university of michigan

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
overperformer

university of michigan

Postby overperformer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 am

3.98 GPA. killer personal statement. and killer optional essays (I can write for days). killer.

and hidden in the disclaimer, and october lsat 154, expected december 160-163

can an awesome GPA, and amazing writing overcome mediocre LSAT?

if not, michigan state, here I come.

not moving out of state..........................

dsn32

Re: university of michigan

Postby dsn32 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 am

overperformer wrote:3.98 GPA. killer personal statement. and killer optional essays (I can write for days). killer.

You aren't very likely to get in to Michigan with that LSAT. But if you are dead-set on living in the state, I highly suggest looking at Wayne State over MSU (placement is superior in SE Michigan), or even a good midwest T1 that is able to send kids back to Michigan with ties (places like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Illinois, Indiana come to mind). Going to MSU would limit your options too severely to make it worth your while with that GPA. Also, the common advice will be retake, but I understand that isn't for everyone (and scores in the high 160s/low 170 are tough to get).

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Retake. Don't waste that GPA. Taking a cycle off to study for June/October makes a hell of a lot more sense than going now.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Become a writer

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Youre a long shot with a 154 and its kind of pointless to speculate about your chances before your new score comes out.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm

dsn32 wrote:
overperformer wrote:3.98 GPA. killer personal statement. and killer optional essays (I can write for days). killer.

You aren't very likely to get in to Michigan with that LSAT. But if you are dead-set on living in the state, I highly suggest looking at Wayne State over MSU (placement is superior in SE Michigan), or even a good midwest T1 that is able to send kids back to Michigan with ties (places like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Illinois, Indiana come to mind). Going to MSU would limit your options too severely to make it worth your while with that GPA. Also, the common advice will be retake, but I understand that isn't for everyone (and scores in the high 160s/low 170 are tough to get).

i am actually currently at Wayne for undergraduate. idk, just want a change of pace. and nicer college community/campus.

i've been hearing that MSU's law reputation has been increasing. i am going to do a jd/mba dual program. idk is that makes a difference

going to have to do research between now and scores release.

retake, well im young, 21, but for some reason want to start fall 2013

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Become a writer

LOL!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 pm

K-JD wants JD-MBA. Oh god.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:28 pm

overperformer wrote: retake, well im young, 21, but for some reason want to start fall 2013

Retake in June then. If you do much better, sit out.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:10 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 am

overperformer wrote:
dsn32 wrote:

i am actually currently at Wayne for undergraduate. idk, just want a change of pace. and nicer college community/campus.

i've been hearing that MSU's law reputation has been increasing. i am going to do a jd/mba dual program. idk is that makes a difference

As someone from SE Michigan, I get it. Detroit blows, let alone being there for the majority of your day. But Wayne is vastly superior to MSU for your purposes, and you'd be missing the point of this thread if you went to MSU over Wayne solely for the living environment for three years. And living in Royal Oak and commuting would be way better than East Lansing for three years anyways, IMO. Regardless, the LSAT is super important for you because you'd want to get some scholarship support going to Wayne. It's a good local school and should get you some sort of legal work, but it certainly isn't guaranteed that the work you'll get from there is going to be phenomenal (or well paid).

Although my advice to you would be sit out this cycle and apply for Fall 2014 for two reasons:
1. By the time you submit, you will be pretty late for this cycle, which hurts your chances.
2. With that GPA and in-state status, you MIGHT be able to pull UMich with a 167-168. Definitely with a 169. That should be your goal.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 am

dsn32 wrote:
overperformer wrote:
dsn32 wrote:

As someone from SE Michigan, I get it. Detroit blows, let alone being there for the majority of your day. But Wayne is vastly superior to MSU for your purposes, and you'd be missing the point of this thread if you went to MSU over Wayne solely for the living environment for three years. And living in Royal Oak and commuting would be way better than East Lansing for three years anyways, IMO. Regardless, the LSAT is super important for you because you'd want to get some scholarship support going to Wayne. It's a good local school and should get you some sort of legal work, but it certainly isn't guaranteed that the work you'll get from there is going to be phenomenal (or well paid).

Although my advice to you would be sit out this cycle and apply for Fall 2014 for two reasons:
1. By the time you submit, you will be pretty late for this cycle, which hurts your chances.
2. With that GPA and in-state status, you MIGHT be able to pull UMich with a 167-168. Definitely with a 169. That should be your goal.

well, the vehemency towards MSU is unanimous.

just going to have to wait for results, and evaluate from there

appreciate the advice

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:13 am

dsn32 wrote:
overperformer wrote:
dsn32 wrote:

Questionable. Most Wayne State grads do not find long-term, full-time legal jobs by graduation: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wayne . I don't know why people in this thread are encouraging OP to attend WSU. Sure, it's got better job prospects than MSU, but they're still pretty fucking terrible. (It's like someone asking whether they would be better off getting shot in the head with a .22 or a desert eagle. Yeah, you might be more likely to survive a gunshot wound to the head with a .22, but getting shot in the head in the first place is still a pretty terrible plan.) Not to mention it would be crazy to go WSU with a 3.98 UGPA.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 am

your tar is broken, Spyke. Also... youre completely right!

Four Ten

Postby Four Ten » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 am

Can't emphasize enough the importance of retaking. Scoring in the high 160s will open up new avenues for you. I can attest to that. It took me three tries to get to that level (after scoring in 150s and low 160s my first two tries), but it paid off in the end.

overperformer

Postby overperformer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Four Ten wrote:Can't emphasize enough the importance of retaking. Scoring in the high 160s will open up new avenues for you. I can attest to that. It took me three tries to get to that level (after scoring in 150s and low 160s my first two tries), but it paid off in the end.

ok guys. now, im pretty sure i want to retake.

im considering doing an accelerated MBA online (which will take 1 year) during 2013, then applying for fall 2014 for law school. taking the lsat in june or october.

i just dont know, if in doing so, i would have enough time to practice and improve my score on the lsat.

i cant sit out a year w/o any education. my parents have demonized/rejected that idea. and well, they are paying for my law school (and all education) outright. i come from a wealthy family.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

overperformer wrote:
Four Ten wrote:Can't emphasize enough the importance of retaking. Scoring in the high 160s will open up new avenues for you. I can attest to that. It took me three tries to get to that level (after scoring in 150s and low 160s my first two tries), but it paid off in the end.

ok guys. now, im pretty sure i want to retake.

im considering doing an accelerated MBA online (which will take 1 year) during 2013, then applying for fall 2014 for law school. taking the lsat in june or october.

i just dont know, if in doing so, i would have enough time to practice and improve my score on the lsat.

i cant sit out a year w/o any education. my parents have demonized/rejected that idea. and well, they are paying for my law school (and all education) outright. i come from a wealthy family.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to study for the LSAT, while working on your MBA. B-school is a joke.

Return to “What are my chances?”