162 2.7

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pwv2913
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm

162 2.7

Postby pwv2913 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi all, I was hoping to be critiqued as an applicant, and perhaps endowed with some advice

First off, I am graduating this semester, my #'s are 162, 3.0ugpa, 2.7 lsac ugpa

As for the weaknesses in my application:
I know my GPA is very low but I possess, at least what I believe is, a solid addendum.

Additionally, I have an unusually high amount of W's, these are not attached with grade penalties, but rather were due to a poor advising experience throughout my undergrad and constant schedule changes. I have documentation showing that most of my W's were courses dropped very soon after enrollment in them, would this be something worth elaborating on in an addendum?
Furthermore, I do have two arrests on my record, one for Minor in consumption my freshman year that was expunged (do I still report this?), and one for minor in consumption and disorderly conduct my sophomore year. Should I provide and addendum for this as well? I feel as though too many addenda could be off-putting for admissions officers.

My letters of recommendation are pretty mediocre

Perceived Pros:
-Looking to take advantage of a down year in applicants and matriculants
-I have an abundance of leadership experience from an organization in my undergrad (Is this something that admissions officers put any stock into?)

I am a non-URM, resident of Arizona, and am looking to specialize in intellectual property

THe schools I am looking to apply to are:
ASU (I understand that this is more than a long shot)
U of Arizona (Same)
U Houston (Same)
Santa Clara
Chapman
UNH
Whittier

what do you guys think my chances are at any of these and would any give me $$?

I know everyone is going to tell me to retake or that Law School would be a poor investment for me. I appreciate the valuable input, but please omit it from this thread. I am determined to go and my plan is to apply this cycle, evaluate my options, decide whether or not to take the June 2013 LSAT, then re-apply next cycle if there is an improvement. Thanks all.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Your chances of admission, you can check LSN and possibly the LSAC site. As far as scholarships, you're unlikely to get anything with those numbers, addendum or no. I honestly wouldn't bother applying this cycle, as it will very likely wind up being a waste of money, especially since you're willing to go next cycle if you do well in the retake. You seem to be realistic about the quality of your application as it stands; don't apply until you've done everything you can to make yourself an attractive candidate. An addition year off from that GPA won't hurt either.

You'll likely have to write a C&F addendum for most if not all of the applications; it's not a big deal. It will be glanced at and treated with the amount of concern that a MIP ticket deserves (i.e. none).

How many W's are we talking, and is this all in one period of time (e.g. one screwed up semester) or throughout your UG?

pwv2913
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby pwv2913 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you for the response:

The W's were overwhelmingly over one semester, where my advisor gave me some erroneous information (I've already raised hell at my undergrad, not much else I can do on that front). forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a C&F addendum is.

I am open to taking the year off, my preference is to enroll for the fall of 2013, though. My thoughts were that amidst the speculation of a down year in applications, my LSAT may be attractive enough to squeeze me in to a school I would not otherwise be admitted to. If that is not the case, and I do not receive significant $ from one of the lower-tiered schools on my list, I would retake in June. I realistically believe I could score anywhere between 165-167 with a retake. With my low GPA would that be a significant boost? The prospect of taking a year off just scares me is all..

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby akili » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:19 pm

pwv2913 wrote:Thank you for the response:

The W's were overwhelmingly over one semester, where my advisor gave me some erroneous information (I've already raised hell at my undergrad, not much else I can do on that front). forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a C&F addendum is.

I am open to taking the year off, my preference is to enroll for the fall of 2013, though. My thoughts were that amidst the speculation of a down year in applications, my LSAT may be attractive enough to squeeze me in to a school I would not otherwise be admitted to. If that is not the case, and I do not receive significant $ from one of the lower-tiered schools on my list, I would retake in June. I realistically believe I could score anywhere between 165-167 with a retake. With my low GPA would that be a significant boost? The prospect of taking a year off just scares me is all..


It can be scary, but having a higher LSAT and work experience is going to put you in a better situation.

What kind of law do you want to do? Are you going to be paying for school with loans? Do you have a job lined up for post-grad? Where do you want to work?

pwv2913
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby pwv2913 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Also, I was wondering, in a situation where there is a strong discrepancy between LSAT and GPA, and a school had entering scholarship requirements where, for example, the LSAT is 158 and the GPA is 2.8; would I, having splits of 162/2.7, be able to negotiate my way into that scholarship?

pwv2913
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby pwv2913 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:25 pm

My worry is that I am not sure any job/experience that I could procure at the present would be beneficial/look attractive.

I am looking into going into intellectual property law, do not have a job, am not looking for a big law or 100k law right out of school, and am pretty open to various regions

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby akili » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm

pwv2913 wrote:My worry is that I am not sure any job/experience that I could procure at the present would be beneficial/look attractive.

I am looking into going into intellectual property law, do not have a job, am not looking for a big law or 100k law right out of school, and am pretty open to various regions


My year off I worked in a completely random industry and studied for the LSAT, it hasn't seemed to hurt me at all. It's been a talking point at several interviews.

Do you have a science background? Again, how much debt will you be going into? A year off to work could help defray costs of school.

alex.feuerman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby alex.feuerman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:06 pm

pwv2913 wrote: I am determined to go and my plan is to apply this cycle, evaluate my options, decide whether or not to take the June 2013 LSAT, then re-apply next cycle if there is an improvement. Thanks all.


Just think to yourself the following
Do you have loans from college? Do you know how much you will owe after interest has accrued?

What are your plans for paying for law school? Because sticker prices (e.g. $70k) isn't what you end up paying, you'll end up paying that plus accrued interest. Not to mention the $$ you will lose by NOT working during law school. (even if you work part time, you're prob looking at pay on the lower end of the spectrum.)

There are some great online calculators to calculate interest rates and financial solvency. I hope you are not offended, it's just think about whether your life plans involve owing $200k plus and repaying over (probably) ten+ years. (since you said you don't want biglaw) I mean don't you want to have kids? or a house or a car? or a life free of debt?

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby SEngland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm

OP seems to be a lock at Texas Tech and Chapman with possible scholly money at MaineU?

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby byronmullens » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 pm

SEngland wrote:OP seems to be a lock at Texas Tech and Chapman with possible scholly money at MaineU?


Where does Maine come from OP didn't mention Maine, just UNH? Does MaineU have good IP program, curious, not aware.

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby SEngland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm

byronmullens wrote:
SEngland wrote:OP seems to be a lock at Texas Tech and Chapman with possible scholly money at MaineU?


Where does Maine come from OP didn't mention Maine, just UNH? Does MaineU have good IP program, curious, not aware.


Maine is comparable to UNH if not better. It has better lay prestige and I think more movement and rec in the region. Maine IP program is strong as well. Solid profs and my brah's fiance went there for IP, jerb'd up and making $$$ now.

Maine >> UNH, especially with a little of that scholly schol schol tossed in.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 pm

pwv2913 wrote:Thank you for the response:

The W's were overwhelmingly over one semester, where my advisor gave me some erroneous information (I've already raised hell at my undergrad, not much else I can do on that front). forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a C&F addendum is.

I am open to taking the year off, my preference is to enroll for the fall of 2013, though. My thoughts were that amidst the speculation of a down year in applications, my LSAT may be attractive enough to squeeze me in to a school I would not otherwise be admitted to. If that is not the case, and I do not receive significant $ from one of the lower-tiered schools on my list, I would retake in June. I realistically believe I could score anywhere between 165-167 with a retake. With my low GPA would that be a significant boost? The prospect of taking a year off just scares me is all..


It would be a huge boost. Only one person on LSN with a 164+ in the last two years wasn't accepted to ASU and he had a 2.5 UGPA.
http://asu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 pm

SEngland wrote:
byronmullens wrote:
SEngland wrote:OP seems to be a lock at Texas Tech and Chapman with possible scholly money at MaineU?


Where does Maine come from OP didn't mention Maine, just UNH? Does MaineU have good IP program, curious, not aware.


Maine is comparable to UNH if not better. It has better lay prestige and I think more movement and rec in the region. Maine IP program is strong as well. Solid profs and my brah's fiance went there for IP, jerb'd up and making $$$ now.

Maine >> UNH, especially with a little of that scholly schol schol tossed in.


maine gives shit scholarships. they po' as shit

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 162 2.7

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:35 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
pwv2913 wrote:Thank you for the response:

The W's were overwhelmingly over one semester, where my advisor gave me some erroneous information (I've already raised hell at my undergrad, not much else I can do on that front). forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a C&F addendum is.

I am open to taking the year off, my preference is to enroll for the fall of 2013, though. My thoughts were that amidst the speculation of a down year in applications, my LSAT may be attractive enough to squeeze me in to a school I would not otherwise be admitted to. If that is not the case, and I do not receive significant $ from one of the lower-tiered schools on my list, I would retake in June. I realistically believe I could score anywhere between 165-167 with a retake. With my low GPA would that be a significant boost? The prospect of taking a year off just scares me is all..


It would be a huge boost. Only one person on LSN with a 164+ in the last two years wasn't accepted to ASU and he had a 2.5 UGPA.
http://asu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213


This thread is more than six months old.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Re: 162 2.7

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
pwv2913 wrote:Thank you for the response:

The W's were overwhelmingly over one semester, where my advisor gave me some erroneous information (I've already raised hell at my undergrad, not much else I can do on that front). forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what a C&F addendum is.

I am open to taking the year off, my preference is to enroll for the fall of 2013, though. My thoughts were that amidst the speculation of a down year in applications, my LSAT may be attractive enough to squeeze me in to a school I would not otherwise be admitted to. If that is not the case, and I do not receive significant $ from one of the lower-tiered schools on my list, I would retake in June. I realistically believe I could score anywhere between 165-167 with a retake. With my low GPA would that be a significant boost? The prospect of taking a year off just scares me is all..


It would be a huge boost. Only one person on LSN with a 164+ in the last two years wasn't accepted to ASU and he had a 2.5 UGPA.
http://asu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213


This thread is more than six months old.


If you haven't started LS, it's never too late for a retake.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests