2.77 GPA LSAT 159

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sweetlady75

2.77 GPA LSAT 159

Postby Sweetlady75 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:02 am

I will be applying to the following schools.. What are my chances?

Fordham
Rutgers-Newark
Hofstra
Brooklyn
U of Conn.

My undergraduated degree was accounting from a HBCU. I am a URM. Non-traditional student -I have been out of undergrad for 13 years and have been working the entire time. I have a MBA in Finance.

Nova

Re: 2.77 GPA LSAT 159

Postby Nova » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 am

What kind of URM? Makes a difference.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:18 am

I'm African American

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:I'm African American

Strongly consider retaking the LSAT or not going. The odds are significantly higher you are making more money right now than you would be with a law degree from those schools. This doesn't even factor in debt.

Unless you're employer wants you to get a law degree so that you can do a specific job for them this is in all likelihood a poor investment.

I took the exam for the first time October 2012 . I'm scheduled to re-take the exam December 1st. My PTs have all been in the low 160s, therefore I figured I will probably score around a 162 which is just 3 points higher than my present score. I'm having trouble with timing on the LG and RC sections.

But You are correct, I do not want to incur a huge amount of debt at this stage of my life. Also, I I do want a return on my investment. That's the reason why my preference is Rutgers-Newark. I know that it's considered a T2, but the tuition is half the amount of the other schools. I did alittle research on them and it seems that the school is respected in the area and their Minority Student program could open doors for you as well. Many of the graduates have landed jobs at prestigious firms.
Fordham is actually a much better school but my chances are not as great with my PTs scores and horrible GPA... Also, the debt coming out of there is huge.

No, my employer does not require that I get a law degree. Not going to law school is not an option for me. I am currently an accountant and am now done with that profession. I have decided to pursue my passion and life, so I hope you are incorrect in your assessment of making less upon completion.

But hey...Maybe I will score a 170...and all the schools will be knocking down my door and throwing money at me... LOL ( a girl can dream?)

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Definitely retake. Are you only open to applying to law schools in NY/NJ??

If not, if you can land an LSAT score in at least the mid 160s or higher, you should send an application out to Northwestern and WUSTL.

NW makes exceptions for applicants with sub 3.0 GPAs provided you have good work experience...which you do.

My honest advice: remove Hofstra, Brooklyn and UConn from your list. You can do way better.

As for Rutgers, I say only attend if you get a decent scholarship. Yes, they do place well in some NYC BIGLAW firms for minority students, but you have to bring it with respect to 1L grades.

Good luck with the start to your second career/life. Also, check your PM. :)

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:Also, I I do want a return on my investment. That's the reason why my preference is Rutgers-Newark. I know that it's considered a T2, but the tuition is half the amount of the other schools. I did alittle research on them and it seems that the school is respected in the area and their Minority Student program could open doors for you as well. Many of the graduates have landed jobs at prestigious firms.

RU-N is cheaper, which is good, but the chances of landing a job at a prestigious firm from there are very low. Maybe the top 10% have a fighting chance. You can't look at people who graduated before 2010 if you're trying to estimate your likelihood of getting a big firm job because the numbers have dropped drastically for recent classes, especially when you get outside the very tippy-top schools.

The other thing to keep in mind is that law doesn't have a lot of middle ground. For the most part, it is $100K+ or less than $50K, which includes lots of people making nothing because they are unemployed or volunteering and hoping to get their foot in the door. It is bleak.

What this all adds up to, if a return on your investment is important to you, is maximize your LSAT score (do you really think 162 is the best you can do?) and apply widely to compare scholarship/aid packages. If you can make law school cheap through scholarships, then a $50K job may not be terrible (although if I were you, I'd stick with accounting in that case). You have an interesting background with lots of work experience + URM, so your low GPA may not be the end of the world if you can get that LSAT up. Aim for 170 even if it means waiting a year. This is worth doing right. Good luck!

Sweetlady75

Postby Sweetlady75 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:Also, I I do want a return on my investment. That's the reason why my preference is Rutgers-Newark. I know that it's considered a T2, but the tuition is half the amount of the other schools. I did alittle research on them and it seems that the school is respected in the area and their Minority Student program could open doors for you as well. Many of the graduates have landed jobs at prestigious firms.

RU-N is cheaper, which is good, but the chances of landing a job at a prestigious firm from there are very low. Maybe the top 10% have a fighting chance. You can't look at people who graduated before 2010 if you're trying to estimate your likelihood of getting a big firm job because the numbers have dropped drastically for recent classes, especially when you get outside the very tippy-top schools.

The other thing to keep in mind is that law doesn't have a lot of middle ground. For the most part, it is $100K+ or less than $50K, which includes lots of people making nothing because they are unemployed or volunteering and hoping to get their foot in the door. It is bleak.

What this all adds up to, if a return on your investment is important to you, is maximize your LSAT score (do you really think 162 is the best you can do?) and apply widely to compare scholarship/aid packages. If you can make law school cheap through scholarships, then a $50K job may not be terrible (although if I were you, I'd stick with accounting in that case). You have an interesting background with lots of work experience + URM, so your low GPA may not be the end of the world if you can get that LSAT up. Aim for 170 even if it means waiting a year. This is worth doing right. Good luck!

No, 162 is not the best I can do, but I have my heart set on starting school in the Fall so I was willing to settle for it. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do. I don’t want to make the wrong decision due to impatience. Thank you all for the advice.

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

ohhhhh sweet lady.

I have 2 words. Retake/Reapply

AA with experience, 165 + may have solid shot at NorthwesTTTern.

Get er done.

Return to “What are my chances?”