Should I bother T14? 165, 3.6

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tbird

Should I bother T14? 165, 3.6

Postby tbird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:24 pm

I have already applied to all of the schools that I planned on applying to. I got waivers from Michigan, Virginia, and Cornell so I applied for the heck of it. I keep reading that this is a very favorable cycle for applicants with numbers being down, should I throw a few more apps out just in case? I am thinking of throwing out:

Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown
UT Austin
Vandy
USC

Any chance one of these gets desperate and takes me?
I also have legacy at NYU, but I don't think there is any chance there.

moonman157

Re: Should I bother T14? 165, 3.6

Postby moonman157 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Depends. How much does an $85 fee mean to you?

jeffgarlin

Postby jeffgarlin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm

curious also. numbers twin wooooo!

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Right now I am roughly the same as you also! Just a little higher gpa...but am very interested in what people have to say about this

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm

tbird wrote:I have already applied to all of the schools that I planned on applying to. I got waivers from Michigan, Virginia, and Cornell so I applied for the heck of it. I keep reading that this is a very favorable cycle for applicants with numbers being down, should I throw a few more apps out just in case? I am thinking of throwing out:

Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown
UT Austin
Vandy
USC

Any chance one of these gets desperate and takes me?
I also have legacy at NYU, but I don't think there is any chance there.

I am assuming you are not a URM, right? If you are, then my analysis does not apply. IMO you have essentially no shot at D, NW, GT, Vandy and a slim chance at USC and UT (I see one white male accepted to UT with a 165, 3.62, but he was in-state). The number of applicants is dropping, which is forcing schools to choose between letting their GPA/LSAT medians drop, making their classes smaller, or giving out more merit scholarships (or a combination of these). It seems schools have tended towards smaller class sizes and merit scholarships rather than letting the median drop. Even if some of these schools' medians did drop, you are still pretty significantly below their medians. If one of your numbers was above one of the medians, you might have a better chance, but as it stands, you are generally at or below the 25th percentile LSAT and GPA for these schools, which is a huge uphill battle.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom, but you do have the option of retaking the LSAT and knocking it out of the park and opening up some more choices. If you got a 165, you can get a 170+. How many attempts did you make, and how did you study?

ETA: if you refuse to retake, which I think is unwise, and you want to apply to these schools in a who-knows/I-will-regret-it-forever-if-I-don't-try kind of way, then go for it if you have the cash, but you asked about chances, and I am giving you my opinion about your chances, taking into account the drop in applicants. Good luck!

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:51 pm

All those schools are very unlikely since you are below both medians and not a URM.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm

What does everyone think about the schools he received waivers for, specifically Cornell.

No chance, Very long shot, Long shot, Maybe. I say Very long shot, but why would they even bother with a fee waiver?

"I got waivers from Michigan, Virginia, and Cornell "

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Nova wrote:All those schools are very unlikely since you are below both medians and not a URM.

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Coveted wrote:What does everyone think about the schools he received waivers for, specifically Cornell.

No chance, Very long shot, Long shot, Maybe. I say Very long shot, but why would they even bother with a fee waiver?

I got a better chance of getting a handjob from Tyra Banks at my carrel.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:27 pm

SEngland wrote:
Coveted wrote:What does everyone think about the schools he received waivers for, specifically Cornell.

lol, but seriously, who the fuck says "carrel"?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:27 pm

They want you to apply so they can reject you. This raises their selectivity score for USNWR.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:

They want you to apply so they can reject you. This raises their selectivity score for USNWR.

No /sarcasm?

If so, thanks for the informative post!

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Coveted wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

No /sarcasm?

He's not being sarcastic.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 pm

Here's how my cycle played out with the same numbers. I didn't apply to any T14 because I would have gone to UT (in-state) over T14 at sticker.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hookem7

Also, for the record, my app didn't include anything "special" by TLS terms.
Last edited by hookem7 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:37 pm

gaud wrote:
Coveted wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

No /sarcasm?

He's not being sarcastic.

Thats quite sad - Maybe Mr. Cooley was right about his new and "improved" ranking system!

I kid I kid :lol:

Coveted

Postby Coveted » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm

hookem7 wrote:Here's how my cycle played out with the same numbers, I didn't apply to any T14 because I would have gone to UT over T14 at sticker.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/hookem7

Also, for the record my app didn't include anything "special" by TLS terms.

Wow you got money from W&L?

This year it seems as if they are either being real stingy or cutting class sizes (from what I've seen in forums/LSN) - Though maybe they are just waiting till they receive the next batch of December apps?

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm

I was committed there until I came off the UT waitlist. Last year was really a weird year, SMU who TLS consensus says never negotiates, upped my offer when I negotiated with them. I think last year W&L was surprised by the number of commitments they received because of the big scholarships they were giving out. Before last year the school had a big capital drive, probably to boost scholarships since W&L had fallen into the 30s ranking wise, when if you look back at historical rankings they were usually around 20 < http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present > This increase in commitments led to to their increased class size and a boatload of deferrals. These deferrals plus a desire to get back to their previous class sizes (~130 compared to this year's ~180) would lead me to believe that W&L is playing their cards a little closer to the vest year cycle. If there is any info you would like on either W&L or UT, feel free to PM me.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Coveted wrote:
SEngland wrote:

lol, but seriously, who the fuck says "carrel"?

People in law school who have been assigned library carrels?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
People in law school who have been assigned library carrels?

Credited.

Return to “What are my chances?”