Did I ruin my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
capt_slow

Did I ruin my chances?

Postby capt_slow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Harvard?
Last edited by capt_slow on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Re: Did I ruin my chances?

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 am

Yeah, you ruined your chances at YHS. Unfortunately, no one cares why you ended up with your GPA.

I was the same way. Stopped attending HS after soph year... graduated at 20 with a 3.0.

T14 is still possible. Good luck on the LSAT.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 am

Some schools give a sweet boost to the military, which might mitigate your abysmal GPA. A 17x will definitely help there.

Don't sweat losing out on HYS - so do the vast majority of people

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 am

dingbat wrote:Some schools give a sweet boost to the military, which might mitigate your abysmal GPA. A 17x will definitely help there.

Don't sweat losing out on HYS - so do the vast majority of people

Abysmal seems a bit harsh for a 3.05 cumulative haha.

Anyway, your GPA isn't great obviously, but a 17X will give you a good chance at T-14 acceptances as a splitter especially a vet.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 am

Should have kept your ass at the school with the inner-city kids, huh?. :lol:

capt_slow

Postby capt_slow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for the insights guys... I appreciate it.

Happy Holidays!

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm

While Harvard is probably a pipe dream, if you get a high enough LSAT you may as well roll the dice on it and see. Who knows, maybe with an addendum, military experience and a great score they might be willing to overlook your previous mistakes.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Nova wrote:T14 is stillpossible likely if you score where you have been PTing. Good luck on the LSAT.

This assumes you are PTing in real test conditions and perform close to your average on actual test day as well.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 pm

bandenjamin wrote:While Harvard is probably a pipe dream, if you get a high enough LSAT you may as well roll the dice on it and see. Who knows, maybe with an addendum, military experience and a great score they might be willing to overlook your previous mistakes.

Don't be so defeated, OP. You will end up somewhere great. And if Harvard is going to let in any non-URMs with a really low GPA, it'll be someone like you (or someone who cures cancer/etc).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Is there any appeals process for your LSAC GPA? I mean this has to be an exception if there was one.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Is there any appeals process for your LSAC GPA? I mean this has to be an exception if there was one.

I think that GPA addenda to the individual schools serve that purpose adequately. Let the schools decide if the story is compelling enough for them to overlook the poor grades.

All you could really petition LSAC to do would be to omit the grades entirely, effectively hiding them from the schools. I think that would compromise LSAC's position as an "honest broker" between the applicants and the schools.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 pm

To be blunt, you most likely did... on the other hand write an Addendum, your chanes at YHS are prob non-existent. But at CCN and down, you have a very decent shot, especially at northeastern which likes its students a bit older and mature than the average school. If i were you, id apply to T-14'S straight down (you never know, and the couple hundred dollars might be an amazing investment), the lower of the t-14s, like cornell and georgetown will prob accept you with some money. Id also consider some great schools like vandy, notre dame, emory, BU/BC as likelies, they'd prob give you money, and from there you can always transfer into HYS, provided you get the grades.
Try leaning on the "maturity" aspect of your application, you might be granted an interview out of sheer interest, and from there anything can happen!

Best of luck, but honestly thousands of people dont make HYS yearly and they still turn out more than alright!

Return to “What are my chances?”