3.4/175 (Completing apps this week)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
creed14

3.4/175 (Completing apps this week)

Postby creed14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey everyone, been lurking for a better part of the fall and found this place very helpful when compiling my list of schools to consider

Go to a non-HYP Ivy with a social science major, originally from the Midwest (Chicago). Hoping to work in Chicago or DC long-term, would love to hear what y'all have to say.

Asides from 'chancing', please let me know how much you think applying this late will effect my chances (Should i just wait until next October to apply?)

GPA: 3.40
LSAT (1 take): 175
Work experience: worked part-time throughout college and did serious internships all off-terms though I realize this is basically 0 WE

My list (please feel free to suggest schools that you believe I may have overlooked)
Columbia
UChicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Georgetown
Texas
GWU
Notre Dame
Minnesota
UIUC
Wisconsin

Thanks for the help/input!

smaug_

Re: 3.4/175 (Completing apps this week)

Postby smaug_ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

You should submit an app to NYU. Even if you're not interested in NYU it could be a good bargaining chip.

You have a good shot at getting NYU/Columbia/Chicago with some money. You'll either get good money or be YPed below CCN. Unless you have a strong interest in attending the non T-14 schools, I'd pick one or two and ignore the rest.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm

creed14 wrote:Hey everyone, been lurking for a better part of the fall and found this place very helpful when compiling my list of schools to consider

Go to a non-HYP Ivy with a social science major, originally from the Midwest (Chicago). Hoping to work in Chicago or DC long-term, would love to hear what y'all have to say.

Asides from 'chancing', please let me know how much you think applying this late will effect my chances (Should i just wait until next October to apply?)

GPA: 3.40
LSAT (1 take): 175
Work experience: worked part-time throughout college and did serious internships all off-terms though I realize this is basically 0 WE

My list (please feel free to suggest schools that you believe I may have overlooked)
Columbia
UChicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Georgetown
Texas
GWU
Notre Dame
Minnesota
UIUC
Wisconsin

(Cornell)
(NYU)

Thanks for the help/input!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

hibiki wrote:You should submit an app to NYU. Even if you're not interested in NYU it could be a good bargaining chip.

You have a good shot at getting NYU/Columbia/Chicago with some money. You'll either get good money or be YPed below CCN. Unless you have a strong interest in attending the non T-14 schools, I'd pick one or two and ignore the rest.

All of this. Applying late probably won't hurt too much this cycle. Throwing a hail mary at H isn't an awful idea either (very very small shot, but this may be a weird cycle with apps as far down as they are).

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:46 pm

If you get your apps in this week, I think your chances won't be affected too badly. Submitting in October or November would have been preferable, but you'll still beat the crowd waiting on their December LSAT scores. Also, with another precipitous decline in law school apps this year -- and among high-scorers, in particular -- the effect of submitting a little late is probably going to be pretty muted. On the other hand, I always think that work experience is a good thing.

I think the earlier reply is overoptimistic on your overall chances: http://myLSN.info/6qgmtm (I've eliminated the 2009-10 and 2010-11 cycles, which are not representative of the current more favorable environment for LS applicants). Chicago is very unlikely due to your GPA in combination with their small class size. Given that you're a moderate splitter, I doubt you would receive any real scholarship money from Columbia; as it stands, your odds of simply getting into CLS are likely less than 50%. I agree with the earlier poster that you should definitely apply to NYU, however. Your odds there are very strong overall. I wouldn't count on money from NYU either, but they might throw some at high-LSAT splitters to maintain numbers. Regardless, you should apply to NYU, even if only to use admission as a scholarship bargaining chip with other schools you would prefer to attend.

I wouldn't bother applying to anything outside of the T14. Add Cornell to your list. You're definitely going to land several T14 acceptances, barring something like major C&F issues. The odds reflected in the link above for MPV have everything to do with yield protection; these schools think someone with your numbers will likely attend somewhere else. Do some research and write some very convincing "Why M/P/V?" essays to avoid getting waitlisted. Duke favors higher GPAs, so your odds there are not as good as with most of the lower T14.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Good chances at CCN. Might snag one or two of MVP, but probably WL/YP'ed there (especially at P). Should get into all other T14's except Duke (WL) and Boalt (ding). You'll probably get some money at a couple of these places.

creed14

Postby creed14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks for the great advice y'all

just to review two things
1) there doesn't seem to be a ton of concern as to the lateness of my app correct?
and
2) you think all these higher-end schools give me equal job prospects of working in Chicago or DC? more or less equally portable to these areas?

Thank you again to all those that have dropped some knowledge

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

creed14 wrote:Thanks for the great advice y'all

1) there doesn't seem to be a ton of concern as to the lateness of my app correct?
and
2) you think all these higher-end schools give me equal job prospects of working in Chicago or DC? more or less equally portable to these areas?

Do you have ties to either city?

creed14

Postby creed14 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

and

Do you have ties to either city?

Yeah I have my nuclear family in Chicago that I would like to be able to live near post graduation, not critical to study in the area but there will come a day when I home to be supporting the fam. Working in D.C. is where my more selfish professional PI interests push me

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Looks like you have a 40% chance at Columbia and a 70% chance at NYU.

Low shot at Penn and UVA. You'll probably get waitlisted, but you'll get off at least one of their waitlists.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

creed14 wrote:Yeah I have my nuclear family in Chicago that I would like to be able to live near post graduation, not critical to study in the area but there will come a day when I home to be supporting the fam. Working in D.C. is where my more selfish professional PI interests push me

All signs point to NYU. Any reason it's not on your list?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 am

and

(1) Applying late won't impact you that much though it might make MVP more likely to WL you.

(2) I'm honestly not sure. I think, all other things being equal, I'd take Chicago over any other T14 in your shoes. (If you like the school.) But, I think it is probably more important to apply broadly and follow the money. Splitter cycles are unpredictable and there's no guarantee where your best offer will come from (or that other schools will match it).

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

HYS is out. Chicago's been going after the high GPAs too. Columbia might bite. NYU will.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I'd apply to H.

Especially since you went to an Ivy.
--LinkRemoved--

I know that's far from reliable, but it would be enough for me to throw an app that way.

YS probably can't sacrifice the GPA with their tiny class sizes so they are not gonna happen.

Return to “What are my chances?”