Should I apply to Columbia / NYU? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Should I apply to Columbia / NYU?

Post by fruitoftheloom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm

3.49 / 174. 4 years of corporate work experience, not URM, no special softs.

I can afford the $250 it will cost me to apply, but I don't really want to burn money unless there's a decent chance I get in or get scholarships and can use that to negotiate with other schools.

I have applied to MVP down in the T14 and a couple of random other schools. I'm a TX resident, and I would be very hesitant to go to NYU / Columbia w/o a good scholarship because of the cost of living. I have enough savings that if I live frugally in a non-NYC area, I won't have to borrow for the COL.

Thoughts?

(btw - I have looked at LSN, it looks like I'm wait list territory, which to me means possible acceptance in late summer w no $$).

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Should I apply t Columbia / NYU?

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Law school applications are down this year so results for your numbers could be better than indicated by LSN. Otherwise, Northwestern should offer substantial scholarship money due to your LSAT & work experience.

Fitz51

Bronze

Re: Should I apply t Columbia / NYU?

Post by Fitz51 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Do it for potential bargaining power? If 170+ scores are as highly sought after this cycle as the data would seem to indicate, you have a decent shot of getting in. If you do get in with no $$, use the acceptance to try and get a little more merit from MVP and down. As someone said in another thread, not applying to schools you have somewhat of a shot at can end up penny wise and pound foolish.

florida1949

Bronze

Re: Should I apply to Columbia / NYU?

Post by florida1949 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 pm

you're definitely not 'wait-list territory' for NYU. given past cycles, you're very likely to get in and that doesn't take into account declining apps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”