Low GPA, *edit* 173 LSAT, learning disability

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Low GPA, *edit* 173 LSAT, learning disability

Postby KFV » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 am

Hi. I'm wondering to what extent schools will "forgive" my low GPA, given that I have a significant learning disability (diagnosed as having "moderate-severe ADHD," need medication to function academically), which was undiagnosed for my first two years of school.

1st year: 3.2
2nd year: 2.1
Started off at T3 Canadian school, got kicked out. Then was diagnosed with learning disability etc.
A year's worth of credits at community college taken PT while working: 3.6
Then did final two years at a ~T6 Canadian school.
3rd year: 3.2
4th year: 3.6
Overall: 3.15

Business degree, focus in Finance. Even after diagnosis, disability still greatly affected grades. Example: C- in Intro to Finance, nothing lower than A- in all my upper-level finance courses.

Taking the LSAT in December. On practices always score 172+. Highest is 178. I didn't ask LSAC for extra time even though I received extra time/private room in university (will I get points for balls?).

And I'm Canadian, in case that wasn't clear.

I'm wondering what sort of odds I have of getting into a T14 school and getting enough aid (I'm from a middle class background and my parents are retired, so there's need) that I won't incur more than 15k a year in tuition, if I were to get 175 on the LSAT. My dream is Columbia or NYU but I know that might be wishful thinking.

I know that this is a very specific question with a lot of intangible factors, so any insight at all is very greatly appreciated.
Last edited by KFV on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Low GPA, high LSAT, learning disability

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 am

Your chances for Columbia are pretty slim. They're a little better for NYU but you won't be getting enough, if any, scholarship money to make tuition only $15k/year

You def have a shot at T14 schools, especially the splitter friendly ones: NU, GULC, Cornell, UVA

If I were you, first I would focus on getting that 173+ LSAT. Just because you're PT'ing in a certain range does not mean you're going to score in that range (i know from personal experience)

If you get a good score, I'd apply at NYU-down and throw in a few regional schools that might give you good scholarships

Re: Low GPA, high LSAT, learning disability

Postby KFV » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. Good to know I've got a shot. Definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch, but it's just good to know I've got something to get myself really psyched over this Saturday (if I don't get in at a T14 I'll just end up going to the local university, which I could do with a 165).

Re: Low GPA, *edit* 173 LSAT, learning disability

Postby KFV » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi, so I'm doing apps now. Ended up with a 173. So Columbia/NYU will be a pretty slim shot in terms of getting a decent scholarship, right? What are the ones I have the best shots at in the bottom of the t14? I don't want to send off two many apps for financial reasons. I'm really interested in Cornell, NU and UPenn. Are those reasonable expectations?

Return to “What are my chances?”