3.76/160

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Ok, thanks. That being said, do you think it's worth it to submit a few applications now? I know I'm not a URM or anything but I do have very strong softs and excellent LORs. I think I might potentially have a chance at a few of the schools I'd be comfortable going to.

Any school that you get into now will be inherently settling compared to the schools you could get into with a 6-7 point LSAT bump. In all honesty, if you were PTing at a much higher score and you're willing to work on your anxiety issues, I would not even apply this cycle. You do have better than average softs, and I'm sure you have good LORs, but there's only so much they can overcome in the test score department. You've been out of school and it sounds like you've held good jobs, what's one more year when you can drastically benefit your future during that time?



Yeah, that's true. Do you think it will make that much of a difference in life if I go to a lower ranked school and do really well vs. going to a higher ranked school next year?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Yeah, that's true. Do you think it will make that much of a difference in life if I go to a lower ranked school and do really well vs. going to a higher ranked school next year?

There is no guarantee that you will do "really well" at a lower ranked school. Why gamble $200,000 on the belief that you can be in the top 20-30%? The schools that you would currently be accepted to literally leave you with a 70-80% chance of not getting type of jobs that law students want. Are you willing to gamble your career that you will be one of the lucky few in the top 20% when this can all be avoided by waiting a year and retaking the LSAT to get into a better school?

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Yeah, that's true. Do you think it will make that much of a difference in life if I go to a lower ranked school and do really well vs. going to a higher ranked school next year?

There is no guarantee that you will do "really well" at a lower ranked school. Why gamble $200,000 on the belief that you can be in the top 20-30%? The schools that you would currently be accepted to literally leave you with a 70-80% chance of not getting type of jobs that law students want. Are you willing to gamble your career that you will be one of the lucky few in the top 20% when this can all be avoided by waiting a year and retaking the LSAT to get into a better school?


Ok, thanks for the advice.

So should I apply now (blanket 19-30) and a few safeties and see if I can get in? Or should I retake in February/June and apply next cycle? Well I'm going to retake anyways, but I"m not sure if I should even bother seeing if I can get in anywhere this cycle. Thoughts?

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: 3.76/160

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 am

Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.


I already have my personal statement done and most of my apps filled out. I have fee waivers at half of them. That's why I'm wondering if I should just click submit, sign up for June, and reapply if necessary.

And yes, I have tried adderall. Didn't work for me on a practice test.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: 3.76/160

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.


I already have my personal statement done and most of my apps filled out. I have fee waivers at half of them. That's why I'm wondering if I should just click submit, sign up for June, and reapply if necessary.

And yes, I have tried adderall. Didn't work for me on a practice test.

I would try it a few more times. Depending on your reaction to it, it could make your test anxiety go away.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.


I already have my personal statement done and most of my apps filled out. I have fee waivers at half of them. That's why I'm wondering if I should just click submit, sign up for June, and reapply if necessary. .

I know of people who do this and they are often tempted to just attend instead of going through the hassle of reapplying. No matter what you're results are you are essentially throwing away tons of $$$ and improved employment prospects by not retaking

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.


I already have my personal statement done and most of my apps filled out. I have fee waivers at half of them. That's why I'm wondering if I should just click submit, sign up for June, and reapply if necessary. .

I know of people who do this and they are often tempted to just attend instead of going through the hassle of reapplying. No matter what you're results are you are essentially throwing away tons of $$$ and improved employment prospects by not retaking


How would I be throwing away improved employment prospects if I do get into one of those schools?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Just retake. Applying will be a waste of effort at this point.

Also have you tried the adderall? I hear its great.


I already have my personal statement done and most of my apps filled out. I have fee waivers at half of them. That's why I'm wondering if I should just click submit, sign up for June, and reapply if necessary. .

I know of people who do this and they are often tempted to just attend instead of going through the hassle of reapplying. No matter what you're results are you are essentially throwing away tons of $$$ and improved employment prospects by not retaking


How would I be throwing away improved employment prospects if I do get into one of those schools?

A few more points makes you competitive for UCLA/USC and beyond that the T14

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Ok. Well I missed a good number of questions on games this time and I tend to be good at games so even if I don't improve significantly on the rest, I think I could at least get that up and get a few more points. Idk if I should take February or June. On the one hand, February would be better because it's still fresh in my mind, but on the other hand, June would give me more time to study.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I think you can pull of February if you're already PTing in the 170s. Good luck man!!!

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: 3.76/160

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I think you can pull of February if you're already PTing in the 170s. Good luck man!!!


Thanks!

Just one last question--would it be ok to apply now, to tell them I'm taking February, and to see what happens? Worst case I reapply next year. I have some fee waivers at schools I'd actually consider going to.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest