164/3.85 Binding ED Duke

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sicxela

164/3.85 Binding ED Duke

Postby sicxela » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

I applied Binding ED to Duke about a month ago, but haven't heard anything back yet. I was surprised to get accepted into UT early decision (non-binding) yesterday. I have solid softs and a couple of strong letters of rec. I'm graduating Summa Cum Laude from a lower Tier 1 university this December, and am wondering what you guys think my chances at getting into Duke are? As a Texas resident, I'm thrilled with UT and wondering where I'll be going now! Also, do I have any chance at Penn, or is that too much of a long shot?
Last edited by sicxela on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: 164/3.85 Binding ED Duke

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 pm

If you want to work in Texas and only Texas I would switch over to RD at Duke ASAP. Otherwise they might accept you ED which could put you in a tough financial situation.

sicxela

Postby sicxela » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm

BigZuck wrote:If you want to work in Texas and only Texas I would switch over to RD at Duke ASAP. Otherwise they might accept you ED which could put you in a tough financial situation.

That's one of the things I was a little worried about, since UT is so affordable in-state. My worry is that, since I am interested in international law, I might have better job prospects at Duke? I wouldn't mind being based in Texas, or working in Texas if international law didn't work out (I have other interests as well), but if Duke would make me more marketable then it might be worth the extra debt. Any thoughts?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes, but you won't get international law regardless (it doesn't exist). That said, you will have better job prospects out of Duke than you will UTexas.

If it were me, I'd stay in at Duke ED and retake the LSAT in Feb. If you do substantially better (168 or more), reapply next year with no EDs. If you don't, stay at Duke, assuming you get it.

In my mind, 200k debt at Duke with a 50-60% chance at Biglaw is better than 120k of debt with a 30% chance of biglaw at UT. Plus, Duke's LRAP is better.

sicxela

Postby sicxela » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:27 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Yes, but you won't get international law regardless (it doesn't exist). That said, you will have better job prospects out of Duke than you will UTexas.

If it were me, I'd stay in at Duke ED and retake the LSAT in Feb. If you do substantially better (168 or more), reapply next year with no EDs. If you don't, stay at Duke, assuming you get it.

In my mind, 200k debt at Duke with a 50-60% chance at Biglaw is better than 120k of debt with a 30% chance of biglaw at UT. Plus, Duke's LRAP is better.

I agree about the job prospects, which is why I was willing to apply ED to Duke in the first place. I understand what you are getting at with the "international law does not exist" statement, but I am interested primarily in business law and would love to be able to get into international mergers and acquisitions some day (presuming that this would be very difficult for a new grad to get into). I am also interested in internships abroad, which I would imagine are more available for Duke students.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Looks more like 250K versus 150K both of which I think I would pass on. Retake is obviously the correct answer. If that is refused I'm not sure what the best answer is because both of those debt loads seem to require big law and Duke is obviously much better in that regard. It's just that 100K extra is a lot of money.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm

3.85+/165 in via Accelerated ED at Duke, HTH.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:Looks more like 250K versus 150K both of which I think I would pass on. Retake is obviously the correct answer. If that is refused I'm not sure what the best answer is because both of those debt loads seem to require big law and Duke is obviously much better in that regard. It's just that 100K extra is a lot of money.

+1

Retake is definitely the right answer. get a 170+ and you won't have to pay (much) for law school

sicxela

Postby sicxela » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm

florida1949 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Looks more like 250K versus 150K both of which I think I would pass on. Retake is obviously the correct answer. If that is refused I'm not sure what the best answer is because both of those debt loads seem to require big law and Duke is obviously much better in that regard. It's just that 100K extra is a lot of money.

+1

Retake is definitely the right answer. get a 170+ and you won't have to pay (much) for law school

Wouldn't it be too late to do that for admission in the fall? I know its illogical, but I really don't want to wait another year. Also, is it at all possible to negotiate a scholarship after 1L grades come in (supposing that they are really good)? I prefer Duke, but all of that debt is intimidating! Any other thoughts about asking to be withdrawn from ED? UT hasn't sent out scholarship offers yet, so there is a small chance that they may offer a little bit. In that case, Duke may appear even more intimidating. At least Duke offers a 15K grant for Binding ED applicants... :?

sicxela

Postby sicxela » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm

AllDangle wrote:3.85+/165 in via Accelerated ED at Duke, HTH.

That sounds pretty promising! And scary... I'm intimidated by the amount of debt required to attend, but love the school and the career prospects coming out. What are your thoughts on financing Duke?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm in my late 20s and waited many years and took the LSAT 3 times and got into Duke RD and a half ride at UT. Just take it in February, you're fine. And if you have to wait it's no big deal. I'm old as dirt and am 100% satisfied with my decision to retake and reapply. I have never seen someone on this site regret doing that.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm

sicxela wrote:
Wouldn't it be too late to do that for admission in the fall? I know its illogical, but I really don't want to wait another year. Also, is it at all possible to negotiate a scholarship after 1L grades come in (supposing that they are really good)? I prefer Duke, but all of that debt is intimidating! Any other thoughts about asking to be withdrawn from ED? UT hasn't sent out scholarship offers yet, so there is a small chance that they may offer a little bit. In that case, Duke may appear even more intimidating. At least Duke offers a 15K grant for Binding ED applicants... :?

Well, it might not be too late (people do get accepted who apply later in the cycle), and if it is, you should strongly consider waiting a year. You'll be able to increase your LSAT score if it isn't high enough and make your resume a little more impressive (1 year WE)

cliff notes:
1. I don't think attending Duke at sticker is a good idea.
2. With a 170+ LSAT and your GPA, you could be looking at MUCH better outcomes than (1)

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

sicxela wrote:
AllDangle wrote:3.85+/165 in via Accelerated ED at Duke, HTH.

That sounds pretty promising! And scary... I'm intimidated by the amount of debt required to attend, but love the school and the career prospects coming out. What are your thoughts on financing Duke?

I'm from the south, and wouldn't mind staying here. I have a good bit of contacts in big and mid sized firms in the southern state I'm from. I saw Duke as my best shot, given my numbers, at biglaw. I am getting some COL help from my family and will have enough savings to hopefully make it so I only need to take out tuition. Given my circumstances and ties, I felt comfortable with it.

Return to “What are my chances?”