2.48/170 Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PeanutsNJam

Gold

2.48/170 Chances?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm currently a senior and my grades this year will be higher, so GPA is ~2.5 to be safe.

I'm planning on retaking the LSAT because I under prepared and took it right before midterms. However, my mom demands that I apply anyway. What are some schools that I have even the slightest chance of getting into? I'm not interested in 50/50's or anything, I'm talking 5-10% chance. I'm going to retake anyway so it can't hurt to throw applications and hope for a miracle.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: 2.48/170 Chances?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm currently a senior and my grades this year will be higher, so GPA is ~2.5 to be safe.

I'm planning on retaking the LSAT because I under prepared and took it right before midterms. However, my mom demands that I apply anyway. What are some schools that I have even the slightest chance of getting into? I'm not interested in 50/50's or anything, I'm talking 5-10% chance. I'm going to retake anyway so it can't hurt to throw applications and hope for a miracle.

Lolwut. Broski or Babinski, time to cut dat cord.

I think you have an outside shot at NU or GULC with ED applications, especially if you can get a higher LSAT, but not positive. Other than that I believe you have shot at WUSTL and some other T25ish schools. Or enjoy scholly at some of your local TTTs, if they don't ding you just on account of GPA. Write a GPA addendum.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 pm

NU ED is now for a full ride, no chance ED there, have a prayer RD, but with no WE that's iffy. However, another 3 LSAT points would vastly improve optionschances at a few T14 (Cornell, GU and NU). Otherwsise, WUSTL with 15k a year scholly.
Lawquacious wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm currently a senior and my grades this year will be higher, so GPA is ~2.5 to be safe.

Lolwut. Broski or Babinski, time to cut dat cord.

I think you have an outside shot at NU or GULC with ED applications, especially if you can get a higher LSAT, but not positive. Other than that I believe you have shot at WUSTL and some other T25ish schools. Or enjoy scholly at some of your local TTTs, if they don't ding you just on account of GPA. Write a GPA addendum.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Definitely retake the LSAT and shoot for a 173-175+.

Also, take two years of work experience if you don't get into anything worthwhile this year (aka T14). Try to get a high impact, prestigious job for that time (or something that sounds good in a personal statement). It'll give you some distance from your undergraduate years, and can make a GPA addendum look more sincere.

As it stands, you have a small shot at Texas, WashU, Minnesota, and Washington & Lee.

So retake and reapply.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 am

What do you guys think of vanderbilt/boston u/boston college/the 14-25 range?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

post hoc

New

Post by post hoc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 am

you have a better chance at vanderbilt and boston college than you would at boston university, but it doesn't look good at any of these. nor does it look good at most the rest of 14 - 25. you have a good chance at bloomington.

if you haven't looked at this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=162680 -- it is very helpful.

the more important question might be where you want to practice, and if your target is biglaw/equivalent, or not.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Had similar stats and (2.6/170) and got 25k at WUSTL. Got full rides and etc from T2, but nothing I was really interested in.

You can get GW and Fordham if you work to get off their waitlist (probably won't give you a seat straight up)

Other than that, you can pick up strong regional. Got into the likes of CU, U Wash. You may have a shot of Vandy, but I didn't want to live in Nashville, so didn't apply

Look at areas you want to live in, then look for feeder schools.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Doorkeeper wrote: As it stands, you have a small shot at Texas, WashU, Minnesota, and Washington & Lee.
OP probably has a better chance at UVA than at Texas, only in that his/her chances at UVA would be non-zero. Texas is not even remotely splitter-friendly. And OP's chances at WUSTL would actually be quite strong, since they essentially stop caring about GPA once an applicant hits 168 or above.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 pm

post hoc wrote:you have a better chance at vanderbilt and boston college than you would at boston university, but it doesn't look good at any of these. nor does it look good at most the rest of 14 - 25. you have a good chance at bloomington.

Not so sure about this, but perhaps if BU has a rule that they absolutely never accept sub-3.0s you might be right. With a 2.48 and 170 I don't see OP having a realistic shot at Vandy (maaybe 1-5% chance at best would be my guess), but then again they are more splitter friendly than some peer schools (e.g. UCLA).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:You can get GW and Fordham if you work to get off their waitlist (probably won't give you a seat straight up)
Fordham won't take a 2.5. Not even for evening. Unless, you know, OP is a nobel prize winning Olympic athlete. They are SRS about GPA.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:44 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:You can get GW and Fordham if you work to get off their waitlist (probably won't give you a seat straight up)
Fordham won't take a 2.5. Not even for evening. Unless, you know, OP is a nobel prize winning Olympic athlete. They are SRS about GPA.
Not true, I was on the waitlist there, and then in June or July, started asking if I was still interested. I just said no, since I had already made plans to move to St. Louis, plus would be about 100k more than Wash U.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”