171/3.49 UVA or bust

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
willwash

171/3.49 UVA or bust

Postby willwash » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm

In-state, will be applying ED and will have 9 years naval service as an officer--2 combat deployments and roughly a thousand flight hours as a flight officer. 3.49 has a slight upward trend plus an outlier semester of 2.7 my first semester at a new, more competitive school. Also waited tables in college to support pregnant wife my senior year.

If I don't get UVA or better I'm not going to LS.

Retake or am I good?

Re: 171/3.49 UVA or bust

Postby 20141023 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm

You're definitely good for an ED to UVA, but this being said you have a decent shot at Penn or NYU (around 40-50%). These numbers only increase because being in the military is a "plus" soft to have in the admissions process.

Make sure to write a GPA addendum explaining your work situation during UG.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm assuming that you are 100% GI Bill? That being the case EDing to UVA is not a bad deal. You will be in-state regardless - all veterans receive in-state tuition at Virginia public colleges - and tuition and cost of living will be covered. The school also occasionally has some small scholarships for vets. We have a GREAT veteran student body here. If you're interested in some information on UVA and what it's like being a married non-trad student in C'ville send me a PM.

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 am

Doorkeeper wrote:You're definitely good for an ED to UVA, but this being said you have a decent shot at Penn or NYU (around 40-50%). These numbers only increase because being in the military is a "plus" soft to have in the admissions process.

I've actually thought about reaching a little higher--particularly I'm interested in CCN, but I'm not risking a retake if I'm already safe at UVA with 171. However, if UVA is a sure-enough thing applying RD with my numbers and softs then I might be willing to use my ED to reach at Columbia. I'd hate to do that though and then not get in at either when I would have def gotten UVA with an ED app.

UVAIce, I will have 100% GI Bill coverage. With my GPA I'm much more concerned with the admissions boost given to VA residents than the tuition ramifications.

Thoughts?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 am

willwash wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:You're definitely good for an ED to UVA, but this being said you have a decent shot at Penn or NYU (around 40-50%). These numbers only increase because being in the military is a "plus" soft to have in the admissions process.

I've actually thought about reaching a little higher--particularly I'm interested in CCN, but I'm not risking a retake if I'm already safe at UVA with 171. However, if UVA is a sure-enough thing applying RD with my numbers and softs then I might be willing to use my ED to reach at Columbia. I'd hate to do that though and then not get in at either when I would have def gotten UVA with an ED app.

UVAIce, I will have 100% GI Bill coverage. With my GPA I'm much more concerned with the admissions boost given to VA residents than the tuition ramifications.

Thoughts?

Based on the very limited sample size from last cycle with your numbers, you have a shot at NYU and Chicago. I wouldn't waste too much sleep on Columbia because your LSAT is probably not high enough to counteract your GPA for them. This being said, I do not know if your military status is enough to counteract this deficit for them. If you wanted to ED somewhere in CCN and have a good shot, I would choose between Chicago and NYU. If you do want to super reach, then ED to Columbia and then apply to CCN on down.

Return to “What are my chances?”