Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Hiya,

I am trying to decide last minute if Northwestern and Chicago are worth the app fees for me. I like the idea of having a t-14 Chicago option because I know many people in the Chicago area and think it's a decent city. For Chicago, I am worried that my GPA is too low and it's not worth it. For Northwestern, I am concerned my lack of substantive work experience would put me out. I am wondering which one I actually have a better shot at. With LSN, it's hard to tell because of the work experience factor.

Thanks!
Last edited by jubee on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gator_Law

Re: UChicago or Northwestern?

Postby Gator_Law » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't see any reason to not submit apps to both. You are more likely to get waitlisted or accepted than rejected at Chicago and probably in at NU.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Your work exp is fine for NU. Send apps to both.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the responses guys!

So is it generally the consensus that if you have pretty good numbers, then the quality of WE doesn't have to be super great or special for NU? I thought I read mixed reviews on this issue, so that's why I am unsure about my chances there. Or is it that for my WE, it is at least an office "real" type of job even if it isn't glamorous, rather than, working as a server or in retail etc. (not to bash those jobs at all).

ETA: I've seen people say even those types of jobs are fine too, but don't know what TCR is
Last edited by jubee on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

jubee wrote:So is it generally the consensus that if you have pretty good numbers, then the quality of WE doesn't have to be super great or special for NU? I thought I read mixed reviews on this issue, so that's why I am unsure about my chances there.

I mean they want to see some dedication but there are plenty of former paper pushers walking the halls of NU.

jubee

Postby jubee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by jubee on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:00 pm

jubee wrote:I also should amend my original post to say that the administrative job I have is not technically full time, as it is hourly wage and not salaried, and I work closer to around 30-35 hours/wk (4-5 days/wk at slightly reduced hours). This is also a job I had held for consecutive college summers, and that was the original arrangement and the main reason it has remained that way. I feel like this could work against me in the WE category.

On a resume PT/hourly looks the same. I think the 30-35 hours will be enough that you'll be fine if you have to answer that question on the application itself.

Return to “What are my chances?”