.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 am

SMU likes LSAT scores, but your GPA was good enough for admission. I wouldn't count on a ton of money though, since they have historically preferred high LSAT to GPA. But they've also changed their admission policies this year too, so they could try and buy your GPA.

SMU without decent money ($20K /year or more) isn't really worth it.

heyman86us

New

Post by heyman86us » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 am

Doorkeeper wrote: I wouldn't read too far into this until you get a notification of what Texas wants to do with your application. Law schools do not want to release any decisions (or indicate any decisions) until their specific time of choosing. Just because they didn't switch you from ED to RD does not indicate that you have been held.
Thanks Doorkeeper & kalvano for the responses.

I did receive an e-mail in December from the University of Texas School of Law notifying me that after the initial review of my application, the Admissions Committee has decided to hold my file for additional consideration with the general applicant pool.

I received the notification.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:50 am

Doorkeeper wrote:I would consider re-taking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”