3.63/179 - chances at HS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
barneystinson

3.63/179 - chances at HS?

Postby barneystinson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Just submitted all my apps last week, what are my chances at H/S? I've heard conflicting things on both ends, and heard this is a good place for info. Thanks!

Rahviveh

Re: 3.63/179 - chances at HS?

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Chance at H, although small. Probably out at S and Y, unless URM or you have super-softs.

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Chance at H, although small. Probably out at S and Y, unless URM or you have super-softs.

Nothing really, have been working at a top consulting firm for the past two years if that helps..

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Definitely worth the apps at Y H S at the very least.

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Definitely worth the apps at Y H S at the very least.

You think Y is worth it? Feel like I have no shot there, figured I'd just hope for H/S.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:34 am

You may not, but isn't it worth the 100 dollars in app fees to know for sure?

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 am

barneystinson wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Chance at H, although small. Probably out at S and Y, unless URM or you have super-softs.

Nothing really, have been working at a top consulting firm for the past two years if that helps..

FWIW thats a pretty strong soft (im assuming MBB)

although i would find it hard to leave mmb for lawl school

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 am

enigmabk wrote:
barneystinson wrote:

Think slightly beneath (Booz/ATK/Deloitte). And you'd be surprised, work isn't bad but it does get old!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 am

???

He's basically a lock for Harvard, and may have a shot at Stanford with this cycle even with the low GPA. 177 is the magic number for Harvard, and OP scored 179.

http://myLSN.info/6vgrrn

Also, have you considered ED to Northwestern? With your consulting firm experience it seems like a nice fit, and it might be tough to turn down a full ride there, don't you think? I suppose NU might offer you a full ride even without the ED though.

igo2northwestern

Postby igo2northwestern » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:34 am

cahwc12 wrote:

???

He's basically a lock for Harvard, and may have a shot at Stanford with this cycle even with the low GPA. 177 is the magic number for Harvard, and OP scored 179.

Also, have you considered ED to Northwestern? With your consulting firm experience it seems like a nice fit, and it might be tough to turn down a full ride there, don't you think? I suppose NU might offer you a full ride even without the ED though.

He's not a lock for H - at best, it's 50-50. Also, there's a substantial difference between a 3.63 and 3.68, which is the high end of the inputs. Given that GPA is his weakness, it's best to keep that metric as close to 3.63 as possible.

And mid-tier consulting is a pretty average soft.

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am

cahwc12 wrote:

???

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.. Hopefully you're right (though from most other feedback, I don't think I'm a lock by any means). Also, I haven't really thought about Northwestern. I'm thinking I'll likely end up at one of CCN, and from what I've heard/read, there's gaps from CCN-MPVB-DCNG.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

igo2northwestern wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

???

He's not a lock for H - at best, it's 50-50. Also, there's a substantial difference between a 3.63 and 3.68, which is the high end of the inputs. Given that GPA is his weakness, it's best to keep that metric as close to 3.63 as possible.

This is a gif of 2009-2012 admissions cycles from LSN. You can clearly see the bar softening in the last few years (and it will continue to do so). There isn't a big difference at all in 3.63 to 3.68 for Harvard because both are well below the 25th percentile.

You can look at the numbers just as good as I can, and his numbers are very, very good for HLS this year.

That said, OP, I think you should consider a full ride at Northwestern with those numbers instead of going to HLS at sticker, but that's just me. I think you're less likely to get one from Chicago and very unlikely to get one from Columbia, but you sound like an ideal applicant for NU.

Best of luck!

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

???

This is a gif of 2009-2012 admissions cycles from LSN. You can clearly see the bar softening in the last few years (and it will continue to do so). There isn't a big difference at all in 3.63 to 3.68 for Harvard because both are well below the 25th percentile.

You can look at the numbers just as good as I can, and his numbers are very, very good for HLS this year.

That said, OP, I think you should consider a full ride at Northwestern with those numbers instead of going to HLS at sticker, but that's just me. I think you're less likely to get one from Chicago and very unlikely to get one from Columbia, but you sound like an ideal applicant for NU.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the yearly charts. Honestly, I don't think I'm going to submit an app to NU. If I get into a T3 I'll definitely pay sticker, otherwise I'll weigh my options based on admittances/scholarship money offered.

OfferSecured

Postby OfferSecured » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

barneystinson wrote:
enigmabk wrote:
barneystinson wrote:

Think slightly beneath (Booz/ATK/Deloitte). And you'd be surprised, work isn't bad but it does get old!

I would say good shot at H. Also, maybe I missed something but Booz/ATK/Deloitte are not "top" consulting firms? Good/Average but far from being top.
Last edited by OfferSecured on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I mean, they're 4/5/6 in the consulting firm rankings.. Would CCN not be considered top law schools here at TLS?

OfferSecured

Postby OfferSecured » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm

barneystinson wrote:I mean, they're 4/5/6 in the consulting firm rankings.. Would CCN not be considered top law schools here at TLS?

I don't really care, tbh. But CCN are not near the level of HYS. The 3 you listed are not near the level of MBB. Does that make sense?

and when I say, "I don't really care," it for the sense of that will not help you at all for admissions and the fact that I also, do not really care.

barneystinson

Postby barneystinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

OfferSecured wrote:
barneystinson wrote:I mean, they're 4/5/6 in the consulting firm rankings.. Would CCN not be considered top law schools here at TLS?

I don't really care, tbh. But CCN are not near the level of HYS. The 3 you listed are not near the level of MBB. Does that make sense?

and when I say, "I don't really care," it for the sense of that will not help you at all for admissions and the fact that I also, do not really care.

Oh, completely agree on both ends (though you're probably far more educated than me on the CCN vs HYS side of things). My argument was just CCN would still be considered "top", at least IMO.

Return to “What are my chances?”