3.51/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
milkisforbabies

3.51/170

Postby milkisforbabies » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 am

October LSAT was a 170, and I have a 3.51 from a non-HYP Ivy in Econ and History.

Less important facts: Strong upward grade trend, 2 years as a Biglaw paralegal in NYC, a year teaching overseas, solid recs, okay PS, have only been working part-time for the past year.

Obviously I’m screwed at the top 6/ Boalt, but I might still send one to NYU. I know MVP and Duke are long-shots as well, so I’m targeting Northwestern, Cornell, Gtown, UCLA, and Texas (and hoping that a low number of test takers helps).

My apps are ready to go, but I haven’t written any of the “Why X?” essays or really given much thought to submitting an ED application (since I don’t like the idea of being locked into a school where I don’t even have a glimmer of hope for a scholly). Is this a mistake?

Foreigner_Rocks

Re: 3.51/170

Postby Foreigner_Rocks » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 am

milkisforbabies wrote:October LSAT was a 170, and I have a 3.51 from a non-HYP Ivy in Econ and History.

Less important facts: Strong upward grade trend, 2 years as a Biglaw paralegal in NYC, a year teaching overseas, solid recs, okay PS, have only been working part-time for the past year.

Obviously I’m screwed at the top 6/ Boalt, but I might still send one to NYU. I know MVP and Duke are long-shots as well, so I’m targeting Northwestern, Cornell, Gtown, UCLA, and Texas (and hoping that a low number of test takers helps).

My apps are ready to go, but I haven’t written any of the “Why X?” essays or really given much thought to submitting an ED application (since I don’t like the idea of being locked into a school where I don’t even have a glimmer of hope for a scholly). Is this a mistake?

I think you are being far too pessimistic. I was 3.5/171 and snagged everything 5-14 except Berkeley. MVP are definitely in play and more likely than not. Send off a great application, write the why essays, and be ready to write WL essays/LOCI's. If I were you, I'd ED to a reach [Chicago/NYU] because although you won't get in, it'll look good after the impending WL.

Happy to help you via PM with any questions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Two years of work experience should help outside of the top 3, in my opinion.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 am

You're got a shot at NYU, Penn, UVA, and the rest on down. Throw an app to Chicago and Columbia just to get on the WL if you're interested in them.

milkisforbabies

Postby milkisforbabies » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely be writing the "Why" essays, and if Foreigner Rocks (great band) has any general application advice/ anything that you think set you apart, I'd love to hear it. If not, I really appreciate the PM offer.

So I think I'm going to re-take in December. I sent in my app for Cornell EA a few days ago, and I'm planning on getting everything in for Northwestern, Gtown, UCLA, and Texas in the next few days. Unfortunately, my impending re-take has me a little confused as to the optimal timing to send my apps in for the rest.

Would it be better to wait on MVP until I have my December score? Or send in my apps now, and hope that they don't outright reject me? And would it still make sense to apply ED to NYU (Nov. 15 deadline) or Chicago (Dec. 1) if I'm re-taking in December?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 pm

So, I had the same stats as you and applied last cycle. I was ED to NYU - rolled to RD - WL - accepted in the late summer. I was also accepted at Mich, Cornell, and GT. WL at Penn (though people with similar stats did get in RD) and Columbia. I did not apply to Virginia, Duke, NU, or Chicago.

Retaking is a good idea if you think you it's likely you'll improve. Otherwise I think you can do decently this cycle with your current stats and a strong overall application considering that applications continue to be down. Good luck!

milkisforbabies

Postby milkisforbabies » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 pm

That's pretty encouraging, Killingly (great avatar, btw).

I posted a "Should I re-take thread?" after I got my October score, and there seemed to be a small consensus that I re-take. Even though I don't like the idea of going through the test/ waiting period again, I had consistently been in the 176-178 range in my PTs (I took PTs 50-56 and 62-64 in the last two weeks before the test, and went 177-178-179 on the last three).

I know only have about three weeks left to sharpen up, but I’m thinking I should be more systematic this time around. My entire study strategy the first time was to take as many PTs as I could (I started around PT 30). I used the Powerscore LG Bible, and bought their LR Bible but didn’t use it.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 pm

milkisforbabies wrote:That's pretty encouraging, Killingly (great avatar, btw).

I posted a "Should I re-take thread?" after I got my October score, and there seemed to be a small consensus that I re-take. Even though I don't like the idea of going through the test/ waiting period again, I had consistently been in the 176-178 range in my PTs (I took PTs 50-56 and 62-64 in the last two weeks before the test, and went 177-178-179 on the last three).

I know only have about three weeks left to sharpen up, but I’m thinking I should be more systematic this time around. My entire study strategy the first time was to take as many PTs as I could (I started around PT 30). I used the Powerscore LG Bible, and bought their LR Bible but didn’t use it.

Before June, I was PT'ing consistently 175+, got a 170 like you. The second time around I didn't really study new techniques or anything; I just practiced (a lot). Especially RC, which was the section that gave me trouble in June. I felt a lot more confident going into October, not that I was necessarily more versed in the material. I got a 176.

blah blah blah, just study the section(s) that gave you the most trouble in October until you feel confident enough to know that you're going to kill it in December and you will.

milkisforbabies

Postby milkisforbabies » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks, florida. I've been drilling a bunch and hoping this will translate into more confidence in December.

Anybody have any more insight/ advice on waiting to send apps into MVP now vs. waiting for my December score to come out? Or with trying to ED to Chicago with a pending re-take?

Return to “What are my chances?”