If I work for 2-3 years at Google....

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
charlesacar

If I work for 2-3 years at Google....

Postby charlesacar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:49 am

I am graduating with a triple major, double minor, leadership certification and baccalaureate honors specialization.

I will have a 3.58 GPA and I have a 165 lsat.

I am a URM.

As far as activities, I did everything you could do with 4 years in college (including literally nursing African orphans, and building trenches in Belize) except play a sport and be class president.

I accepted a Job offer with Google's Legal team and was planning to work there for 2-3 years.

Just wondering, will working first make my GPA have less weight and give me a boost?

My dream school is Duke and I am wondering what my chances are looking like for a top 15 school.

P.S. If you could keep the snarkyness to a minimum I am sure you will be rewarded in internet karma points.

P.P.S. If you care: Majors-Economics, Global Studies, Political Science. Minors-History, Philosophy.

NoodleyOne

Re: If I work for 2-3 years at Google....

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 am

What type of URM? URMs are hard to predict but I think you have a good shot at t14, especially with your softs.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 am

Off-topic: Why do you want to go to law school? Clearly sounds like you're capable of doing big things without the legal degree.

On-topic: with those numbers and w/e, a true URM should have a great shot at Duke. Like the poster above said though, 'URM' is a pretty fluid category in the context of law school admissions.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 am

Go work for Google's legal team and ask them if you should go to law school.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Go work for Google's legal team and ask them if you should go to law school.

This. I don't see how you could lose. Not to mention, if they like you, then you could always go back and work in-house for them later.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I can't say enough how valuable it is to get work experience before law school. There is a huge divide of my friends that have gone to law schools, even T14 law schools. The ones with OCI offers are either above median, or have decent work experience prior. That said, worst comes to worst, you have a pretty sweet fallback option if Google decides to have you back in their general counsel, which in my opinion is actually better than biglaw.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

How did you get my dream in-house job without even going to lawschool? wtf son

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Solid shot at CCN, especially if AA.

charlesacar

Postby charlesacar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm

I am a Puerto Rican male. I don't know if that makes me a more desirable URM or not.

NoodleyOne wrote:What type of URM? URMs are hard to predict but I think you have a good shot at t14, especially with your softs.

charlesacar

Postby charlesacar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Just to clarify I will be working as a legal assistant. And I just interned with them and didn't mess up too bad = ).

sinfiery wrote:How did you get my dream in-house job without even going to lawschool? wtf son

charlesacar

Postby charlesacar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Law School was always the plan. Google was an unexpected pit stop. And I will be working as a legal assistant, which I am more than happy to be for now but I don't know what upward mobility would look like for me without an advanced degree.

patrickd139 wrote:Off-topic: Why do you want to go to law school? Clearly sounds like you're capable of doing big things without the legal degree.

On-topic: with those numbers and w/e, a true URM should have a great shot at Duke. Like the poster above said though, 'URM' is a pretty fluid category in the context of law school admissions.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:48 pm

As of right now, you're in at NYU. You have a shot at Berkeley. You're about 50-60% shot at getting in at Michigan and Duke. Chances are good that if accepted you would get a scholarship at NYU and Duke.

See: http://myLSN.info/lvtfrp

This being said, work experience is always a plus both in the application process, and in the hiring process, and you may prefer to work in the real world before you go back to school.

Return to “What are my chances?”