Good softs for Yale or Stanny

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hjones33

Good softs for Yale or Stanny

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I was a Division I athlete at a big state school in a sport that brings in revenue (football, basketball). I know that's nothing like curing a disease, killing Bin Laden, or being a chill Midwestern bro, but is that at least interesting to adcoms at Yale or Stanford? Or is that nothing of interest to adcoms at those schools with all the other amazing softs they see? I also heard from lawyers that my soft would help a lot in hiring in the state of my undergrad, but maybe people just say that to be nice.

My stats are 175 (retake)/3.6 and a URM.

Hjones33

Re: Good softs for Yale or Stanny

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Wormfather wrote:Which URM?

Native American. I am also a 1/4 black and a 1/4 Caucasian, but I checked Native American and Caucasian on the applications.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Wormfather wrote:Native American. I am also a 1/4 black and a 1/4 Caucasian, but I checked Native American and Caucasian on the applications.

ohgodwhy.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm

vulpixie wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Native American. I am also a 1/4 black and a 1/4 Caucasian, but I checked Native American and Caucasian on the applications.

ohgodwhy.

Ha I knew this was going to come up, I just have had deep connections to my Native American and "European roots", but not really anything to being black. That part of my extended family that was African-American I never knew and never really a part of.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
vulpixie wrote:

ohgodwhy.

Ha I knew this was going to come up, I just have had deep connections to my Native American and "European roots", but not really anything to being black. That part of my extended family that was African-American I never knew and never really a part of.

I get that you're trying to be ethical but you're still 1/4 AA even if you don't have ties to that part of your family. If it can help you get into a better school, why not check it off? It's not like you're lying.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:

Native American. I am also a 1/4 black and a 1/4 Caucasian, but I checked Native American and Caucasian on the applications.

Oh man, if I could I'd slap you. NA and Black? Those softs probably outweigh the D1. And a 175. You'll get one of HYSC.

But if you haven't submitted I would definitely go back and check that off.

Does anyone know if the OP can email the schools and let them know that he omitted his AA because he thought that you had to be 50%+ or something?

Edit: And I dont usually go around slapping D1 Football/Basketball players either...but I would. Sorry.

And no I haven't submitted yet to Stanford and Yale, but have to other schools. But would seem weird checking off different races to different schools. And yes I know that checking off African American would give me a bigger boost. Just wasn't trying to take that from someone who is actually African American and could add actual diversity of that ethnicity to the campus.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 pm

For the URM thing, check the URM forum. I think there is a consensus on splitting URM designation, and when it causes issues.

As for D1, the two examples that I know of (both football at traditionally ranked schools) destroyed their numbers. Just make sure you write all about the time-management skills that you had to develop.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:

Oh man, if I could I'd slap you. NA and Black? Those softs probably outweigh the D1. And a 175. You'll get one of HYSC.

But if you haven't submitted I would definitely go back and check that off.

Does anyone know if the OP can email the schools and let them know that he omitted his AA because he thought that you had to be 50%+ or something?

Edit: And I dont usually go around slapping D1 Football/Basketball players either...but I would. Sorry.

And no I haven't submitted yet to Stanford and Yale, but have to other schools. But would seem weird checking off different races to different schools. And yes I know that checking off African American would give me a bigger boost. Just wasn't trying to take that from someone who is actually African American and could add actual diversity of that ethnicity to the campus.

I think you made the right choice. 100%. If you don't identify with AA and feel that way then your decision makes sense. If you felt the need to put down AA that would have worked too. Your boost from NA will still be large, especially with a well written DS.

I hope you get all three of HYS. GL.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Black Native American with a 175 trumps being a chill Midwestern bro.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 pm

SemperLegal wrote:For the URM thing, check the URM forum. I think there is a consensus on splitting URM designation, and when it causes issues.

As for D1, the two examples that I know of (both football at traditionally ranked schools) destroyed their numbers. Just make sure you write all about the time-management skills that you had to develop.

Thanks for the info. Neither my personal statement or diversity statement talks about my athletics. Maybe I need to figure a way to fit it in. Also, do you mean that they did much better than an average applicant with their numbers when you say that they "destroyed their numbers"?
Last edited by Hjones33 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:For the URM thing, check the URM forum. I think there is a consensus on splitting URM designation, and when it causes issues.

Thanks for the info. Neither my personal statement or diversity statement talks about my athletics. Maybe I need to figure a way to fit it in. Also, do you mean that they did much better than an average applicant with their numbers did when you say they "destroyed their numbers"?

Have I watched you play on T.V? I'm feeling starstruck.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Neither my personal statement or diversity statement talks about my athletics. Maybe I need to figure a way to fit it in. Also, do you mean that they did much better than an average applicant with their numbers did when you say they "destroyed their numbers"?

Have I watched you play on T.V? I'm feeling starstruck.

Lol, maybe, but there is a reason why I am applying to law school and not still playing sports.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
Lol, maybe, but there is a reason why I am applying to law school and not still playing sports.

For the bitches?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm

1. Division 1 Athlete is nice, but it doesn't matter too much.
2. NA URM is much more important than your softs.
3. Don't call Stanford, "Stanny". Come on.
4. You're in at Harvard, good shot at Stanford, and low shot at Yale. Yale is less forgiving with the GPA than S or H.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:1. Division 1 Athlete is nice, but it doesn't matter too much.
4. You're in at Harvard, good shot at Stanford, and low shot at Yale. Yale is less forgiving with the GPA than S or H.

Gracias. How can you not like Stanny? Sounds classy to me.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

On what basis do you make this claim?

coldweather

Postby coldweather » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 pm

If only schools really cared about diversity like you do. They would like putting it in their stats that you are AA (they'd be disappointed if you didn't report it haha).

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm

coldweather wrote:If only schools really cared about diversity like you do. They would like putting it in their stats that you are AA (they'd be disappointed if you didn't report it haha).

They would have to put down biracial. If you list more than one race it counts as a student of color, URM isn't a stat. I know people that have gotten full URM benefits being multiracial with a good DS. I know some URMS that got marginal benefits for not having a diversity statement. It would seem they do care about the diversity.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 am

Elston Gunn wrote:

On what basis do you make this claim?

It's only anecdotal, but I haven't met any former D1 athletes at H or S that weren't otherwise LSAT/GPA competitive. None of them have been D1 on a money making squad, but I can't see being D1 at Auburn vs. D1 at Northwestern making a difference.

I can't speak to Yale, nor can really anyone considering it's up to the individual professors at Y to make a decision on how much they want to weight that factor (minus Asha's 60 personal admits).

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:06 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gator_Law

Postby Gator_Law » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Enjoy Yale

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 pm

Gator_Law wrote:Enjoy Yale

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Really? The assistant dean from HLS came to my school last year and I remember her using an example of one student who was accepted below the GPA and LSAT medians who was an NCAA swimming champion or something.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Honestly being NA/AA is probably better than curing cancer...don't worry about your softs.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Agreed that the URM AA/NA is better than any soft you could have.

As for the D1 football at a BCS school, that carries a lot of weight I have been told. I play D1 football too, though its only FCS, and everyone I have talked too (both advisors we've had at my school, one admissions lady from a T-14, and a kid from my school whose at Stanford now and played D1 tennis) have told me its viewed as a very good soft. Its not gonna make up for subpar numbers, but its viewed very positively. However, i think it definitely has to show up and be emphasized on your application somewhere, preferably in your PS.

I think you're a lock for HS, and have a solid shot at Yale.

Return to “What are my chances?”