I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noodle64322
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:43 pm

I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby noodle64322 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 pm

I've been searching around the forums, for a while, and noticed that people generally agree on the following: a non-URM with my numbers and decent softs should get into one of the T14 schools, so long as you have a good spread of applications. Although most people seem to agree that the retake is worth the financial aid, I would not mind attending a school at full price (if I graduate and land a decent job, after a T14 education, I should make enough money to compensate for the lack of financial aid; the alternative would be to invest a year into studying and working a low-income job - it seems to balance).


My number-one choice, right now, is the University of Michigan. However, I am afraid that, with my numbers, I can't count on getting into their university. I would like to increase my overall odds of being accepted at a T14 school, but without committing to an ED application - do you think my chances at U of M are high enough to risk applying RD, at all of the T14 schools, and still land one admission, or would I be better off applying ED, to UVA (given that it is the only school for which I will still make the ED deadline)?

Any input would be appreciated!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby helix23 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 pm

noodle64322 wrote:I've been searching around the forums, for a while, and noticed that people generally agree on the following: a non-URM with my numbers and decent softs should get into one of the T14 schools, so long as you have a good spread of applications. Although most people seem to agree that the retake is worth the financial aid, I would not mind attending a school at full price (if I graduate and land a decent job, after a T14 education, I should make enough money to compensate for the lack of financial aid; the alternative would be to invest a year into studying and working a low-income job - it seems to balance).


This is not a good plan. That GPA is too good to throw away. With your stats you're looking at few to no acceptances in the T14. You might be able to swing Cornell http://myLSN.info/duafk6, but overall you're chances are slim. And anything you do get will almost certainly be at sticker or close to it. And the employment statistics you get are too risky to be $250,000 in debt. If you take on that kind of debt, you need Biglaw. It will be very hard for you to get that/maintain it.


noodle64322 wrote:My number-one choice, right now, is the University of Michigan. However, I am afraid that, with my numbers, I can't count on getting into their university. I would like to increase my overall odds of being accepted at a T14 school, but without committing to an ED application - do you think my chances at U of M are high enough to risk applying RD, at all of the T14 schools, and still land one admission, or would I be better off applying ED, to UVA (given that it is the only school for which I will still make the ED deadline)?


If you want to increase your odds at T14 without ED then retake the LSAT.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby goldenflash19 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 pm

noodle64322 wrote:Although most people seem to agree that the retake is worth the financial aid, I would not mind attending a school at full price (if I graduate and land a decent job, after a T14 education, I should make enough money to compensate for the lack of financial aid;


The bolded is a pretty big IF ITE, especially since it would cost you a quarter-million dollars at sticker to take that chance. UM has a 34% large firm score on LST. Retaking could help eliminate the financial risk of attending law school and potentially open up HYS CCN because of your GPA. You could also gain work experience if you sit out a cycle and benefit at OCI.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby sinfiery » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:25 am

I believe the fundamental thinking here is that it is much easier to control your LSAT score and thus scholarship money than it is to control your job prospects coming out of LS regardless of school, but especially past HYS and maybe CCN.


So retake. And if you have any money saved up, travel. Or something. Abuse your youth. Having minimal responsibilities whilst still being young has a very big value all in it's own. Don't forget that, but focus on your LSAT first and get the work done.

noodle64322
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby noodle64322 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks for the responses! I will keep these all in mind, as I move along, in the application process. I've already put a lot of thought into it, and it has me rethinking my "plan."

Out of curiosity, is there a minimum LSAT score, to qualify for scholarships, at T14? At T30? I'm thinking it may just be the median LSAT, but that would just be a guess.

WalkingPlato
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby WalkingPlato » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:10 pm

No way you'll only get into one or two T14. You have a 3.95, which is at or better than 75% of admits at any school except maybe H or Y, though you're only .01 or so away from their 75%. Your 166 is at 25% of a lot of T14 schools and even above that at some, especially now with applications being down. And if you get into some of the T14, your stats wouldn't make you pay full price. You'd get at least some $ at the lower T14. I don't advise to apply to top schools, though.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: I have a decision to make (166 LSAT, 3.95 cumulative GPA)...

Postby helix23 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:10 pm

For your reference and in case you haven't seen it, there's another active thread for someone with your numbers http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=197079 right now




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], maybeman, musiclover123, UVA2B and 1 guest