Low statistics, good background

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ob-la-di-ob-la-da

Low statistics, good background

Postby Ob-la-di-ob-la-da » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello,

I've been conflicted recently about my chances of acceptance at some of the higher ranked law schools. I got a 165 on my LSAT and carry a 3.75 GPA. Looking at the statistics I know that these aren't going to get me into a T10 school but I have some other factors going into my application and I wonder how they will affect me in the admissions process.

I went into a residential undergraduate college at the age of 14 and am now graduating at the age of 18, I hope that my age will be a draw to law schools but I don't know if it will be enough to offset my mediocre statistics. I was active on my undergraduate campus as the Student Government President, Debate Team Captain, and Fencing Captain. I have strong letters of recommendation with professors who I have worked closely with during my 4 years of undergrad. In addition I'm a first generation graduate from a low income family and would be a diverse student.

Will these things be enough to help me reach up to some of the higher schools or is Penn Law nothing but a pipe dream?

Thanks!

Chardee_MacDennis

Re: Low statistics, good background

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Ob-la-di-ob-la-da wrote:Hello,

I've been conflicted recently about my chances of acceptance at some of the higher ranked law schools. I got a 165 on my LSAT and carry a 3.75 GPA. Looking at the statistics I know that these aren't going to get me into a T10 school but I have some other factors going into my application and I wonder how they will affect me in the admissions process.

I went into a residential undergraduate college at the age of 14 and am now graduating at the age of 18, I hope that my age will be a draw to law schools but I don't know if it will be enough to offset my mediocre statistics. I was active on my undergraduate campus as the Student Government President, Debate Team Captain, and Fencing Captain. I have strong letters of recommendation with professors who I have worked closely with during my 4 years of undergrad. In addition I'm a first generation graduate from a low income family and would be a diverse student.

Will these things be enough to help me reach up to some of the higher schools or is Penn Law nothing but a pipe dream?

Thanks!

If you're only 18, you should retake the LSAT. That is the best way to improve your chances for the top schools. You should sit out this cycle, study, and improve your score to 170+.

Those are decent softs, but won't overcome your stats.
Last edited by Chardee_MacDennis on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I know that Cornell had at least one 18-year-old in the 1L class last year and has a 19-year-old in the 1L class this year, so maybe age is something that the Cornell Adcom considers. That being said, it would probably be worthwhile for you to retake. Increasing your score by even just a few points could make a huge difference, especially when combined with your GPA and softs.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Wormfather wrote:While going to UG at a young age is impressive. Adcoms will probably chalk your grades to immaturity, speaking of which, your current age will actually be a barrier to entry, not a positive.

Take a year off and get some solid work experience, retake, hit 170+ and then many many doors open.

This.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Wormfather wrote:While going to UG at a young age is impressive. Adcoms will probably chalk your grades to immaturity, speaking of which, your current age will actually be a barrier to entry, not a positive.

Take a year off and get some solid work experience, retake, hit 170+ and then many many doors open.

This.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

This.

Also, op, what do you mean by diverse?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Gosh, I don't think going to law school at your age is a very good idea. I think employers will be skeptical of you.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Something tells me that convincing an 18 year old college graduate that he should be patient and retake is going to be difficult.

OP, are you diverse or are you URM? Important distinction.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Mother of God. Go travel, work, mature, and generally live life for a few years. Then decide if you want to go to law school. Oh, and retake.

Your age would not be a positive for admission -- law schools aren't clamoring for teenage students. Your softs would also do nothing to offset your numbers. Employers will be very skeptical of you. This is a terrible idea all around.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:42 am

You're going to law school, but you can't go to bars? I wish you the best of luck.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:02 am

wbrother wrote:You're going to law school, but you can't go to bars? I wish you the best of luck.

i see a very strong adderall/coke addiction resulting from this...if it is not already present

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:16 am

Good god. Go see the world, my child. Law school will still be there when you're appropriately aged like a fine (if very bitter) wine.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:22 am

I'm going to have to advocate retaking. I have a (slightly) lower GPA than yours but a 175 LSAT and I got into Harvard. Those extra ten points are HUGE.

I also agree that your age may hurt you, rather than help. In fact, there are people who will tell you that a 21-year old fresh out of college is too young and should get some work experience first. Depending on your undergraduate degree, working a real job for a few years may make you a really strong candidate (especially if you can bring up your LSAT) and would put you way ahead of all the other applicants in their early twenties.

In summary, a higher lsat score can get you into T10 and maybe T3, and you as a 21-year old with three years of full-time work experience > you as an 18 year old who may be viewed as immature (regardless of how mature your experiences may have made you).

Also, if by diverse you mean URM, then up the score, work a few years, and rock the Harvard admissions cycle at that point.

Good luck!

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Mother of God. Go travel, work, mature, and generally live life for a few years. Then decide if you want to go to law school. Oh, and retake.

Your age would not be a positive for admission -- law schools aren't clamoring for teenage students. Your softs would also do nothing to offset your numbers. Employers will be very skeptical of you. This is a terrible idea all around.

This.

Return to “What are my chances?”