165/2.8 (Engineering, Female, Ivy)/Non-URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sillyputty

New

165/2.8 (Engineering, Female, Ivy)/Non-URM

Post by sillyputty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm

+ I can't retake my LSAT because this was the third test I registered for (one cancelled, one sub-par score). I also received a Masters on Tech Policy and finished with a 3.7 gpa. I'd say I have pretty good softs & LoR's from the experience.

I'm interested in practicing tech-related law (privacy or IP). I'd love to practice in NYC ideally (or NE). Where should I (/can I) apply? Will it be worth it?

twenty

Gold

Re: 165/2.8 (Engineering, Female, Ivy)/Non-URM

Post by twenty » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm

sillyputty wrote:+ I can't retake my LSAT because this was the third test I registered for (one cancelled, one sub-par score). I also received a Masters on Tech Policy and finished with a 3.7 gpa. I'd say I have pretty good softs & LoR's from the experience.

I'm interested in practicing tech-related law (privacy or IP). I'd love to practice in NYC ideally (or NE). Where should I (/can I) apply? Will it be worth it?
You're absolutely buggered. I'd go for Hofstra, Syracuse, St. John, and any number of T2/T3-4 schools, but only on a full ride. Problem, of course, is that most of these schools have stipulations on their scholarships (drop out if you lose this scholarship). You're in a slightly more advantageous position if you can do/end up doing IP, but figure that there's a solid chance you'll come out of law school unemployed.

If I were you, I'd come back to law school in a few years once you can retake the LSAT.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Re: 165/2.8 (Engineering, Female, Ivy)/Non-URM

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Alternatively, you could go to the best school you get into that gives you either a full ride or close to a full ride. I'm not sure what the odds of that are, but it may be worth a shot. Your engineering background gives you an advantage because you'll probably be able to take the patent bar, while people without enough academic science credits can't. Patent lawyers are scarce enough to the point where you might have a decent shot of landing a good job after graduation. I would say apply now, but try to save money by asking schools for fee waivers. That way, if you don't get into a school that you would consider going to, you won't end up wasting hundreds of dollars.

Return to “What are my chances?”