Need advice beyond law school calculator

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wbrother

Re: Need advice beyond law school calculator

Postby wbrother » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 pm

dingbat wrote:I really hate to say it, but, with some exceptions, I'm not sure someone scoring below 160 should go to law school. Anyone care to make an argument for?

Some of the Public Defenders in my area admitted to scoring in the 150s during a presentation in one of my classes. I'm not sure if they were just BSing to encourage people to pursue law school, or if it was legit. Public Defenders in my area work at a private firm that has a contract with the county, so they make better than average money and still qualify for IBR and debt forgiveness after 10 years. Both were fairly recent grads, but I think only one was post 2008. Obviously with the new job market, things have changed. I'm not sure what the landscape will look like in 3-4 years, but with a 164 I'm willing to take the chance. If someone who probably got 6-8 more questions wrong than me wants to take a chance I think they should go for it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm

And I worked with an incredibly successful attorney out of a TTT. For a very extreme example, just because 1 person won half a billion dollars in the lottery doesn't mean you should invest your life savings in lottery tickets.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 pm

dingbat wrote:And I worked with an incredibly successful attorney out of a TTT. For a very extreme example, just because 1 person won half a billion dollars in the lottery doesn't mean you should invest your life savings in lottery tickets.

True. But I'd say a graduate from 60-100 have at least a %30 chance of securing legitimate employment, again if chances of making grades is random. That's a better shot than lottery tickets. Of course if you're at one of these schools and you're not spending what you can on lotto tix, you're blowing it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 pm

wbrother wrote:But I'd say a graduate from 60-100 have at least a %30 chance of securing legitimate employment

I'll agree with that, if you'll agree that legitimate employment doesn't necessarily justify the cost of the school.

For me the big eye-opener was someone I know who went to an ivy league undergrad (at full price) and became a cop afterwards (and is still a cop. doesn't want to be anything other than a cop).
Student loan balance was a multiple of income. A lot of the schools ranked 60-100 cost too much. To harp on a school already mentioned in this thread, American at sticker is too expensive, plain and simple. But at a decent discount, it's a perfectly fine institution to attend.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 am

dingbat wrote:
wbrother wrote:But I'd say a graduate from 60-100 have at least a %30 chance of securing legitimate employment

I'll agree with that, if you'll agree that legitimate employment doesn't necessarily justify the cost of the school.

For me the big eye-opener was someone I know who went to an ivy league undergrad (at full price) and became a cop afterwards (and is still a cop. doesn't want to be anything other than a cop).
Student loan balance was a multiple of income. A lot of the schools ranked 60-100 cost too much. To harp on a school already mentioned in this thread, American at sticker is too expensive, plain and simple. But at a decent discount, it's a perfectly fine institution to attend.

We agree!

Return to “What are my chances?”