155 - 3.25- kind of a unique case Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tonto

New

155 - 3.25- kind of a unique case

Post by tonto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:44 pm

155 LSAT
3.25-3.30 GPA (depending on final grades this semester)

The median numbers at my top choice are 160 LSAT and 3.4 GPA.

I have spoken with an admissions recruiter at my top school choice and was told to look at re-taking in February if I think I can score higher, and if not to ago ahead and apply with a GPA addendum. When I asked him about being so far below the medians he told me not to worry too much because, of course, 50% of the law school is below the median and I have a unique case.

My situation is that I played D1 football for 2 years and when I left the team I had a 2.3 GPA. I improved my GPA every semester after that and raised it to a 3.25 before I graduated and he thought this was worthy of attaching an addendum.

Also I have 8 family members that attend this school and one family member that is currently an employee of the school.

And in addition to that, I worked with a federal agency for 4 months which resulted in me getting two huge letters of rec from high ranking govt officials that I personally worked with.

Could my circumstances give me any leverage in being admitted below the median?

And if I re-take in Feb. and score worse, would that hurt my chances?

I am basically asking should I re-take or just apply?

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Re: 155 - 3.25- kind of a unique case

Post by Teflon_Don » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 pm

tonto wrote:155 LSAT

I have spoken with an admissions recruiter at my top school choice and was told to look at re-taking in February if I think I can score higher, and if not to ago ahead and apply with a GPA addendum. When I asked him about being so far below the medians he told me not to worry too much because, of course, 50% of the law school is below the median and I have a unique case.

My situation is that I played D1 football for 2 years and when I left the team I had a 2.3 GPA. I improved my GPA every semester after that and raised it to a 3.25 before I graduated and he thought this was worthy of attaching an addendum.

Also I have 8 family members that attend this school and one family member that is currently an employee of the school.

And in addition to that, I worked with a federal agency for 4 months which resulted in me getting two huge letters of rec from high ranking govt officials that I personally worked with.

It won't hurt to reapply but I think you're going to have to retake, sorry. Your softs aren't THAT strong, if strong at all. Below median on both LSAT/GPA = unlikely . best of luck

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't listen to admissions recruiters. Retake.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Control your own destiny.

Retake.

tonto

New

Post by tonto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Is it possible to apply now so I can have my information in before too many seats are taken AND re-take in Feb to see if I can score better?

Or are scores set after your application is submitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 pm

tonto wrote:Is it possible to apply now so I can have my information in before too many seats are taken AND re-take in Feb to see if I can score better?
You can do that.

In This Economy?

New

Post by In This Economy? » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

In this economy?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

In This Economy? wrote:

In this economy?
Schtick's already old -- you know "this economy" is what drives lots of people to law school, right?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:33 pm

The law school recruiter told you that 50% of each class is below the median LSAT & GPA ? This is doubtful. 50% may be below median of one stat or the other, but not both. (Usually students below both medians are URMs.)

Since you are below both medians & well below the LSAT median, retake if willing to prep in a serious manner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:44 pm

go to the lsat prep forum and get a good study plan. I had similar numbers, but I studied hard and took my LSAT from a 155 to a 164. You are capable of doing the same. Also, don't settle for a 160. You may get in if you score a 160 in February, but you'll most likely not get very good scholly money. If you want to go to a modestly ranked school (which can be a reasonable goal depending on the market), you should try to do as well as you can on the lsat to maximize your scholarship. Plus, don't be afraid to keep studying and retake in June, or even go for a third attempt in October if you think you can do even better. This is the route I took, and it worked out great for me. Seriously, I've never heard anyone say that they regret taking a year off.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Your GPA isn't what you should be worried about. Your LSAT is a huge, huge problem. The only schools that would take you with those stats are going to have very bad employment data. If you really want to be a lawyer and are willing to work to achieve that dream, then you need to bust your ass and retake the LSAT.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 pm

I was going to post that you're not a unique case, but that actually sounds compelling to me. I think you'll probably get into your choice school.

The main problem and what everyone else is hinting at is that your LSAT is going to prevent you from getting any merit aid offers. If you could turn that 155 into a 162, you could be looking at significant or full ride, depending on the school. Even if you're looking at a state school that has low resident tuition, and your application (those are good softs imo) is strong, retaking the LSAT could be the difference in tens of thousands of dollars less you'll owe upon graduation.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 pm

tonto wrote:he told me not to worry too much because, of course, 50% of the law school is below the median and I have a unique case.
That 50% is, roughly, the 50% who are above the LSAT median.

Source: 3.49 and hoping for 17x to save my ass

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tonto

New

Post by tonto » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 am

Thank you for all of the info guys. I think I am going to try to apply ASAP (waiting for my letters of rec to be submitted) and submit an addendum in regard to the GPA and re-take the LSAT in Feb.

We will see what happens. If things don't go my way I will probably take the year off and try to score as high as possible and see what happens next year.

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:06 am

tonto wrote:Thank you for all of the info guys. I think I am going to try to apply ASAP (waiting for my letters of rec to be submitted) and submit an addendum in regard to the GPA and re-take the LSAT in Feb.

We will see what happens. If things don't go my way I will probably take the year off and try to score as high as possible and see what happens next year.
Most will say retake.
I say you might as well give it a shot and send out apps. If you do not get any bites, then retake. I took a year off, worked in the senate, got a personalized letter of recc. for the senator i worked for and got in to the state school even though I was under both medians for GPA and LSAT.
Law School will always be there, hopefully with a better economy in 2-5 years, don't go to a school your not comfortable staying at for 3 years and accumulating debt for 3 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”