166/3.38

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
reyals

166/3.38

Postby reyals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Against my better judgment I am posting one of these.

I scored a 166 on the October LSAT. I go to a terrible school in the midwest and this is the best score of anyone I know who has taken it. I know, I know retake retake but I don't think I have it in me.

My GPA is currently at a 3.38. I'm pretty unhappy with this because although my college GPA has consistently been at or above a 3.6, I took some college class starting my junior year of high school which have come back to bite me in the ass. Don't take Calculus when you're 17 kids, it isn't worth it. Anyways I expect it to rise to at least a 3.4 after this semesters grades go out.

The pessimism (or perhaps realism) of this board has slashed my hopes at the T14, UCLA, or really anything in the top 20. I am now looking towards schools like UC Davis and Fordham as options, and anything lower than that if I can grab a great scholarship. I am applying next week and plan to throw applications in a broad variety of places up until the deadline.

So, let's hear that advice that predicts doom and terror for me, TLS. Where should I apply?

Nova

Re: 166/3.38

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm

You down to stay in the midwest? Consider Wisc/Ill/Ind/Iowa. Good shot at all of em with the potential for some $. Reach to WUSTL in case their median stays at 166 and UMN/ND in case their median falls too 166. Try to get fee waivers first.

reyals

Postby reyals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Nova wrote:You down to stay in the midwest? Consider Wisc/Ill/Ind/Iowa. Good shot at all of em with the potential for some $. Reach to WUSTL in case their median stays at 166 and UMN/ND in case their median falls too 166. Try to get fee waivers first.

I'd rather get out if I can. UW-Madison stays on my list because 16k in-state tuition.

edit: Oh and my inbox is full of waivers. Mostly from schools from the bottom of the ranking list but a few notables such as Emory, William and Mary etc. have popped in there as well. Got an email from University of Chicago yesterday, thought that was funny.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 pm

reyals wrote:I'd rather get out if I can.

Well where do you want to go? the south? north east?

reyals

Postby reyals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Nova wrote:
reyals wrote:I'd rather get out if I can.

Well where do you want to go? the south? north east?

East or West of center of course. I've visited UC Davis and liked King Hall quite a bit. Fordham seems to be the only NY school that is worth it since Columbia and NYU are out of the picture. I'm tempted to apply to Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern but I realize there is no chance. UT-Austin or USC, I might fair a little better. Boston University seems worth a shot. Emory would be an option if they decided to throw a little $ my way.

I want to go to the best school possible, same as everyone.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 pm

T20 is very unlikely since you are below both medians.

F/E/BU/BC/UCD/UCI all seem like legit targets.

http://myLSN.info/1188be

reyals

Postby reyals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Nova wrote:T20 is very unlikely since you are below both medians.

F/E/BU/BC/UCD/UCI all seem like legit targets.

http://myLSN.info/1188be

Reading about UC Irvine today, seems like they are really emphasizing public interest and volunteering experience, which I don't have. Still worth applying to I guess, application is free.

Law School Calc has my chances at T30 around 50-30% at each school, T20 25-10%, T14 7-0%. I feel like that's a realistic assessment. I suppose there aren't any real standout schools in the T30, the fact that there are so many tied bothers me for some reason.

Return to “What are my chances?”