URM - LSAT 153 GPA 2.49 + Interesting Personal Story

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
technomedic

URM - LSAT 153 GPA 2.49 + Interesting Personal Story

Postby technomedic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I am a first generation American of African and Japanese descent. I started my bachelors at a state university, at the end of my second semester I was arrested for sale of cannabis out of my dorm room. I was asked to withdraw from the university in exchange for my situation to not be put in front of a university judicial board. Legally I plead no contest to a Class 4 Felony with 2 years probation and community service. Upon completion, the charges were vacated and expungement is now an option.

While successfully completing probation and community service I founded, and still run, a small business medical and dental IT company and completed an A.A. degree with a 3.7/4 GPA from a well reputed community college, graduating as a member of a nationwide honors society.

Using this change in direction, I was accepted to a 4 year state university's school of engineering and will be graduating this coming Spring (2013) having a B.S. in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics with a 2.9/4 GPA as a member of a nationally recognized 4 year honors engineering society. I want to pursue IP using my scholarly and professional experience. Since I began probation I have only had one speeding ticket and no other legal troubles.

Due to the withdrawal from my first university, I have 30 credits worth of zeros in my GPA making my LSAC cumulative GPA 2.49/4. I have a 153 LSAT score and I am STRONGLY considering taking the December 2012 LSAT to strengthen my score.

I will have 3 LORs from:
1) Polysci Professor of mine who is a practicing attorney in Illinois where I'm hoping to end up.

2) Computer Science Professor of mine with a Ph. D. in Computer Science and in Chemical Engineering. I took only 300/400 level technical courses with him.

3) An Employer of mine who owns and operates a medical lab having an IT infrastructure designed by myself to accommodate several certifications (CAP, HIPPA, CLIA, FDA) required to run a medical facility having such stringent restrictions regarding the legal running of the Lab.

My first choice is Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology for their extraordinary Intellectual Property Program. Given my Professional/Computer Science/Mathematics background and coupled with the strong upward momentum in my life, is there any chance for me to be considered at Kent or will these qualities be too soft to avoid an auto-reject?

Secondly, how realistic is it for me to be considered when I have a felony?

Thirdly, I have written a personal statement detailing the drastic changes I have made following my legal troubles. I feel that the story of my past mistakes, and how I was able to overcome such personal blunders, are an integral part of demonstrating why I should be considered for admission. Should I leave this out of my personal statement and write an accompanying addendum instead?

I appreciate the time taken to read my post, thank you in advance for any constructive advice members can offer.

Nova

Re: URM - LSAT 153 GPA 2.49 + Interesting Personal Story

Postby Nova » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

The felony will hurt, but wont be impossible to overcome.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/new-tula ... -murderer/

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26661590/ ... aw-school/

Retake the LSAT for sure. Use this guide for retakers,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

technomedic

Postby technomedic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, both of these stories are more encouragement than I expected to find with my background.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Honestly, you probably have no shot right now.

With a 2.49 GPA, you'll probably need a mid-160's LSAT, to have a chance.

technomedic

Postby technomedic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for your honesty. Do you have any suggestions along with scoring in the mid 160's?

jmsae

Postby jmsae » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Could someone provide advice on Technomedics third question concerning his personal statement. It would be of help to me as well.

It seems like his only option is to retake the LSAT. Yes?

Thank you

Return to “What are my chances?”