NA URM 159/varying GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
elcee1987

NA URM 159/varying GPA

Postby elcee1987 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey, I need your input:

My October score is 159. (embarrassing. I was shooting for mid-160s, but I've had a crazy semester.)

My LSAC GPA is 2.46, but my graduating GPA (and my GPA for the last 2 years) is 3.69. I got a full slate of failing grades in 2007 one semester because I withdrew for medical reasons late in the semester, causing my low GPA. Otherwise, I've kept up a solid 3.6-3.8 GPA since then.

I'm Native American, an enrolled tribal member, president of the Native American Heritage Association at my school, and I plan on studying Indian Law.

I don't want to go to a T14 school or anywhere on the east coast. I really want to get into University of New Mexico, but have Lewis and Clark or University of Montana as fallbacks.

Should I retake the LSAT? If I retake it in December, I really don't know that I'll be able to improve my score vastly since I don't have much time, and February feels a little late for this cycle. I'm considering just applying this year, and then if I don't for some reason get in anywhere, retaking the LSAT for next year's cycle. Thoughts?

elcee1987

Re: NA URM 159/varying GPA

Postby elcee1987 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:14 am

Aww. No one? Really I just need reassurance that there is a chance

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 am

Yes, retake. With that LSAC GPA, try and get into the mid-160s.

elcee1987

Re: NA URM 159/varying GPA want to go to UNM

Postby elcee1987 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 am

I know that "retake" is the norm here on TLS, but being on the quarter system, I withdrew my December LSAT registration so I can focus on school (final projects, final tests, final presentations, for EACH CLASS, plus ending extracurricular events). Plus, I'm really dreading the thought of trying to study for the February LSAT while taking 16 credits next semester.

If I don't retake, and just keep the 159 LSAT, that keeps me above the 75th percentile at University of New Mexico (152-156-158). How badly do you guys think my GPA will hurt me if it's been a significant improvement? I got the slew of Fs in 2007 from not withdrawing in time, and then since returning to school in 2011, I've kept an average GPA of about 3.7. Any UNM applicants with experience care to input?

am8zing

Postby am8zing » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am

Why not try to get a retroactive withdrawal?

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 pm

elcee1987 wrote:Hey, I need your input:

My October score is 159. (embarrassing. I was shooting for mid-160s, but I've had a crazy semester.)

My LSAC GPA is 2.46, but my graduating GPA (and my GPA for the last 2 years) is 3.69. I got a full slate of failing grades in 2007 one semester because I withdrew for medical reasons late in the semester, causing my low GPA. Otherwise, I've kept up a solid 3.6-3.8 GPA since then.

I'm Native American, an enrolled tribal member, president of the Native American Heritage Association at my school, and I plan on studying Indian Law.

I don't want to go to a T14 school or anywhere on the east coast. I really want to get into University of New Mexico, but have Lewis and Clark or University of Montana as fallbacks.

Should I retake the LSAT? If I retake it in December, I really don't know that I'll be able to improve my score vastly since I don't have much time, and February feels a little late for this cycle. I'm considering just applying this year, and then if I don't for some reason get in anywhere, retaking the LSAT for next year's cycle. Thoughts?

URM with 159 = IN at New Mexy with a nice scholarship. Profits.

Return to “What are my chances?”