3.56/166 in Cali Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mcs268

Bronze

3.56/166 in Cali

Post by mcs268 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Finally got my LSAT score today. 166, with 3.56 LSAC GPA. Wondering what my chances are at Cali schools. My reaches I guess would be UCLA and USC. Should I even try Berkeley? Am I pretty much accepted to Loyola with $$? Basically Loyola is the "lowest ranked" school I'm willing to dip into.

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: 3.56/166 in Cali

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

In and Hastings and Davis. Probably out at UCLA and USC but with declining apps maybe you've got a shot. Boalt is out.

Do you want to work in California? You really should get a higher score and aim for UCLA or USC with money

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Retaking is in the back of my mind, but this was my 1st retake and I honestly got pretty lucky with the 166 (i know i am so close to a 168 median at UCLA but I don't think i can put myself through all this stress again). I'm going to see how i like my options w/ $$ coming out of this cycle before I decide.

And yeah I do want to work in Cali, I'm OOS so I need to go to law school there.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 pm

mcs268 wrote:
And yeah I do want to work in Cali, I'm OOS so I need to go to law school there.
I don't really recommend any CA school lower than USC. Employers here are crazy about hiring locals. I came OOS to Hastings and did well (top 15%) but still don't have a job. My origins were thoroughly probed at every OCI.

If you can do Loyola or USD for free, then maybe. Don't fall for Davis or Hastings at sticker, their placement is little better than Loyola/USD in this economy.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 pm

You're going to be putting yourself through a lot more stress by going to Loyola. Good luck, if you get a full ride or close to it then I guess its worth it. You only need a couple more points and your situation improves dramatically

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
mcs268 wrote:
I don't really recommend any CA school lower than USC. Employers here are crazy about hiring locals. I came OOS to Hastings and did well (top 15%) but still don't have a job. My origins were thoroughly probed at every OCI.

If you can do Loyola or USD for free, then maybe. Don't fall for Davis or Hastings at sticker, their placement is little better than Loyola/USD in this economy.
that's interesting. i have worked in LA before for two summers, do you think that would help or not? regardless its unfair they have a preference since you obviously still have residency..

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm

It might help, but who knows? I think the paranoia is that people will want to leave Calif once they pay off loans but before settling down with a family. Calif is kinda weird, theres like this whole landed gentry thing where long term residents have houses worth 500k+ even though they were acquired for less than 100k in the 80s-90s.

It's really hard to move here, earn enough and save enough to afford living in a nice family town. And so employers dont want to risk you bolting in year 4 for cheaper pastures. Remember there are probably 20+ qualified applicants for every job, so employers can afford to reject you for any small risk or deficiency.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 am

If you can't endure the stress of LSAT prep then how are you going to survive a career as a lawyer? Or really just the big boy world in general? Some people have to stress out about things like putting food on the table or a roof over their heads. The LSAT ain't nothing compared to real life problems.

Keep in mind that every school in CA ranked below Berkeley has some rough employment outcomes for their grads. At USC/UCLA I would feel pretty comfortable in the top third but beyond that wtf are you going to do? Especially if you have to pay their crazy high tuition.

I would think long and hard about whether CA is the best place to go to school/live/practice law. If you want to be there then retake the LSAT until you get a high enough scholarship to attend USC/UCLA with at least a half ride.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 am

I have to agree with Big Zuck. CA is not an easy place to move and make a career.

If you are at all flexible, you might do better in another region. Your numbers are good enough to get into some decent schools in other areas.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am

BigZuck wrote:If you can't endure the stress of LSAT prep then how are you going to survive a career as a lawyer? Or really just the big boy world in general? Some people have to stress out about things like putting food on the table or a roof over their heads. The LSAT ain't nothing compared to real life problems.

Keep in mind that every school in CA ranked below Berkeley has some rough employment outcomes for their grads. At USC/UCLA I would feel pretty comfortable in the top third but beyond that wtf are you going to do? Especially if you have to pay their crazy high tuition.

I would think long and hard about whether CA is the best place to go to school/live/practice law. If you want to be there then retake the LSAT until you get a high enough scholarship to attend USC/UCLA with at least a half ride.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”