Percentile Question..chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jhd125

Percentile Question..chances?

Postby jhd125 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am

LSAT above the 25th percentile for most of my schools, but 1-2 points below the median. GPA at/above the median. Chances for acceptance?

ScottRiqui

Re: Percentile Question..chances?

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 am

Without further specifics, I think any of the online predictors will give you results at least as good as anything you'll get here.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Without further specifics, I think any of the online predictors will give you results at least as good as anything you'll get here.

Also, a lot of times with borderline numbers like these, it's more about your chance for scholarship that would make an admittance worth accepting.

yiruri83

Postby yiruri83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:44 am

Do schools offer scholarships to borderline students??

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am

yiruri83 wrote:Do schools offer scholarships to borderline students??

Depends on the circumstances and the school. This thread is pretty much useless without more information.

yiruri83

Postby yiruri83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

I received 169 (2nd LSAT) with gpa 3.53. I applied to GULC regular and thinking about changing it to ED. Do I have any chances of getting some scholarship if staying as regular or should I change it to ED and forget about scholarship at all?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

yiruri83 wrote:I received 169 (2nd LSAT) with gpa 3.53. I applied to GULC regular and thinking about changing it to ED. Do I have any chances of getting some scholarship if staying as regular or should I change it to ED and forget about scholarship at all?

Did you apply to any other T14's or WUSTL or Vandy? While it looks like you only have a 26-ish% chance at GULC, if you control for time of application, your chances look a lot better.

This cycle is going to be more unpredictable than previous ones, and GULC at sticker is a scary proposition.

yiruri83

Postby yiruri83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

I also applied to UVA since I live in VA and I heard that UVA is choosing 40% of their incoming classes from VA residents. Hoping this boosts my chances...I also applied to GW, UCLA and Duke (waitlisted on Saturday). Because I got "waitlisted" on Duke, I'm starting to get nervous on other schools I applied to.

Also, why would you say going to GULC at sticker would be a scary move?? If I want to change my regular application to ED, which one would be a better choice in between UVA and GULC?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm

yiruri83 wrote:I also applied to UVA since I live in VA and I heard that UVA is choosing 40% of their incoming classes from VA residents. Hoping this boosts my chances...I also applied to GW, UCLA and Duke (waitlisted on Saturday). Because I got "waitlisted" on Duke, I'm starting to get nervous on other schools I applied to.

Also, why would you say going to GULC at sticker would be a scary move?? If I want to change my regular application to ED, which one would be a better choice in between UVA and GULC?

Definitely UVA. While everyone has different risk aversions, UVA offers a much better chance of landing a job that will pay off that debt. And UVA is a guaranteed decision within 15 days.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=uva

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc

ETA: Your chances of getting UVA ED aren't great, but they also aren't nill

yiruri83

Postby yiruri83 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I see. Thanks for your posts!!

willwash

Postby willwash » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 am

yiruri83 wrote:I see. Thanks for your posts!!

Don't underestimate the admissions boost given to VA residents...taken from their own website:

They received 7,882 nonresident applications and only 678 Virginia resident applications. 368 students matriculated in the class of 2013 (so this is a few years old but the principles are still just as valid)...40%, or roughly 147, were Virginia residents. And that's actual in-state matriculants...you can safely assume that at least some VA residents were offered admission and ultimately declined. Conservatively I'd say you could bump the number of in-state admission offers to 170, yielding an in-state acceptance rate of about 25%.

Now, I'm sure that some self-screening goes on, but you'd only have to be in the top quarter of all applicants if you're in-state.

Let's compare that to the out of state data. 7,882 applicants competed for 221 out-of-state slots in the class...again, more are offered admission than matriculate but I didn't see that they'd published the number of admissions offers made. But let's be generous and say they made 500 offers of admission to out of state applicants...so 7,882 applicants competed for 500 offers of admission...that's an acceptance rate of 6 percent.

Their overall acceptance rate (not broken down into in/out of state) was 10.8%...I'm sure a math wizard could take this data and algebra it out and tell you the in-state and out-of state acceptance rates from this...but the precise numbers aren't important. It's easier by nearly an order of magnitude for in state applicants.

Return to “What are my chances?”